unintentional mag releasing on an M&P .40

Tophe

My buddy has an M&P .40S&W sub compact, and the last two times I went shooting he has had problems with the mags releasing while he is shooting. He thought at first it was because he had changed his grips, but he changed them back today and same thing. I shot about 6 rounds through it and had it release once in the middle.

Has anyone heard of a problem with this? He tried gripping it with a strong grip, and making sure his hand and fingers were away from the mag release, and it still dropped. I wish I had some video of him shooting to analyze to rule out a grip problem. I am mostly curious if anyone has heard of a malfunction causing this, or anything for him to try.

Uncle Malice

The M&P mag releases are extremely easy, which I actually like. I have the 9c and haven't had this happen while shooting. I had it drop once when i was picking it up and my thumb touched the button.

The most likely cause is, as you suspect, just bumping the mag catch. It just takes such little pressure on the m&p to release it that you hardly notice doing it.

I prefer that to the very hard pressure required on my XDm though. Actually have to apply a little bit of upward pressure to release a full magazine in the XDm.

m&p45acp10+1

switch the mag release to the other side. I had to do this with my 45. Then again I shoot it left handed. When i had it on RH side my finger kept hitting it. Switched the side of the relase(took about 5 mins to do) and no more problems. Only mag problem I had with slide coming out was with a full loaded mag and one in the chamber if I did not force the mag in till it caught.

The_Shadow

Be sure the ammo is set firmly to the rear of the magazine by tapping it. Be sure to tap the magazine up all the way into the frame.

Has he tried another magazine? Check the place on the magazine to see if it has a problems with catch notch or the mag release itself.

Tophe

He only has two magazines, one with the pinky extension and a regular short one. The mag notches on both mags look to be in good shape. I cant speak for making sure the bullets were tapped to the back, but I know he has made sure to insert the mag all the way.

I am wondering if the mag release has become weak or something. I dont know exactly how those are setup, but is there something to look for there?

TxPhantom

I have three MP's ( MP 9c, MP 9 Pro & MP FS 40 caliber) and have never had that problem with my compact or any of the others. Call S & W service (1-800 331-0852) for advice or a free shipping label. They have great customer service with quick turn around.
I had some problems with my MP 9c not firing the last round in the magazine and locking back the slide. I had to send it back twice. They fixed it the 2nd time (no problems since) and sent me a extra magazine for my trouble.
I've never had any kind of malfunction with either of my other MPs. Love my MP's!!!:)

Old Timer

My M&P .40 had similar problem. But I discovered it was not the gun's fault. I use a "thumbs forward" grip and my right thumb, when pushed down by my left thumb, hits the mag release. I could do one of three things:

1. Cut off my thumbs.
2. Use a different, less effective, grip.
3. Move the mag release to the right side.

I chose option #3. I now use my index finger to release the mag from the right side. Problem solved. :)

Tophe

I will have to run that by him. Its probably a good way to rule out if it is a malfunction of the gun too.

Im glad you didnt choose option #1 ;)