Unfired 66-1

Elerius

There is an unfired, NIB S&W Model 66-1 for sale on GB right now. Pinned and recessed. I would love to buy it, but I'm sure it will go higher than I could afford. How much would you guys be willing to pay for such a gun? In my random searches, I don't see very many of the P&R 66's for sale in the snub nose variety, (although there are several of them for sale at the moment) but I've never seen an unfired one for sale. Is this something rare enough I should jump on when I see it?

I remember a thread I started some time ago about a 2.5 inch 19-3 and finding one unfired, and told it would be a rarity. In the time since then I did see one, more then $1000. Is this 66 more rare of a find then that?

Siggy-06

I believe the model 66's are more rare and sought after than the model 19's (especially with the 3 inch barrels). And unfired model 66 will run over $1000 bucks on gunbroker easy.

CajunBass

I paid $750.00 for an unfired 66 (no dash) in the box with all the papers and tools a couple of years ago. I kept it for a while, but never fired it, before realizing I wasn't going to fire it, and then sold it to real collector for the same price.

These days, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one like it for over a grand.

Today, I wouldn't buy one like that. I know I'm not a "real" collector. I tried it and it's not for me. I don't shoot near as much as I used to, but the guns I have I can shoot without feeling guilty about it. No matter how much I tell myself they're made for shooting, they don't make them anymore like that, and once fired, can't be unfired.

MrBorland

Generally, 66s aren't all that rare, and the 66-1s don't command a particular premium, AFAIK. I would buy it only if I needed it and intended to shoot it, so unless it was a rare 3", I personally wouldn't go above $650.

Siggy-06 said:
I believe the model 66's are more rare and sought after than the model 19's (especially with the 3 inch barrels).

A 3" M66 is rare, but a 3" M19 is über-rare, and would fetch a prince's ransom. I only ever saw a picture of 3" M19, and that was once on another forum, posted by someone who's dad carried it in the FBI. I've never seen one in person, but I have seen a couple of 3" M66s.

Elerius

I wouldn't give much for any gun if all I could do is look at it

I understand that sentiment, however, I wouldn't be buying it to look at. Even though I'll feel guilty initially, once it's been fired, it's not NIB anymore and I can enjoy it. I bought a NIB 1981 Model 10 snub, and fired it. Wasn't so bad. The thing is, I'm still pretty young, but I love the beauty and craftsmanship of revolvers, and I love the idea of buying a "new" old gun and putting some use on it. Like my classic rock bands that may stop touring any year now before I get a chance to see them in concert, revolvers like an unfired 66-1 snub will just get ever more rare the longer I wait, and ever more expensive. And the rarer they are, the worse it will be to have to put bullets through them.

Siggy-06

Try looking into a model 19 in a 2.5 in barrel for a cheaper price, unless you want the 66 because it's stainless. Imho I like the older s&w revolvers in that classic blue with wood grips.

Also look into ruger's older security six series for more great shooting .357s. They're usually much cheaper than s&w's too.

Elerius

Yes, I want the 66 snub in particular to keep my collection rounded. A 4 inch model 19-4 or earlier in blue is on the list, so it will stay balanced

Viper99

Had a S&W mode 19 4" barrel that had only been dry fired. I bought it for $600 bucks. After about a year of owning it, fired it a week ago.

As someone said before, I won't pay a premium for such a gun because I know that eventually, I will fire it. After all, is that not the joy of having the gun?

BigJimP

In my area....it would probably sell for around $ 800 ..../ a 4" new in box would be closer to $ 900 or $1,000...

Model 66's in 2 1/2" aren't hard to come by ....New in Box / or lightly used...

orionengnr

If you are going to shoot it, why are willing to pay the premium price for an unfired example?

There are some (not tons, but some) very nice low/moderate-round-count M66s and M19s that would cost a fair bit less to buy, and you would end up with the same thing...a nice, fired M19/M66.

I just don't understand paying $1000 or better for an unfired revolver, and then firing it...devaluing it immediately...when you have far more choices in the $600-750 range...and the end result is the same.

Maybe I'm missing something. Do you just want to pop that cherry? And are you willing to throw away $250-400 to do so? Sounds a bit perverse to me, but that's just me, and again, maybe I'm missing something...