Unertl Scope Mounts

Redlg155

I was re-reading "MARINE SNIPER" by Charles Henderson and happen to come across a chapter on page 117 (for those who have the book) that had me wondering.

I took out some to get to the point..

The recoil sent the Unertl scope sliding forward in its mounts as the bullet cracked across the open land,.........The Marine sniper pulled the scope back to the rear position,

My question is that do these mounts actually move with the firing of the rifle, requiring the shooter to 'reset" the scope, or is this part of the writers creative writing? I could also be reading this wrong.

If this is true I would think that a precision optic would have as few moving parts as possible for repeatability. Perhaps it was designed that way to buffer the affects of recoil on the scope.

Good Shooting
Red

AR-10

The mounts don't move.
The scope does.

It is mounted in a set of rings that are in turn attached to brackets on the rifle. The rings are adjustable to some degree but basiclly they hold the scope in a position that allows it to slide with recoil and then return to a repeatable zero. One of the rings has a large spring between it and the scope to push it back into position automatically.

It sounds wierd, but if you saw it you would see that it is a great system and makes for a very acurate scope that will not suffer from recoil stress. It was designed this way so that the adjustments for widage and elevation are external. when you adjust for windage there is a post that goes through the back(?)ring that pushes against the body of the scope. The reticle is stationary.

It is rather outdated now, but it was the scope at one time.

They are still much in demand by some and sell for between $500.00 and $800.00 used.

Do a web-search on unertl and you will find more info.

hps1

AR10 is correct. The Unertl has fixed reticle and a square "spline" running about 7'' longitudinally on top of the tube. The front ring acts as a vee block which cradles the scope with a spring loaded plunger pressing downward into the vees and a square keyway @ 12 o'clock to index the scope. The back ring has an elevation micrometer knob on top and a windage micrometer knob on the right side (12 o'clock and 3 oclock) . At about 7:30 is a spring loaded plunger which holds scope against the two adjusting knob plungers.

The recoil spring has a collar which fits on the spline and allows shooter to adjust the spring tension between the collar and the front scope ring as necessary to return the scope to "battery" after each shot. Many experienced marksmen prefer to leave the spring loose and return scope to battery by hand after each shot to avoid any possibility of inconsistentcy. On a 12-13# 30-06 the 2" objective lense unertle moves forward about 1 1/2" w/spring disconnected on every shot.

Regards,
hps

Redlg155

Ahh..thanks for the replies. It gives me a bit of a better understanding about the rifles used.

Good SHooting
RED