Unforseen Circumstances

Oldphart

I had an interesting thing happen this morning that illustrates (at least, to me) how even the best training leaves us sometimes vulnerable to mistakes.

I woke up about 6 am and lit up my computer. While it was warming up I heard a crash and a car alarm sounding off in the neighborhood. I ran to the door and saw a Jeep laying on its side in the middle of the street a few houses down. It had hit a parked car and flipped. Obviously, it had been speeding.
I've had a lot of training over the years, for things from law enforcement to self-defense and-- most recently-- first aid. When I saw the car, my first thought was for injured occupants, so I grabbed my first aid kit and headed toward the wreck. When I was about a hundred feet away from my door, a small sedan backed very quickly down the street and the driver of the Jeep piled into the passenger side and they sped away, nearly running me down. It was then that I realized that I should have grabbed my shotgun instead of a first aid kit.
When the police finally showed up, we found that the Jeep was stolen and packed full of stolen computers and construction tools. Not only that, but the small sedan used as a getaway car was stolen too. We had evidently been introduced to a full-blown burglary ring.
The point I'm trying to make here is that, while I recognized the wreck as an emergency, I didn't realize what type of emergency it was. I know that if I had grabbed the shotty and stopped the car-- or worse yet, blown the tires out, I might well have been in more trouble than the burglars, which is a subject for a whole differnt thread, but I also know full well, looking back, that's exactly what I should have done. I just wasn't prepared, and I pride myself at being just that. I guess it can be called a "wake-up call."

HappyGunner

A lesson learned

I used to be a person who would quickly try to come to the aid of others I thought were in need of help. I have learned from things I have seen happen and people like you who post what has happened to them. I know am not so quick to think people are really needing help. As you found out they would have run right over you and could have cared less. :mad: My City is full of our new found friends and they our new found friends are involved with much of the small minded street crime. They cause a lot of damage to many of the people who don't understand who they are. :rolleyes:

Rojoe67

Just an idea.....

Sound alarm first (call 911) and report accident. If you have a cell phone you can do it as you work your way to the site of the incident. Sure, it's easy for me to say how to react but it's up to each and every man to do what is right for him. I wouldn't have thought to grab a firearm either in this case. A cell phone is a great idea to call for help and advise dispatcher what you see and have in front of you. A good eye for details and the environment in which the site is located is all helpful.

Sorry to hear your good deed and idea was a dangerous mission. Glad the scum baggers didn't cause you any harm. Your action of concern and motivation to help those you felt in need show your a good person. My hat is off to your fast action. ;)

USP45usp

It is shameful that our good actions (trying to help) is met with more and more criminal activity (stopping to help people and it's a setup, running to help and they turn out to be criminals that would run you over, etc..).

That is one of the reasons that I have a cell. If I went out to help (have had CPR/1st Aid classes and some battlefield care training while in the military) the first thing I would have done is ring up 911 on the cell and then give them a moment by moment accout of what was going on.

To those that laugh and point at us who say that we are armed when we get dressed in the morning, almost 24/7, this gives a great example of why one should do so (even in the shower, no, not have it on you while in the shower but near). Crimes don't happen at your convinence or when you are prepared for them.

Glad you are okay Oldphart. And thanks for the lesson.

WayneII

Fjolnirsson

even in the shower, no, not have it on you while in the shower but near

I've found those cheap nylon shoulder holsters to be perfect for wearing in the shower. You just scrub underneath them. :p :D

Sir William

BTDT. A few months ago I rolled on a TC that involved a T-bone. I was first on the scene. A little old lady was traveling through the intersection when a speeding meth freak had crashed into her. The meth freak was behaving rather wildly and unpredictable. I advised dispatch to roll PD ASAP and stop EMS until the scene was safe. I was standing by the little old lady and watching the meth freak until the PD arrived and hooked him up. No license, expired registration, no insurance and there were active warrants on the meth freak. EMS checked out the little old lady and she refused transport. Later at the jail, meth freak went off and became violent. He had a head injury but, he was feeling no pain. It is sad. FDs have to be alert on residential fire alarms also because of the meth labs.

tyme

Administrator
I know that if I had grabbed the shotty and stopped the car-- or worse yet, blown the tires out, I might well have been in more trouble than the burglars, which is a subject for a whole differnt thread, but I also know full well, looking back, that's exactly what I should have done.
There is no way you could have known at the time that they were burglars and car thieves. You can't stop all crime in the world. Maybe you should have grabbed a handgun along with a first aid kit.

Suppose there hadn't been any felons involved. If you had grabbed a shotgun before approaching the jeep, what would they have thought?

What would you think if you had just gotten in a wreck and someone was approaching you with a shotgun? Not to mention that the Law in most urban areas frowns on private citizens who carry shotguns in public, which is technically what you're doing as soon as you step past the curb.

N.H. Yankee

I rarely respond anymore, I call 911 and stand by in case of fire. When I took advanced first aid in the Air Force we were told about numerous lawsuits. People like you and me just trying to help, if you start CPR you are both morally and in some or all cases legally bound to continue until help arrives.

You pull someone from a vehicle and they say you injured them or made their injury worse you most likely will be sued. Sadly this is the country of $$$$ litigation, thank the trial lawyers for that, you cant even help your fellow American anymore without subjecting yourself to financial ruin. We can thank the Clinton administration for frivilous lawsuits, but then again who was it that donated so much money to his campaign, TRIAL LAWYERS OF AMERICA! The only way I assist is if the vehicle is on fire, then I cannot stand by.

I also would not go out with an exposed weapon, I carry silently ( concealed) you could be mistaken for a perp and things could go very wrong. The perp could also see you as a threat, or a bystander may also see you as a threat.

Glenn E. Meyer

When I lived in Oregon, we had a ice storm. About six AM, I hear a crash and look outside and see a pickup on its roof. Thus, I look for pants, etc. and then I see the dude climb out of his truck and start kicking it - back to bed.

Lawyer Daggit

At St John's First Aid training in Australia they teach you to approach any accident scene with caution so as to ensure that you do not become a casualty yourself. This is an object lesson in the range of potential risks that may arise.

Bravo25

Here is an added twist... Most states have a good simaritan law where you can be charged for failing to offer aid. If you had a gun, and shot at the fleeing felons vehicle you would have been charged with discharging a firearm. As I read elsewhere "we are all guilty, we just haven't poured over enough laws to find which ones we are guilty of"

Lawyer Daggit

Another issue- just because they had just conducted a robbery does not mean that they should not receive first aid.

Laws in your area may not permit you to discharge a firearm in this circumstance either.

tarpleyg

just because they had just conducted a robbery does not mean that they should not receive first aid
My moral code dictates otherwise. I am not a doctor and did not swear an oath. Trash is trash and needs to be taken out accordingly.

Greg

LAK

When you become aware of anything out of the ordinary a basic rule of thumb is; do not simply take off and run to it. Walk - approach with caution - evaluate as you approach. You can always quicken your pace, or switch to a run once things become clearer.