Unique or Bullseye

rcksil

I am putting a reloading station together for the first time so I would am asking for your advice. In reloading a 45acp and a .38 sp, what would be a good POWDER to use. Primers, I am not sure of those either. Any input would be helpful.
/
The gun is a Ruger p97. I I might shoot wad cutters to start and also load some 230fmj. 357/38 Ruger with a 6" barrel soon. Target shooting indoor range

Last edited:

caz223

To make a more educated guess, we need to know a few more details.
Make and model of your guns.
Intended use.
Bullet weight in each caliber.
For instance, if the .38 has fixed sights, and you intend to shoot a funky bullet weight in it, it may take some trickery to make it shoot to point of aim.
If you have a favorite ammo that shoots to your sights, prolly somebody can guesstimate a factory equivalent, etc.
***EDIT***
If you are getting a progressive, and it's your first, I'd lean toward unique, because it's easier to see a double charge. A double charge of bullseye will still prolly fit in the case, and blow your poor .38 to smithereens.
If you are using a single stage, either would suffice.
Bullseye, of course, would be slightly cheaper. (Edited out burning cleaner, I guess it's subjective. I don't know.)
Titegroup, clays, etc. would be good options, too.
I personally use unique.

Last edited:

Erich

I started out with Unique, figuring it was the most versatile. It kept me happy for years, but I was kicking myself when I bought a can of Bullseye and saw how accurate the target loads are with it.

I'd buy a can of Unique first, and buy one of Bullseye within a month or two. Shoot, they're under $20 . . . . Don't make the mistake I made and do without either of these fine powders.

JoeHatley

In years past I've used both, but when I found my Bullseye loads were consistently a bit more accurate, I use it exclusively now.

Joe

Poygan

I vote for Unique because I think it will be more versatile if you ever branch out into other calibers later. Either will work well in these two calibers.

Leftoverdj

Unique has more versatility, but meters poorly in small charges. Bullseye is excellent for target loads. WW 231 is deservedly popular in your two cartridges.

rcksil

Gun Type

I knew I forgot something. The gun is a Ruger p97. I use factory loads now. On the bullet type/weight, not sure yet, still trying to work out that. I might shoot wad cutters to start and also load some 230fmj. I will probably shoot a 357/38 Ruger with a 6" barrel soon. Target shooting indoor range.

Last edited:

ozzy1038

I have been reloading for 10 years and use bullseye and unique exclusively. I have considered using titegroup or lil gun, but have no reason to try others. The only downside to b'eye is that it is dirtier than unique. But overall for .45 there is no more popular or arguably better powder.

For primers Winchester makes a damn fine product.

donkee

Unique. I load 7.62x38R, .38 special, 9mm, 9x18 Makarov, and .38 S&W with it and can't complain. It will not meter for the .38 S&W since the charges are so small, but the other calibers (4.0 - 4.6 grains) meters just fine.......

rcksil

More Research

Well I see it is like cars and reloading equipment. Maybe I should really find out a little more. Today I used Semi Wadcutters and I really liked them. A friend of mine who reloads swears by round nose lead. I am about to start reloading and a gun show is Aug 20 & 21 and I hear prices are the cheapest there.
MMMMM what to do and how many empty brass cartridges should I make every time I go shooting :D I hear reloading is addicting!