Under-Appreciated J.C. Higgins .22

FunGramps

Gun prices have gone off the charts lately, but I think because of this, some of the well-preserved Sears models are now fetching what they are worth.
Ten years ago, a clean and unmolested Sears Model 29 (.22) would sell for $150, give or take.

Minty specimens are selling for close to $300.00 or more now, if you can find one. These were made by High Standard for Sears. And we all know that High Standard lived up to its name. IMO, the model 29 is a beautiful piece, with a high degree of workmanship in every part, including the stock. Aluminum rod in the feeding tube? Nope. Brass. Plastic trigger guard? Nope. Blued steel.

I will never sell mine. It was made in 1954, and although used, it's as close to NOS as you'll find. Let's hear it for well made American rifles that were cherished in the day, but never all that well received as collectable.

Does anyone else here have a Sears gun which, like Rodney Dangerfield, gets no respect? :)

Scorch

but I think because of this, some of the well-preserved Sears models are now fetching what they are worth.
Several times what they're worth, actually. Many of the older JC Higgins/Sears guns were never worth that much to begin with, and all of a sudden they're gold or some kind of unobtainium. Lots of the old guns you can't get parts for.
Makers like Nobel and High Standard made lots of Sears guns, and they're long gone so no parts. So yes, you can find private-branded guns from Marlin and Winchester, but they're gone too, so good luck finding parts. But you'll find that a lot of the old 22s work fine, at most they'll need a good cleaning.

jar

JC Higgins Model 42:
medium800.jpg

JC Higgins Model 28:
medium800.jpg

FunGramps

Several times what they're worth, actually. Many of the older JC Higgins/Sears guns were never worth that much to begin with, and all of a sudden they're gold or some kind of unobtainium. Lots of the old guns you can't get parts for.
Makers like Nobel and High Standard made lots of Sears guns, and they're long gone so no parts. So yes, you can find private-branded guns from Marlin and Winchester, but they're gone too, so good luck finding parts. But you'll find that a lot of the old 22s work fine, at most they'll need a good cleaning.
With so many thousands of them made, aren't there vintage gun boneyards to buy from for parts? Online, maybe?

FunGramps

My first gun. Marlin Mdl 81
As a kid, must have put a million rounds down range. Never had a scope until a few years ago. (Sears and Roebuck)

k7DzBuY.jpg
Nice bolt action! The best lever action I ever had was a Marlin 30-30 in the early 80's. I kick myself for selling it for $160 in 1985. One of the best modern .22s is still the Marlin. Their model 40 semi-auto is one of the top dogs, and still very well made.

Ricklin

No longer a secret

I have been haunting pawn shops and used racks for years, lately? Not so much, the secret is not a secret any more.

I shall include myself when stating there are many fans of blued steel and walnut guns. While the guns with the name brands command high prices, their department store equivalents did not.

I see little if any differences in "quality" per se. Typically the department store equivalent might have very plain walnut, no or limited checkering, and / or other measures designed around lowering the cost. Lower end scopes were often included and sold as a package.

The word has been out for years now. What may claim the number one spot of the dept. store guns is the JC Higgins models 50 and 51. I have a model 50 in .270, it also came in 30.06 great rifle, built by High Standard.

There are a bunch of examples that are similar. The High Standard auto .22 had a Sears model gun too.

While they may be plain jane, the quality is there.

pesky darn internet.

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Ahhh, the 28 from the right side view I don't see as much resemblance of Rem 552. If it's typical H.S. it should be a darn good rifle. Definitely a keeper in my book.

OneFreeTexan

Many of those’off brand’ guns had some unusual features, that the name brand didn’t. I got a bunch of them about 15-20 years ago when they were cheap

John Stimson

That JC Higgins 28 was made by High Standard and only for about 6 months in the second half of 1951.

medium800.jpg
There were several versions of the Model 28 and the time between the first listing in a Sears Catalog and the last was about a year and a half. May 1951 through the end of 1952. It was theh cheap seats version of the Model 30.

John Stimson

Gun prices have gone off the charts lately, but I think because of this, some of the well-preserved Sears models are now fetching what they are worth.
Ten years ago, a clean and unmolested Sears Model 29 (.22) would sell for $150, give or take.

Minty specimens are selling for close to $300.00 or more now, if you can find one. These were made by High Standard for Sears. And we all know that High Standard lived up to its name. IMO, the model 29 is a beautiful piece, with a high degree of workmanship in every part, including the stock. Aluminum rod in the feeding tube? Nope. Brass. Plastic trigger guard? Nope. Blued steel.

I will never sell mine. It was made in 1954, and although used, it's as close to NOS as you'll find. Let's hear it for well made American rifles that were cherished in the day, but never all that well received as collectable.

Does anyone else here have a Sears gun which, like Rodney Dangerfield, gets no respect? :)
The receiver and trigger housing were both diecast aluminum.

John Stimson

I have been haunting pawn shops and used racks for years, lately? Not so much, the secret is not a secret any more.

I shall include myself when stating there are many fans of blued steel and walnut guns. While the guns with the name brands command high prices, their department store equivalents did not.

I see little if any differences in "quality" per se. Typically the department store equivalent might have very plain walnut, no or limited checkering, and / or other measures designed around lowering the cost. Lower end scopes were often included and sold as a package.

The word has been out for years now. What may claim the number one spot of the dept. store guns is the JC Higgins models 50 and 51. I have a model 50 in .270, it also came in 30.06 great rifle, built by High Standard.

There are a bunch of examples that are similar. The High Standard auto .22 had a Sears model gun too.

While they may be plain jane, the quality is there.

pesky darn internet.
In the case of the High Standard guns manufactured for Sears, the guns were designed and manufactured exclusively for Sears with the exception of the Sears Model 10 bolt action shotgun which was designed before WWII and was private labeled for at least two other customers.

The Models 50 and 51 were jewels with FN manufactured receivers and hard chromed bores. They were replaced by the Model 51-L which dropped the hard chrome bore, changed the receiver to one from HVA and came in four calibers- .243, .270, .30-06 and .308.

After 1960 High Standard manufactured many of the guns previously manufactured for Sears but the only aluminum receiver .22 branded High Standard was the model 35 pump action.