Updates to the P220

IZinterrogator

Just got this today in my e-mail from Sig. Thoughts?

The SIG SAUER® P220 is the pistol that ushered in the DA/SA era and is widely (and rightfully) considered the most accurate out-of-the-box 45 available. With a reputation for accuracy, durability and reliability it is no wonder the P220 is so popular. But December 2005 is the dawning of a new era in the history of the P220. Since it's introduction the P220 was produced with a carbon steel 2-piece slide (like the P228 and P225). Not anymore. Today the P220 features a stainless steel slide with a Nitron® finish and gone is the carbon steel. Additionally, our team of industry leading engineers completed work on the DAK™ trigger for the P220. You can now get this revolutionary double-action only trigger in the P220 in addition to the P226, P229 and P239 models.

That's just part of the new P220 story. Right now, our engineers, in cooperation with their counterparts at our sister company J.P. Sauer & Sohn are doing the final work on a single-action only version of the P220. Imagine the reliability and accuracy of a P220 in a "cocked & locked" configuration.

The final step in the rebirth of the P220 is a "commander" sized version featuring a 3.9" barrel and shorter slide. Yes, you read correctly. This new model (designated the P240) is currently under development in our top secret engineering lab and is expected to debut at SHOT Show...but you heard it here first.

The new stainless slide, a DAK™ trigger, an SAO trigger and "commander" sized model are all evidence of the continued evolution of one of the greatest pistols ever made. To have them all at one time is nothing short of an evolution revolution. Viva La Revolution!

Jehzsa

Will the 220 SA have a grip safety?:rolleyes:
It is one of the greatest pistols of all time. Having said that, how 'bout a 10mm!

stratus

Hmm... Yeah, I think I'd stick with a slightly older one, just because carbon steel is my preference.

And the P220 is definitely in the top three, but it's not the most accurate .45 out of the box.

Billy Sparks

I REALLY like the DAK trigger so I like that, only wish they were talking about makeing a P225 with a DAK trigger but I doubt that will happen. The idea of a true commander size P220 is a good I think they missed the boat with the P245.

As far as a grip safety I really doubt it the 1911 is just about the only single action auto that uses a grip safety.

spacemanspiff

hmmmm, a 220 with my choice of either a DAK or single action with a manual safety?

i'm gonna have to play with the 220 in the shop tomorrow and see if i can fall in love with its ergonomics.

stephen426

I think it is a great idea! I got rid of my P245 because I was getting some rusting even though I had an oiled gun cloth over it. My P229 is still looking brand new and I've had it for over 4 years. I was told that the only draw back to stainless steel is that it doesn't heating up as well as carbon steel. Another thing is that stainless is harder to work with and getting the same tolerances as high carbon steel is difficult. Since this is a "combat gun", I don't think those will be big concerns. Now if it was a competition gun where there were a lot of rounds fired, then it might become a problem.

stephen426

Chris,

Are you sure that the it is the Stainless steel that makes it heavier or is it the fact that Sig machines their slides rather than stampng them that makes them heavier? I noticed this with My P228 and P229 but it just seemed like the P229 was chunkier. If you can keep your P220 rust free, its a great gun. Like I said, my P245 was rusting despite having an oiled gun rag over it. Miami humidity really is tough on guns!