Under Cut Trigger Guard

Shadi Khalil

Hello all. Happy Saturday.

I recently purchased a replacement back strap for my M&P 9c from this guy...

http://www.noequarter.com/custom-mp-back-strap/

I bought the "griptape" version and love it. I love it so much, I've decided I would like to have the front strap of the pistol stippled to the same texture as the back strap. I discussed it with Brain (owner) and he said along with the stippling, he would also under cut the trigger guard if I liked.

I've never had a pistol with an under cut trigger guard and was wondering how it worked out for others. I'd hate to have it done then not like it as its obviously permanent. However, I would not mind being able to get a higher hold considering the shorter grip. Please share your under cut experiences, good or bad.

Thanks.

dgludwig

Though an under-cut trigger guard does offer a slightly higher hold (a good thing, generally), it's so slight that I wouldn't pay the cost of the alteration necessary. Even if the work was done for free, I'd be concerned that the value of the pistol would be adversely affected. On the other hand, if you know you're going to keep the pistol and cost is no object, go for it.

Shadi Khalil

dgludwig,

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the effectiveness of having it done. As far as the cost go, he would do all the work for $50, which I think is very reasonable. I would not be worried about the resale value as its not something I foresee selling.

Sevens

I definitely went with the end of that sentence -- I figured I would have no plans to sell so I did it and didn't look back.

Pistol is my EDC, Glock 29. I got it in October, 2008 and it was after my first shooting session, I gave my buddy the go-ahead to hit it with a Dremel. He is far more skilled with a Dremel than I will ever be and taking out a good bit of plastic in EXACTLY that area did instant wonders for me and I simply wouldn't have it any other way.

I have no plans for more Glocks -- but if I did, dishing out precisely that spot would be a "day one" priority.

My hand is higher
My bore axis height is LOWER
Everything is better, especially with the firm snap of 10mm.

As to "value" or resellability, it seems pretty cut & dried: it is a very bad idea if you have plans to sell or trade the pistol.

But it's soulless tupperware. ;)
It's a hand tool that does a job. It's not like grinding half the horse off a classic Colt.

Limnophile

I haven't undercut the triggerguards of any of my CZs, but I'm tempted to do so. Not to get a higher grip or reduce the height of the bore axis, although those are excellent benefits, but to make the grip more comfortable. After gripping any of them for any period of time, my middle finger, just above the 2nd knuckle, due to the right side of the triggerguard digging in there, starts to hurt. Dehorning the edges of the triggerguard would help, but it's obvious that my middle finger would like to sit a bit higher on the front strap, not by much, perhaps a 16th of an inch at most.

Grip your pistol as high up on the back strap as possible, then look to see where your middle finger is vs where it wants to be. If it wants to be higher you have nothing to lose by getting the undercut.

Sevens

Later, if I get a chance, I will put up a picture of mine. Not pretty, but it's a Glock. Insert polishing/****s comment here. It really works for me.

marine6680

Doing the undercut on a glock is more useful than the m&p.

The m&p trigger guard is thinner, so you can not remove much material.

TunnelRat

Not to get a higher grip or reduce the height of the bore axis, although those are excellent benefits, but to make the grip more comfortable.

This. My M&Ps have some of the most diminutive undercuts of any of my striker pistols. I still love shooting them, but I wouldn't mind a bit more of an undercut.

Shadi Khalil

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'll probably just go ahead with the under cutting. I'll post pics whenever I get the work done.