Unobtanium?

BigG

From Another Thread:

...designing a pistol with clean-room tolerances, using eleventeen parts all milled or stamped from case-hardened unobtainium...

Tamara, as a fellow gunnut, your statement above is intriguing. Now, I'll admit I have been less than overwhelmed by the HK offerings I've seen up to now, but I'd like another chance to understand the allure of the HKP7.

My examination of a couple of these back in the 90s seemed to indicate cast construction with reddish purplish bluing sorta like a 70s Model 94 Win. Just what are the clean room conditions necessary for and what materials is this gem made of that puts it on a plane far above all others?

I admit I was jaundiced against HK when I shot the G3 in Germany with its bb gun grade trigger.

I'm willing to convert, but why should I?

J.Bourne

That word had caught my eye, too. So I did search & here's what I found:

Unobtainium
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Unobtainium is a term used to describe any hypothetical material with properties that are unlikely or impossible for any real material to possess. Such materials often arise in the context of science fiction. For example, the material forming the foundation of a ringworld requires a tensile strength on the same order as that binding an atomic nucleus together. Since no such material is thought to be possible, a ring world is therefore said to be built out of unobtainium. Unobtainium can be used in a disparaging context (eg., "that idea is silly, you need unobtainium wires to hold the planet up!") or a hypothetical one ("if one were to build an unobtainium shell around a black hole's event horizon, what would happen to the material piling up on it?").

The word "unobtainium" is an informal one, apparently developed within science fiction fandom, and probably in ironic reaction to invented element names in, for example, Star Trek; maybe also by analogy with the naming system for the heaviest actual elements.

An alternative source for "unobtainium" exists within the aerospace industry, which has frequently encountered design problems beyond the capabilities of the available materials. Engineers working for Lockheed Corporation at the Skunk works refer to the SR-71 Blackbird as being being made of "unobtainium" because of the radical decision to use an untried new material, Titanium in the construction of this remarkable aeroplane. At the time, "Unobtanium" was required because no known material could withstand the extreme temperatures and stresses of exposure to a Mach 3 airstream.

So Tamara was either jesting, or HK has created the holy grail, in which case, I'll gladly plunk down $1,337 for a new P7. Hell, I'll buy any excess cold-rolled unobtainium they have to spare!!!

C.R.Sam

Unobtanium.
Any material that is so rare or expensive to use as to be beyond the affordability of a common taxpayor.

Often used to market an otherwise mundane device.

Sam

BigG

I misrepresented what I was trying to ask. Unobtainium is not my point. My point is what is this material the HK is made of? Looked like cast steel to me. Am I wrong?

Forged and machined was not apparent in my admittedly cursory examination of a P7. Looked purple, too, IIRC.

Also, what is it about some highly complex manufacturing process? Or is that a spoof, too?

Navy joe

Unobtanium also happens to be a hotly traded internet commodity. A lesser grade of alloyed unobtanium has been discovered and is known by the name balonium. So far it has never quite lived up to it's smelter's claims but holds some value in that it thinks it's much better than it is. Balonium can be bought raw or in a much processed form in gunshops throughout America.

Balonium- A material of unbelievable properties and capabilities. Simultaneously possesses light weight, highest strength, infinite durability, easy workability, low cost, and anything else you want it to be. Makes being a designer easy as long as someone else has to build it. Coined by Col. John Boyd USAF(ret.) recently deceased.

HK P7? Dunno how it's made, just want one. Handled one, it was hard to hand it back across the counter.

Tamara forgot to add. HK's proprietary unobtanium is only hand forged deep inside mount doom on rainy March Sundays by celibate elves. That's why it's so special. ;)

New_comer

I'll gladly plunk down $1,337 for a new P7
You're lucky.

Here, a P7 costs $2100

But there are still several who did plunk down the cash just to "obtain" one.

For the fortunate few, a P7 is definitely not "unobtainium-able".

My time will come...

VVG

The first use of the word unobtamium I am familiar with was in reference to the frame of a 1970 Porsche 917. When asked what the frame was made of, the program director replied "Unobtamium." It may well have been in use before that.

Archer1440

As you can see in this photo, the P7 frames are machined from 4000-series steel billet. This is not a high-volume procedure.

factp7s.jpg

I have never found well engineered and produced firearms to be "overpriced", but I have found that those who do not understand why something costs a certain amount, or are resentful of the attendant price, often simply do not either understand the attributes which command the price, or appreciate the differences.

Similarly, at least some of those who bought and took pride in the Yugo probably did not understand or appreciate the Porsche.

Quartus

BigG, I think you had better start another thread, and leave out the unobtainium quote.

A straight answer to your question is unobtainable on this thread! :D

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Unobtainium, in this case, would be case-hardened carbon steel; there's certainly no major bits on the P7 that are cast, though.

In the words of more than one gunsmith, the case-hardening process on the P7's slide leaves it "harder than woodpecker lips". 'Smiths hate to cut on these things more than any other gun I've owned, even Glocks (another gun that is known for having a rather, um, "aggressively" hardened slide)...

CWL

BigG,

Borrow another P7 for examination. You should be able to make out faint machine marks on the underside of the frame and internals. The finish work is to such a degree that you will not see many machining marks, but you should be able to identify quality & precision.

I don't have any idea how you could have assumed a cast metal construction.

As for hardness, it has always been a subject of discussion over at the Cult of the P7 site. H&K holds some secrets very closely.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=10;DaysPrune=

Jim Watson

It was purple because they let their bluing tank boil down, raising the temperature above the working level. Temperature control is more critical on high alloy or surface hardened steel.
I had a 1911 purpled in the bluing shop this way. With age it turned a nice bronze color. I had it reblued properly because people thought it was a cheap gun. I now wish I had left it alone.

BigG

The last and maybe only P7 I examined was in the mid '90s so a lot of water has passed under the bridge. I was never very enamored by HK guns in the first place and at that time as heavily into 45 autos as I am, I'm certain I wouldn't be caught dead with a "puny" 9mm other than a P08 of course! (Who said I'm not opinionated)?

I also had a chance to fire a HK PSG1 (glorified scoped G3 imho) and was less than blown away compared to the $10,000 asking price. :eek:

You've piqued my interest and I will seek out a P7 at my next opportunity for a closer look.

Handy

While purplish bluing is often cited as a an example of bad bluing technique, I think there is something else going on here. Even some originally black slides will turn purple over time. The slides are the only P7 part that does this. I suspect this may have something to do with the slide alloy. Interestingly, the slides are stampings, but who knows of what.

The P7 is not a glory of craftmanship. There are internal machine marks. The pistol was produced with some of the most expediant techniques, but fits together more like a watch.

STLRN

Macman
Beat me to it but Unobtainium is the name of the plastic/rubber used in Oakley sunglasses for areas that require a grip

BigG

Welp, the P7 mizewell be made of unobtainium because I just got back from the most comprehensive gun show in ATL area and there was nary a one to be found. This show had a German wheellock and Class 3 up the ying yang. There are collectors that go there and show off their Luger carbines, etc. If there wasn't one there I don't know where there would be.

The HK USP any flavor was $595, is that good?