UPS Store Won't Ship Any "Gun" Parts

dakota.potts

A couple of weeks ago I had to send off some parts for a potential job. A piece of steel I had turned to fit a Remington 700 receiver and chambered (literally just a piece of scrap steel) and a rectangular delrin block that I had machined with some slide serration style cuts. They gave me a very hard time about this, being "gun parts" (I had listed them as "machine prototypes" on the packing slip). I finally got to ship them, though.

Today I went to ship off a scope I had sold. I put it, with the mounts, in the box and taped it up and brought it in for them to pack it in some protective media and ship it off. About halfway through the paperwork, they inform me that they won't take it because it's a "gun part". Despite my insistence that it's no more a gun part than a hand held astronomy telescope, they were steadfast in refusing to ship it because it goes to a gun in some form.

Just a heads up for anybody trying to ship through the UPS retail stores. Don't expect any common sense or mercy.

JWT

That doesn't seem to comply with UPS regulations as outlined on their website:

"UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)"

I know firearms can only be shipped from the UPS terminals, not their stores. But don't see that listed for parts.

rickyrick

I've done it, no problem.
I have had packages deferred to ups stores. Some are very conspicuous about the contents.

dakota.potts

I raised that point, but there is apparently some division between UPS shipping centers and UPS retail stores which are individually owned and have a different set of policies. I don't understand it all, but I was told by both managers present that UPS retail stores will not take anything gun related. They told me they had turned away people with water guns and wooden model guns as well :rolleyes:

BarryLee

Aren’t these stores franchises and not actually owned by UPS? If so it could simply be the policy of that individual franchisee.

dakota.potts

Barry, I believe you are correct or close. After some googling, it appears this is a very common issue with the UPS store locations, prompting a lot of suggestions to simply go to the hubs or use a different carrier altogether.

mavracer

Yep been that way for a while, luckily the UPS hub is near the indoor range I frequent and I avoid the UPS store.

FrankenMauser

I had major issues with UPS stores in the Salt Lake City area. And going to the hub/terminal was quite a pain, due to where I lived.

The local "Store"​ wouldn't even ship a stock.

Eventually, I gave them "other" answers:
A rifle stock would be a, "decorative wooden fixture."
Barrels became, "high pressure steel tubing."
Small things became, "rotation inducer parts"

And then the local post office finally re-opened, and I didn't have to deal with UPS stores any more.

(For the record: All of the above is only in reference to "uncontrolled" items -- not receivers or firearms.)

FAS1

You would think the UPS store would have to accept UPS shipping terms and regulations to get a franchise. Sounds like they are going rogue.

Damon555

When I ship things like that the place that ships them has no idea what's in the box.....and even when you need to describe the item the terms gun, firearm or anything similar do not get mentioned. I always package things myself.

45_auto

fas1 said:
You would think the UPS store would have to accept UPS shipping terms and regulations to get a franchise. Sounds like they are going rogue.

UPS Store is NOT franchised by UPS. They are totally separate entities. The UPS Store franchisee is only required to accept UPS Store regs and policies.

jonnyc

Another reason I made myself a Fedex account a few years ago. Seal the box, print out the label, drop it off at any Fedex location.

rickyrick

I needed to cash a very substantial check and deposit it into a far away bank.

I found out that UPS does just that; the only catch they told me on the phone was it must be a UPS owned UPS Store.

I called my neighborhood UPS Store and asked if they were UPS owned, he said yes... but, it doesn't matter he said, they are all the same anyway.

So I trotted on down there with my big fat check and it went to my bank account instantly.

So apparently, not even UPS knows.

FITASC

The UPS Store is the old MailBoxes, etc. and they are not allowed to handle firearms; that said, a scope is nothing to do with it

Gunplummer

I stay away from UPS. I have had issues with having to sign for stuff, such as ammo. It may be who sent it, I don't know. FEDEX just throws it on the back porch no matter what it is or who sent it.
It is always good policy to list it as clock parts, window blinds, or whatever. If it goes through a major city listed as gun parts, it will probably be stolen.

I use UPS most of the time. I NEVER go to a UPS store though to ship anything.

Most working there really don't know anything about firearms regs. and shipping.