Update AK or buy new AR

Hitme

I'm looking for some opinions/advise on a problem I'm having trouble trying to decide what to do with my MAK-90 Sporter. I have a Norinco MAK-90 Sporter that I bought new (pre-ban) and have shot less than 500 rounds through. I don't like the grip on the thumb hole stock (it's too fat) and the sights are so far off that It ALMOST can't be zeroed.
So...Here's the question: Would it be easier (less expensive) to update the rifle with new stock, sights etc..OR...Trade it in on a new Black Rifle type AR that fires 7.62x39 or even a new type AK with folding stock etc?
I really don't know the value of the rifle as it is now but I would guess that I could get at least $500 on a trade.

rbernie

The MAC90s were high quality items (especially the milled receiver units). It's not hard to convert it to 'normal' AK spec by playing the 922(r) parts game, and that's probably cheaper than selling it and buying into a 7.62x39 AR15 platform. You'll be hard pressed to find an affordable AK of better quality.

Were I you, I would convert the stock using the ACE or Vltor bits, put an Ultimak on the front, and mount a decent red-dot on it. You won't believe how much better a rifle you'll have.....

MrM4

aside from cost the option availible for the AR make it a clear winner, aside from the never fail attitude of a well built AK.

IZZY

I'm looking for some opinions/advise on a problem I'm having trouble trying to decide what to do with my MAK-90 Sporter. I have a Norinco MAK-90 Sporter that I bought new (pre-ban) and have shot less than 500 rounds through. I don't like the grip on the thumb hole stock (it's too fat) and the sights are so far off that It ALMOST can't be zeroed.

First of all it's NOT called a pre-ban if it has the thumbhole stock...that is reserved for pistol griped versions.

Second, if you want an AR just get a bargin bin CMMG. for around 600 USD and be done with the urge to purge.

Third, if the front sight drum is way out to one side, you can also get an adjustable RPK style rear sight.

Fourth, CONGRATS! You just started this weeks AR Vs. AK Smackdown thread! :)

TheManHimself

The Norinco MAK-90 is a very good AK clone, and hard to find these days. Keep it, put a standard AK wooden buttstock and pistol grip on it (playing 922(r) with the required US-made compliance parts, of course), replace the rear sight with a LaRue Irondot, and enjoy a fine piece of Communist military hardware. BTW, the proper Red Army method of correcting a canted FSB on an AK is to clamp the barrel in vise blocks and shift the FSB over a bit with a big hammer and brass punch.

Sixer

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't have to choose between an AR or an AK.

So basically you need both.

Do not, repeat do not sell or trade your AK for anything (other than another AK). You WILL regret it someday, if not immediately.

Your only viable option is to pick up an AR-15 and keep the the AK. "Bargain Bin" CMMG's are the one of the best deals out there now.

You can thank me later :D

Hitme

It looks like the Ol' AK is going to get some new bits. I'm happy that the concensus was to fix 'er up. I really didn't want to sell it since it was my first rifle. Now, the search is on for the replacement pieces.
Thanks to all that responded. I've been lurking out here for a few years and have found the information/advise given here to be of great help in forming my opinions and making my decisions regarding firearms purchases.

gotigers

I am an AR guy, but i would keep the AK and upgrade it. It will be much cheaper to shoot. Save up and get an AR later.

rbernie

Now, the search is on for the replacement pieces.
Is yours a stamped or milled receiver? If you don't know how to tell - the stamped receiver has rivet heads on the sides of the receiver at the front/rear while the milled receiver does not.

You will need to know before you buy new furniture.

IZZY

Chinese AK Parts? ( firing pin and spring are important to Polytech and MILLED norinco's cause they are spring loaded unlike most warsaw pact Ak's) The rest either wont wear out in your lifetime, or is interchangible with other AK's, unless its a slant cut stamped or milled.

http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse-AK-dsh-47/Categories.bok

https://www.apexgunparts.com/

STOCKS for slant cut receivers, top quality
:
http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDAK.html

I have one, very good stuff...you can buy the butt stock alone...

Mannlicher

Hitme, I was faced with a similar dilemma regarding my old Bulgarian milled receiver SA93. Fortunately my SA93 was accurate, so I did not share that aspect with you.

I bought a stock set from K-VAR, and picked up a new two stage trigger while I was at it. The difference is worth the money.
This picture is what it looked like 'before'
5_2.jpg

and this is the maker over look, with the new furniture.
AKSA93.jpg

markman

I know a lot of guys shooting the steel cased ammo from their AR's. Isn't the cost of the 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39 about the same?

I am an AR guy, but i would keep the AK and upgrade it. It will be much cheaper to shoot. Save up and get an AR later.