Underwood and Lehigh Ammunition

HighValleyRanch

tried the Underwood LeHigh Captivators in my seecamp.
Had a mixed experience. Wasn't able to do a chrono test yet, but they felt hotter than the Golddot .32 acp.
But the problem was that most fired fine, but one out of ten would have a hard primer and take a couple of trigger pulls to ignite. Seeing this was random, gave me worries about using this as my main carry. Firing pin and spring and Main spring had been replaced, so it was not the fault of the pistol. So maybe random hard primers?

74A95

tried the Underwood LeHigh Captivators in my seecamp.
Had a mixed experience. Wasn't able to do a chrono test yet, but they felt hotter than the Golddot .32 acp.
But the problem was that most fired fine, but one out of ten would have a hard primer and take a couple of trigger pulls to ignite. Seeing this was random, gave me worries about using this as my main carry. Firing pin and spring and Main spring had been replaced, so it was not the fault of the pistol. So maybe random hard primers?

CAVITATOR not captivator.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/colle...reme-cavitator-ammunition?variant=13337135428

bassJAM1

I spent several hours one evening reading various forums and watching youtube videos on these.

My opinion, they were designed purely to do well in ballistic gelatin, appearing to create that "hydrostatic shock" that fast moving rifle rounds can create. I have a hard time believing that the damage shown in gelatin translates to a human though.

You have to remember that ballistic gelatin is just the best representation we have today of a human body, but at the end of the day it's still a very constant block of goo.
On the other hand the inside of a humans is anything but consistent, where a bullet could go through skin, bone, muscle, fat, and several different very different organs.

I guess if you were going to load your handgun with ball ammo anyway the LeHigh MIGHT perform a little better than that in the real world, but I still have my doubts.

Bottom Gun

I’ve watched a few of the online videos as well. In some, they compare the Lehigh bullets to Gold Dots, HST, XTP, etc. In most cases, the Lehigh bullets appear to create a larger upset cavity than the hollow points do while still penetrating as far or farther than the expanding bullets.
Why wouldn’t those results translate to more damage in natural tissue?

74A95

My opinion, they were designed purely to do well in ballistic gelatin, appearing to create that "hydrostatic shock" that fast moving rifle rounds can create. I have a hard time believing that the damage shown in gelatin translates to a human though.

The same critique could be applied to hollow point bullets, since ballistic gel results are ballistic gel results. If you deny gel results of one bullet you have to deny them all.

bassJAM1

The same critique could be applied to hollow point bullets, since ballistic gel results are ballistic gel results. If you deny gel results of one bullet you have to deny them all.

My critique is more than the Lehigh design depends on consistent material to create those wound channels. It's not depending on the bullet touching tissue to create damage, it's assuming that the bullet displacement will create what essentially amounts to "pressure waves" that will create the damage. But the human body is not one consistent blob of soft tissue, so those pressure waves may or may not travel or be effective.

At least with a hollow point you are relying on the bullet to expand, and that expanded bullet to create damage to any tissue it actually touches. I've field dressed and butchered enough deer in my days to see exactly how hollow points work.

Deja vu

I used the Underwood extreme penetrator (357 magnum 140 grain) from a carbine to get a small mule deer this year. Worked well, the meat around the wound was a little more bloodshot that normally with a 357 carbine.

No complaints from me.