United 93

ShowMeState1977

(I posted this in the wrong section earlier...sorry for the mix up)

Did anyone see United 93? I did. It was very moving. Every US Citizen should watch it.

Opinions?

ESI Agent

Flight 93

Seen it Friday. It was a great movie and well done. Hollywood did it right this time. Very emotional movie. Being in the security industry I thought 911 would change the industry but it's all about "Cheep labor" Security is an important job and is part of the crimianl justice field but just like all businesses it's all about saving a penny. Managers with degrees in accounting making decisions about security who know absolute nothing about security other then how to mess it up. We are not important until something happans and then management starts screaming,crying and yelling and then we are inportant, but when security guard know nothing shows up he's usually part of the problem. Maybe were get it right after the next 911. :(

Wyo Cowboy

Most of Hollywood output is garbage. When a good movie comes out, vote with your dollars. We're looking for a sitter for Sunday afternoon to go see it.

Any takers out there? I pay $4 an hour and all of the Coke that you can drink... plus lots of SpongeBob and Tom & Jerry!! :p

DunedinDragon

Definately worth seeing. It's actually kind of amazing a movie like this could come out without "hollyweirdizing" it and trying to make some kind of political statement.

Nothing political about it. Just the facts and the realities of that day. It really reminded me of how the world got so confusing and disorienting during the first few hours of the 9/11 attack. A nation thrown unexpectedly into the chaos of war.

But when the people on that flight kicked the first terrorst's butt, the audience applauded...and I couldn't have been more proud to be an American. Yeah...go ahead Ahmad...poke that Eagle and see what happens.

steelheart

Yeah...go ahead Ahmad...poke that Eagle and see what happens.
LOL!!!:D

I haven't see it yet, but I think the movie is a good thing. The majority of people in America have forgotten about the atrocities comitted on 9-11-01.

We have America's best in the middle east, killing terrorists - the friends and associates of the scum that murdered 3000 innocent Americans on 9-11. And we have millions of sheeple who are against the war, against the troops and against the President who had the b@lls to go after the threat.

How America has changed since Dec. 7, 1941. It has not changed for the better.

rhgunguy

When I first heard about it my first thought is that it is too soon. Then I realized that it has been nearly five years. My other concern was that the hollywood types would turn it into a movie about why 9/11 was all America's fault.

However, if you folks have seen it-and liked it, I trust your judgement. I will drop the $8 to see it.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
"... Paul Greengrass has taken the all-too-familiar events of 9/11 and has created an emotionally charged human drama without stooping to melodramatics or sensationalizing." by Bob Bloom, Journal and Courier (Lafayette, IN)

UNITED 93 (2006) 4 stars out of 4. Starring David Alan Bashe, Richard Bekins, Cheyenne Jackson, Lewis Alsamari, J.J. Johnson, Trish Gates, Polly Adams, Opal Alladin, Starla Benford, Nancy McDoniel, Susan Blommaert, Ray Charleson, Christian Clemenson and Liza Colon-Zayas. Director or photography Barry Ackroyd. Music by John Powell. Written and directed by Paul Greengrass. Rated R. Running time: Approx. 111 mins.

United 93 is the first truly memorable movie of 2006.

Writer-director Paul Greengrass has taken the all-too-familiar events of 9/11 and has created an emotionally charged human drama without stooping to melodramatics or sensationalizing.

Greengrass and his team, especially director of photography Barry Ackroyd, have been able to recreate the horror, confusion and chaos of that dread day, not only on the United flight, but in the various traffic control centers ? military and civilian ? where people were helplessly watching events unfold without at first comprehending their scope or intent.

Greengrass uses a documentary-like approach to the story. He is non-judgmental, content to present the events as they happen.

Yet the movie still packs an emotional wallop. Despite knowing the outcome, you get involved in the lives of not only the passengers, but of the hijackers as well.

You sit by helpless as the horrors of that black day unfold, one catastrophe building upon another. Greengrass does not manipulate the situation. You mostly see the World Trade Center in the background on television screens. It is merely a backdrop to the main story.

Greengrass also shies away from any political agenda. He refuses to show the hijackers as cartoonish fanatics. He presents them as religious young men, tentative about their mission; men who exhibit doubt and fear as well as deadly determination. The first scene in the movie is the hijackers in their hotel room, reading the Koran and praying.

A claustrophobic aura surrounds the movie. Very few scenes are outdoors. Most of the action is confined to the various traffic control situation rooms and the cabin and cockpit of Flight 93. we see no exterior shots of the plane in flight. We are trapped in that cabin with the passengers, creating a subconscious connection between us and them.

Despite knowing the tragic finale, you root for the passengers ? hoping beyond hope that they will succeed ? when they decide to rush the hijackers and attempt to retake the cockpit.

Smartly, the cast is comprised of actors we do not immediately recognize. Again, since they look like you and I, the bond between performer and viewer is stronger.

Plus, Greengrass has cast many of the actual traffic control personnel to portray themselves, which heightens the authenticity of his feature.

Many people are critical of this movie without even having seen it. They protest that it too early to make a film depicting this one event, that it exploits a tragedy and that a movie studio is making money off the dead.

To them I say, rubbish. Yes, United 93 is a commercial venture that may or may not make a profit for Greengrass, his associates and its studio. But it is also a reminder ? a tribute ? to how in the darkest of times strangers can come together, forge a bond and willingly sacrifice themselves to save other strangers.

United 93 is tasteful and respectful. It is a cinematic monument, an everlasting remembrance to these valiant passengers.

These people can be afforded no better honor than for you to take a couple of hours to see the movie. And, as you walk out of the theater, to say a prayer and a thank you to the courageous men and women of United 93.
(Emphasis is mine.)

I have to agree on all points made above.

If you see no other movie this year, even if you have to force yourself to see this movie, this is the one to see. Don't wait for the DVD. Use your hard earned cash and see this movie. It just may help to make Hollywood more responsive to really good shows instead of the pablum we are normally given... Then buy the DVD when it comes out.

Blackwater OPS

Just the facts and the realities of that day.
LOL, take it from someone who WORKED at the MDW (Military District of Washington) EOC (Emergency Ops Center) what you see in that movie is anything but. Since I cannot produce any proof that flight 93 was shot down, and if I could, I would not, I will leave that alone. (note: I am not actually stating I have any reason to believe the flight was shot down;))

On the other hand the EOC you see in that movie as a high-tech center with high-ranking officers in charge and neat video screens everywhere was a chalkboard, a few phones, and two enlisted men, one or both of whom were probably asleep when the phones began to ring on 9/11. If that's classified then no one told me. BTW, it looks a lot more like the movie version now, thanks to pricey upgrades.

It's actually kind of amazing a movie like this could come out without "hollyweirdizing" it and trying to make some kind of political statement.
At the risk of being flamed or thought of as a nut, that whole story is propaganda, which is immune to liberalist interference.

That said, it is a very nice story and has a theme which more people should take to heart. But don't be sheep about it.

prime8

it is a very nice story and has a theme which more people should take to heart. But d

Im with you on this BWO... The pics and vid footage Ive seen, has the debris strewn over several miles.. Not condusive with an impact with the ground..We may not have proof that it was shot down, but theres no proof of the movies authenticity either!

Quote:
Just the facts and the realities of that day.

LOL, take it from someone who WORKED at the MDW (Military District of Washington) EOC (Emergency Ops Center) what you see in that movie is anything but. Since I cannot produce any proof that flight 93 was shot down, and if I could, I would not, I will leave that alone. (note: I am not actually stating I have any reason to believe the flight was shot down)

On the other hand the EOC you see in that movie as a high-tech center with high-ranking officers in charge and neat video screens everywhere was a chalkboard, a few phones, and two enlisted men, one or both of whom were probably asleep when the phones began to ring on 9/11. If that's classified then no one told me. BTW, it looks a lot more like the movie version now, thanks to pricey upgrades.

Quote:
It's actually kind of amazing a movie like this could come out without "hollyweirdizing" it and trying to make some kind of political statement.

At the risk of being flamed or thought of as a nut, that whole story is propaganda, which is immune to liberalist interference.

That said, it is a very nice story and has a theme which more people should take to heart. But don't be sheep about it.

BWO, you offer up some very interesting points. I had not heard that it was thought it was shot down before. Theoretically, if you were for some reason to believe it was shot down, would you believe our own government did it?

prime8

yessssss

Im with BWO on this too. Why not? It saved lives and vital infrastructure on the ground. Those passengers fate was set when they boarded that plane. I for one, dont blame our govt if they did.

Glock 31

I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen another type of film based on those days that I can say without a shadow of a doubt captured the events that day in crystal clear accuracy and detail.

It didn't come out in theaters as far as I know. In fact I can't really remember where I got it. But it's a dvd. And not just any dvd, it is a documentary.

It was shot by two French brothers who originally were shooting a documentary about firefighters in New York. And putting the fact that they're French aside, these guys did honor by the New Yorkers. I'd be proud to know these two guys. They had their two personal camcorders and where shooting footage of one ladder company in particular.

They got shots of the airliners going into the building.
They got shots of the fire engine responding.
They got shots of the fire commanders setting up a command post in the lobby of one of the towers....

And they got full on footage, from inside the lobby, when the first tower came down...on top of them.

No dramatization, no "hollywoodization". No BS of any kind. Nothing but live footage, shot by the brothers, put together by the brothers, and doing nothing but praising the firefighters and cops who were on scene that day and during the cleanup thereafter. Amazingly the brother that was in the lobby when it came down survived along with a few firefighters.

It shows their escape from the dust cloud and the slow wander back to the fire company in search of his brother. It truly is moving like no other film I've ever seen.

I will watch it again and see if there is any info I can post about how people can buy it or find it. If I remember correctly, it just says, "9/11" on the disc.:cool:

DunedinDragon

Although I didn't see any political grandizing in the film, Apparently it does work effectively as a platform for some people who want to do their own political grandizing....:rolleyes:

Mikeyboy

I seen the Discovery Channel documentry on Flight 93 and lets say I'm glad I watched it alone because it was very emotional and informative. I'll probably see it, I just hope it sticks to the truth because in this case some of the true things that were said and done on that flight are truely remarkable. I'm already hearing stories of Noobs dragging young kids (locally I heard some noob brought his 6 year old daughter) to this movie, like some did with the Passion of the Christ. This will probably be required viewing for High School history lessons, but from what I hear the movie is rated R for good reason. Keep the young ones at home.

stevekolt

We saw it yesterday, and were very moved by how well it was done, and the fact that it reignited our intense anger at the cause. We have never forgotten or forgiven those responsible, and those that aided them, nor will we. One thing that came to mind though....we know that this movie is showing in some areas/neighborhoods where the population may just side with the Islamofacists, and they are probably cheering the destruction. Why is there no mention of this in the media? Or is it really not occuring? My daughter-in-law and I are both R.N.'s, and we were getting ready to go to volunteer at Ground Zero when they announced that they were not able to accomadate any more medical volunteers. How can so many of our fellow citizens seem to be so complacent now? :mad:

FirstFreedom

We have America's best in the middle east, killing terrorists - the friends and associates of the scum that murdered 3000 innocent Americans on 9-11.

We sure do - in Afghanistan. And we also have America's best elsewhere in the Middle East, killing people who had no link whatsoever of any kind, way, shape, form, or fashion, however tenous, to the scum that murdered 3000 innocent Americans on 9-11. They're in Iraq.

Can't wait to see U93....