Unsolicited advice

Casimer

I'm running into a situation at my range that's begun to get on my nerves. My work hours have shifted recently and so I've been going during the late afternoon. Well these seem to be the nagging-guy-with-nothing-better-to-do hours.

Over the past few weeks I've repeatedly had my practice disrupted by people wanting to give me unsolicited advice on my technique a/o use of firearms. This is more than a few friendly tips or opinions, it's persistent and has become intrusive and distracting.

For instance, one guy recently commanded me to give up shooting DA w/ my revolver during rapid and sustained fire series at 25yds. I shoot about 96% in these stages. He did this while looking at a nearly clean target and then proceeded to tell me to focus on the sights and squeeze the trigger. Maybe he thought that I'd missed the target entirely :D

Another had been harassing me for using a sling rather than a bipod w/ my AR in prone. I shoot HP, during which I'm usually wearing a coat and am shooting a match AR service rifle. This guy apparently doesn't know anything about HP and dislikes like my coat because it doesn't present a 'tactical advantage'.

I don't even want to get into some of the comments that have been directed at me for shooting pistols one handed.

I suspect that some of what is motivating this is that I'm a bit younger than other people at the range during these hours. But these men aren't old, just a decade or so older than I am. The 'old' guys actually tend to know what they're talking about and don't harass me.

It just seems that, for whatever reason, the range gets a lot of blow-hards in the late afternoon.

moral of the story: bother to understand what someone is trying to accomplish before giving them advice - and be polite enough to listen to them when they try to explain why they're doing what they're doing.

armoredman

Get a shirt that says "Don't bug me, I know what I'm doing" on the back. Ask to see thier instructor credentials, including NRA Range Safety Officer. Ask them politely to leave you alone, and mention it to management. Have they seen this/done anything about it?

Would be fun to say, "No, thanks, the voices in my head tell me to do it this way, and I trust them a lot more than you."

Dfariswheel

The best way to handle this is to pull your ear protection off one ear to hear what they're saying, say "Thanks" then pointedly put the protection back in place and continue shooting.

If they don't take the hint, either just plain ignore them, or complain to the range officer.
Most of these people mean well, and just want to talk.
They usually won't take offense and won't bother you again.
The ones that do will require you to take it up with the range officer.

redblair

Or you could go the other way and just try to creap them out. A little "Thanks so much! Lets hug!" should send them on their way! :eek:

Seriously, a quick thank you and then back to your business should get them out of the way. If not you can get progressively more direct.

B

T. O'Heir

"...This guy apparently doesn't know..." Apparently he doesn't know that there's no such thing as a 'tactical' anything either. And that bipods are for LMG's and varmint rifles, not target rifles. Got any match patches/crests on your shooting coat? They tend to keep the riff-raff away. They still them give out at NRA matches?

Or you could go the other way and just try to creap them out. A little "Thanks so much! Lets hug!" should send them on there way!

Hilarious!!! But it could get you shot by the others around there.

Casimer, I have seen these types at the gym before as well...and it is usually in the afternoon also...some total weakling trying to give me incline press pointers. Must be something about that time of day. Luckily I live in the country and don't have to go to the range to shoot.

When people do that to me, I pretend I am deaf and sign (language) back to them. They get embarassed and then say "I'm Sooooooooorrrrrrryyyyyyyyy" real slow like I am reading their lips. Then I verbally say 'No problem' and go back to what I was doing. Works everytime.

JohnKSa

Administrator
"Set 'em up and let's have a contest. I win, you do it my way the rest of the day. You win, I do it your way the rest of the day."

rhino

The hug thing is on the right track, but it may not be enough if these guys are really bad.

If you need more, look them in the eye ... hold eye contact for a while ... then tell them you know they're offering to help just because they want to date you. Pretned to write your telephone number for them and by the time you put pencil to paper, they should be long gone.

:D

Casimer

Well these are all very helpful responses :D

Have they seen this/done anything about it?

We only have a RO around when a crowd is anticipated (e.g. hunting season).

One nice thing about this club, is that you don't see the clannishness that you sometimes find at ranges that mix disciplines. It's a very casual, unpretentious environment, and people tend to be sociable. That's why any type of confrontation would require diplomacy. I don't want to embarrass these guys, or cause an incident that other members feel that have to mediate.

But frankly this isn't a huge deal - I'm mostly letting off steam. If things get really bad I'll go with a crazy/dumb/deaf/creepy strategy :cool:

John is right on the mark. These guys are begging to be fleeced.

This guy apparently doesn't know anything about HP and dislikes like my coat because it doesn't present a 'tactical advantage'.

That's the funniest thing I have heard in a while. You need to get one of those hats with the wacky long bills and flaps on the sides and strap yourself onto your target rifle again and see what he says. Or just launch a copy of the match rules at his head the next time he opens his mouth.:D

Even when I had my NRA instructor cerification I don't think I ever gave spontaneous advice to anyone that I did not know, and even with my friends I only opened my mouth if a problem was terrible and could be fixed without a lot of preaching.

I have been on the receiving end of some extremely wise spontaneous advice, though, so it's not like it's always bad. One time I was shooting at a FOP range and one of the cop instructors from the other side of the range walked over and pointed out something quite stupid that I had been doing. Once the significance of the advice sunk in, it improved my shooting.

I don't know what to tell you about these particular oddballs, but don't let the experience sour you on all random advice. There are a few diamonds in the rough.

el_diabl0

There's one guy like that at the indoor range I go to. I cringe when I walk in and he's there. (He works there) I was tying out my new Bersa .380 about a year ago and he walks in and tries to give me pointers. I told him I was OK, but thanks. I'm hitting nice tight groups at about 7 yards at the time. He steps in front of me, asks for the gun, puts up a new target and tells me we each get one shot, let's see who is closest to the bullseye. He fires one about 4-5 inches left of center. He grimaces, looks at the gun and says "this thing shoots to the left". I took the gun and put one dead center and said "it seems OK to me. You mind if I finish this box of ammo now?" He hasn't given me advice since, but he's always a bit of a jerk.

Best thing to do is show them you know what you're doing or try your best to ignore them.

Neophyte1

Saw Vid

FirstFreedom: Sir; Now wouldn't that be something.
Bill Murray "The Man"

I go out of my not to be rude! I'd prefer to just leave, and not bother with the soul. On the other hand;

Given my opportunities; with Private Time is limited;
Given my pre disposition; decency first
Given my patients;

Politely suggest "go away" if I need your assistance;
I'll ask

Next time? My sense of Polite-ness-deceny will have taken a hike

Removing all doubt of my position

Forgot to sign it:

Craig