Uncle Mike's Kydex Holsters - Good Quality?

Jeff Thomas

I've noted recently in Popular Outdoor a new Kydex holster made by Uncle Mike's ... for $16.99!

It has always irritated me that the desirable Kydex holsters go for $50 to $60 each. These new entrants are injection molded, and that process supposedly accounts for the better price.

Now, the current selection is a bit slim, but I'm considering picking up a couple of these. Anyone out there tried them out yet?

I know ... I'm going to get a lot of "you get what you pay for" comments, but please ... only respond if you have direct knowledge of the true quality here. We're talking plastic holsters ... hard to believe the price had to stay up around $50 forever.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards from AZ

Bama2

I have an UM paddle. Very good holster for the price. Is adjustable for tension and ride. Had to remove the belt catch as it was diffulcult to remove the holster from the belt. I do not think mine is kydex, probably plastic. I have lots of holsters, some of them pretty expensive and I like the UM. Fobus is not even close.

taco

I recently got one for my 1911 and it works well. I use it as my range holster and also use it for IDPA type of matches. I got the belt holster instead of the paddle holster because the paddle holster rides too high to draw quickly. If you have long torso I think paddle holster will work well. I got the matching mag pouch and it work okay too.

Skip-2

Like Bama2, I also have an UM paddle for the Beretta and have had the same experiance, however having used Fobus holsters extensivelly I can not knock them either.
I have now bought a UM belt Kydex holster for the my 1911. I simply think they look better than Fobus.

mini14jac

I have the UM Kydex belt holster for a Glock 19.
Recently added the matching mag carrier.

Mine is very well made (as are all UM holsters).
I read somewhere that you should use LockTite on the screws to keep them from getting lost, so I did that.
Mainly use mine for a range holster, but I am very pleased with it, especially for $16 :D

Gino

I have an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle. It isn't a bad holster, but it isn't as good as a $50 holster. It really is true that you get what you pay for - okay, I've said it!

I like the cheap holsters like Fobus and Uncle Mikes cause they allow you to try different holster styles without paying big bucks. After you play around with a cheapy, then you can spend the big bucks for a good one.

IMHO, the biggest problem with the Uncle Mikes is that it sticks out too far from the body. Its hard to carry it concealed without having a substantial bulge. The Fobus caries a good bit closer, but the Uncle Mikes is much better made.

I use my Uncle Mikes to slip on if I walk the dog or just run to the store. Not when I'll be wearing it all day. A good belt and holster are really worth the money.

Hope this helps,
Gino

Kharn

Who carries these holsters? I cant find them on the UM website.

[Edit]
Oops, Damn, I feel dumb, I should have clicked on the Glock in the Kydex holster instead of the "Holster Search" button.

Kharn