Upland Sidearm

roy reali

How many of you carry some sort of handgun when you are hunting upland game? If you do carry a handgun, what is it? And why?

I usually carry some sort of rimfire handgun on my belt. You never know when a .22 revolver might be more usefull then a shotgun. I might spot a jackrabbit thirty yards away while walking through the scrub. Yes, my shotgun could handle it, but trying to hit the thying with a revolver seems to be more fun. Plus wasting a rimfire round is more economical. Besides, if the hunting is really going poorly, I'll have a way to entertain myself with some plinking. To be honest, I've hardly ever used one. I guess part of the reason I carry one is habit.

So, how many of you have a pistol on your belt when you are hunting with a shotgun?

reloader28

Never have yet, but I'm going to pack my .44 this year. We have so frickin many grizzlies running around here we dont even go fish the river a 1/2 mile away without a pistol. The last 3 or 4 years have gotten TERRIBLE here. I swear I've moved to Alaska.:mad:

troy_mclure

carried a .22 pistol occasionally. only really used it once and that was shooting small rocks while waiting for my buddies dogs to show back up. :mad:

Jo6pak

I usually carry a .22 pistol as well as the scattergun. I've poked a few cottontails in the past. I don't like picking pellets out of bunnies, so the pistol in my go to for the bunnies

Daryl

I always carry a handgun, regardless of where I'm headed and what I'm doing.

Upland game hunting is no different.

In the past, it's usually been a Colt Woodsman or Ruger Single Six; this year it'll be a Glock 23 for the most part.

I feel sorta naked without a handgun on my hip, since I've been carrying most of my life.

Daryl

jrothWA

Alway carry a .22 when upland,

either M17 or Contender with 10" barrel.

Squirrels or rabbits if not spooked run the sit/turn around. At 57 still nice to do a head shot.