Unique/.45acp Users ?

amprecon

I've just bought some Unique powder and find that it definitely doesn't meter as well as the W-231 I previously used. I find myself weighing almost every load.
I'm trying 8.0grs of Unique with 200gr Hornady HP/XTP. I haven't shot any yet but expect them to be relatively stout. The Midway Loadmap says that with this bullet, 8.2grs of Unique is max. Has anyone used 8.0grs of Unique with this bullet? What were your results? BTW I'm using a full-size stainless Springfield Armory "loaded" 1911-A1 and also have a S&W 625 that I'll probably shoot them out of.

sricciardelli

I use Unique with the 200 XPT bullet and CCI-300 primer. However I quit at 7.4 grains because I felt this was the real-world max for one of my pistols (alloy frame).

Measured 15' from muzzle, it clocks 1,022 fps.

cheygriz

Unique is a good powder the the .45, but there are better ones out there. I used Unique with 185 GR bullets up to 8.0 GR. Really hot in my gun, and I had to weigh evey charge.

Switch to Hodgdon HS-6 or Alliant power Pistol and work up carefully. You should be able to get more velocity at lower pressure. And both of these powders flow through the measure quire consistently.

If you're trying to get maximum velocity, you were wise to abandon 231. It's too fast for heavy loads, although it's terrific for target loads.

cheygriz

amprecon,

Power Pistol is newer than the loadmaps. IMNSHO, it's the best all around pistol powder that Alliant manufactures.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Not the same bullet, but close - - -

I used to load the Sierra 185 JHC (jktd hollow CAVITY, thank you) with healthy doses of Unique--Up to 8.0 gr. Like so many others, I found that 7.5 to 7.8 was a bit more accurate, and the little Hill Country white tail deer didn't seem to notice the difference.

For what its worth, I loaded 6.5 Unique with 230 RN as a factory duplication load for many years. Just for a lark, I tried loading some H&G #68 LSWC bullets with same charge and exactly same seating stem setting. Worked flawlessly, and was/IS a quite accurate load, at about 900 fps.

If I were still shooting deer with my .45 ACPs, I'd be tempted to try the 200 gr. XTP with about 7.0 to 7.5 Unique.

It is possible to really "soup up" the .45 ACP, but the nearer you stick to pressures similar to the 230 FMJ/830 fps load, the longer your pistol will last. Lighter bullet? Okay, fine, a bit higher velocity. But there's little use in trying to make the .45 auto do the work of a .454 Casull, or even a .45 Colt. ;)

Best,
Johnny

Jamie Young

I've just bought some Unique powder and find that it definitely doesn't meter as well as the W-231 I previously used. I find myself weighing almost every load.

that is the reason I'm going to move onto another powder. It seems like its got energy but I can't stand loading in a Progressive when I have to double check every charge.

Steve in PA

I use Unique for loads in my Sig P220 and don't have any problems metering it. It doesn't meter as well as say HS-6 which I use for my 9mm, but still...no problems to report.

dfm

Unique has been the classic powder to use in the .45 ACP since the beginning of time. Howver, it doesn't meter well and burns dirty whether new and improved or old stock. There's better powders out there today and with the already mentioned ones I'd like to add WST. Clean burning, accurate, excellent metering characteristics, and reasonably priced it's become a favorite of mine for the 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP.

dfm

blades67

I just rolled some 200 grain Meister Fully Metal Kased bullets with 6.8 grains of Unique in a PMC case with a CCI 300 to light the fire. I like Unique for its versitility, not because it's the cleanest, or fastest, burning powder.

Newservicecolt

Unique is unique because it is versatile.
As for metering, that is really a moot point with a properly adjusted setup. You might get a .1 or so variation to the light side in a 7 gr charge, which is absolutely meaningless to performance. If you get variations to the heavy side, you pronbably didn't settle the powder very well in the hopper.

NSC

Jamie Young

I'd like to add WST.

I picked up 1lb of that stuff and was pretty disappointed with it. It was flat out weak. I think the max load is 4.9gr and I felt like I was shooting a 9mm. I'm sure if I had adjusteable sights on My Colt I wouldn't be complaining but I had a heck of time trying to shoot 25yds and not have to hold over what I was aiming at. I'm in the process of finishing off the last of My Unique (It doesn't meter well) and I still have some WST laying around. I really need to find something else to use for 45ACP.

Sarge

Unique & the .45 auto...

I loaded many pounds of this powder in .38/.357/.44 & .45 loads over the years, but since the introduction of Universal Clays I've pretty well quit Unique. Universal meters better and gives good accuracy when the optimum load for a particular gun is found. It seems to burn a bit cleaner in my guns as well. Check the Hogdgon's site for current specific data, but I've had good luck loads about .2 under max and any decent 230 LRN/SWC in my Colts.

dfm

SodaPop,

Can't agree with your opinion of WST. Use 5.1 w/200grn LSWC and 4.6 w/230grn. LRN. in conjunction with CCI 300 primers, range cases, and a good hard taper crimp. Shoots to POA in 5 different fixed sight 1911's of various manufacture. Very clean, accurate, and affords excellent functioning.

dfm

Jamie Young

Can't agree with your opinion of WST. Use 5.1 w/200grn LSWC and 4.6 w/230grn. LRN. in conjunction with CCI 300 primers, range cases, and a good hard taper crimp. Shoots to POA in 5 different fixed sight 1911's of various manufacture. Very clean, accurate, and affords excellent functioning.

I still have about 3/4 of lb of it downstairs. I just got a 500, 230gr FMJ, via UPS and I'll try to test your mentioned "4.6gr" load out this weekend. I have a Colt 1991A1 that I've done previous tests with. I filed down the front sight a little bit because I had to hold over whenever I tried to shoot sporting clays at 25yds.

I've basically been testing various loads trying to "zero" the gun in with 230gr FMJ's with the fixed sights I have. The WST loads felt very weak compared to the factory American Eagle ammo I compared it with. I'll give it another try though.

Jamie Young

Update!

I shot your suggested WST load with 230gr FMJ's and they did exactly what you said they would. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE! It is a much lighter load but it is accurate. I compared it to 6.5gr of Unique and it beat it out.

hps1

Used Unique for 45ACP for years but recently switched to Accurate #5. Cleaner burning and meters better.

Regards,
hps