Upland hunting with the ol' SxS

Dave R

Had a great quail opener yesterday. Posted about it in the Hunting forum. Took my old, well used twin trigger SxS. It reminded me why a twin is the best tool for upland.

You can use 2 different chokes--one for the closer, first shot, and a tighter one for the longer follow-up. Or, if you're a better shot than me, you have the flexibility to use two of the same choke.

Likewise, you can use 2 shot sizes, if you wish. Maybe that's 8s and 7.5s. Or 7.5s and 6's, for the near and far shots. Or, if you're in a zone where you may find anything from dove to chukar to pheasant, you can choose the one that's best for what you flushed.

Its almost like carrying 2 guns. Or two of the same gun, as you wish. Flexible.

I suppose a pump or semi gives you a 3rd shot, but I rarely am in a position where a 3rd shot is worth the flexibility of two barrels.

Let me know if you disagree...

oneounceload

Great!.....no one needs more than two shots on upland - as you said, after the second, it is time to gather the dog and move on

Stiofan

I have a Savage Fox SxS and an Ithaca O/U. I prefer a single trigger, it's just a tad faster on the second shot for me.

Dave R

Have you ever used the selector to use the "other" barrel first? I occasionally use the back trigger first, if the flush results in a longer first shot, or if I flush a bigger bird and have heavier shot in the back barrel. Have often wondered whether a selector switch is as useful as a 2nd trigger.

I don't own an O/U because I like my 2nd trigger.

B.L.E.

I have heard of double single triggers where each trigger fires its barrel on the first pull and then fires the other barrel on the second pull.

On my over/under, the barrel selector is also the top of the tang safety and it's no big deal to rapidly select the reverse firing sequence.

zippy13

1-oz, my friend, let's not overlook the old Ithaca Perazzi O/Us. They had optional single or double triggers. I recall double triggers still pictured in the custom section of the Perazzi catalog several years ago. It wouldn't be that complicated to have an extra drop-out trigger unit converted to a double -- then you could have it both ways.

darkgael

Upland

It's almost another month before Upland season opens in PA. I'm hoping all the Trap shooting is worthwhile (though clay birds don't fly behind hemlocks or huckleberry bushes at the first chance.).
I frequently carry a SXS - an old Parker or a LeFever. The "other" gun is an O/U 20 ga.
This year.....I had a lot of fun the other day, shooting at a range up on North Mt., near Beech Glen in Sullivan Co., PA.
I'd wanted to try a muzzleloader on some clay birds, a 20 gauge Fowler with a 42 inch barrel, as well as little .410 Mossberg pumpgun.
The Fowler needed some practical work after some patterning that I had done and I found a load that enabled me to break five in a row at one point.
I was surprised at how well the .410 worked - the targets were breaking cleanly at 30 yards from a foot operated trap. (I know that clay birds are a lot easier to kill than grouse - and I had the advantage of knowing when the target was going up - but it still worked better than I expected).
So.....the old SXSs (twin triggers) or maybe the Fowler....or...
Pete

Last edited:

badge851

SxS guns (16ga & 20ga) are my go to guns. Both have double triggers, extractors. I would rather have two shots with two chokes, than three shots with one choke.

oneounceload

1-oz, my friend, let's not overlook the old Ithaca Perazzi O/Us. They had optional single or double triggers. I recall double triggers still pictured in the custom section of the Perazzi catalog several years ago. It wouldn't be that complicated to have an extra drop-out trigger unit converted to a double -- then you could have it both ways.

Zippy - thanks for the education - I was unaware Perazzi offered that. I have seen a few Berettas on GunsInternational.com with double triggers - and a gun writer friend has a FN Superposed with double triggers and a swan-neck style stock - VERY nicely balanced, and well, those Superposed barrels are something special........