Unique load data

1Victor30

Managed to pick up some Unique powder today. Need some good plinking load data. Lyman's 49 only has data for JHP. I am using Montana Gold 124gr CMJ in my 9mm. From what I can see, loads start about 4.5 and go up to 6.2.

Valornor

If you really want to skimp on powder you might get away with 4.0grns (Try ten and see how they do, it'll exit the barrel but might not cycle the action) , but the 4.5grns look right to me for a starting load.

Valornor

Bullseye has a quicker burn rate the unique. So in theory it should take less bullseye to get the same performance as it would unique. If you used bullseye data for unique you'd get an under performing load. May still exit the barrel, but it may not cycle the gun. You put Bullseye in place of Unique and you might need a change of pants, a new set of eyebrows and a new gun, if you're on the mildly unlucky side.

1Victor30

Lyman #49 has Unique starting at 4.5 and going to 5.0 as max. But that is with a 125gr JHP. Hard to find data on 124gr. FMJ or CMJ bullets.

Valornor

You'll be fine using that data. 1grn in bullet weight isn't going to make a difference at starting or mid loads. Like any load start low and work up.

As long as you are loading for jacket rounds and the bullet weight is the same (or in this case within a grain) you'll be ok. If you started loading for plated or for cast bullets you could get away with backing off the powder a little bit more as they are easier to push down the tube.

edit* You might be able to look up load tables on the bullet manufacturers website.

Jim Watson

One grain of bullet weight, the brand name, and the shape of the nose make no difference in the loading or shooting EXCEPT as they might change the OAL.
Deeper seating, less powder.
Sorry, I don't load Unique and cannot spoon feed you a recipe.

Yes. It's seating depth you watch for changes in because similar percent case fill with similar weight bullets tend toward similar peak pressures until the bullet is so deep the primer starts unseating it before the powder burn builds much pressure. Life isn't always that simple, but it's the tendency within a limited range. Mind you, having the same peak pressure does not mean having the same velocity, as a smaller charge producing the same pressure with a more deeply seated bullet will make less total gas, so acceleration as the bullet progresses beyond the peak will drop off faster.

In case you need to compare seating depths for two bullets:

Seating Depth = Case Length + Bullet Length - COL

mmb713

6.2gr is probably a little too hot. Speer's data (and hence Alliant's data) tops out at 5.8gr of Unique with their 124gr jacketed bullets now. Sierra tops out at 5.6gr and Hornady 5.0gr. Starting loads range from 4.0gr and 4.1gr for Hornady and Sierra to 5.2gr for Speer. 4.5gr sounds like a fairly reasonable starting point but I wouldn't go hotter than Speer's max. Your best accuracy will likely be below that point.

lah2420

I just put this on another post, but here is what Alliant emailed me when I asked about Unique with 125 gr LRN.

115 gr lead bullet
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

115 gr jacketed bullet
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5.5 grs
Power Pistol start 5.9 grs max 6.3 grs

124/125 gr lead
Bullseye start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.8 grs max 5.3 grs

124/125 gr jacketed
Bullseye start 3.9 grs max 4.3 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

147 gr lead
Bullseye start 2.8 grs max 3.3 grs
Unique start 3.2 grs max 3.6 grs
Power Pistol start 4 grs max 4.5 grs

147 gr jacketed
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.

1Victor30

I have a One Book/One Caliber manual that quotes Alliant as saying a 125gr FMJ uses a max of 6.2gr. of Unique and a max of 4.9 of Bullseye. This is what I find so confusing and frustrating about reloading. People quote sources supposedly from the same manufacturer with widely different loads. They can't all be right.

:confused:

rg1

All I shoot in 9MM is jacketed and plated 124 grain bullets. All I use is Unique powder and CCI 500 SP primers. I wouldn't start lower than 4.5 grains which is very light. For a light load 4.8 grains of Unique cycles my pistols and carbine rifle but I prefer 5.0-5.1 grains of Unique with jacketed and plated 124 gr. bullets. I wouldn't go above 5.5 grains. Overall length in 9MM changes pressures more than in some other pistol calibers and is one reason charges vary from one source to another. 4.8-5.2 grains is where I'd load to for good safe 124 grain loads.

1Victor30

Thanks for the input rg1. I now use 124gr jacketed instead of the 115gr mainly because I have some 700x and Blue Dot powder that works better with the heavier bullet. Will work up some loads with the Unique using your input and see what happens. From what I have read, 4.8 to 5.2 sounds about right.

While not the case for 9 mm in Red Dot and Green Dot, it is often the case with other loads not only using Alliant's shotgun powders but even for some of their rifle powders that if you look up the powder as a product, and then click the link to see all loads with it, you will find loads not included on Alliant's Load Data pages. I think they've simply decided some are preferred load recipes relative to performance or error tolerance and whatnot, and only list those in their main data to suggest what powders to purchase.