Unbelievable Ruger All-Weather

warbirdlover

I've had my Ruger M77 Mk II all-weather stainless (skeleton stock) for 18 years now. In those 18 years it's seen rain and snow and in all those years I NEVER pulled the action from the stock fearing I'd change the point of impact or something stupid like that. In any case I pulled the action tonight expecting tons of rust and gunk.

It looked like it just came off the assembly line. I was shocked. How could this be? I wiped it down with a slightly oily rag and then a dry towel and put it back together.

Good for another 18 years!!!

ndking1126

That's a big thumbs up!

I didn't like Rugers that much, but you guys are slowing making them grow on me! Stop it! There's enough guns I already like but can't afford! :)

warbirdlover

Mine is a .300 Win Mag and I doubt any stock brand new Savages, Rems, or anything else can shoot groups like this thing. I can use any brand ammo, cheap or premium and it will put them all into the same hole (even 150 and 180 gr) in a nice cloverleaf (if I'm doing my part). 1/2" groups every year for over 18 straight years. It might be one of a kind or an anomaly but I was the lucky one to buy it.

I used to handload (had a NICE setup) and could always work up a load that would group better then factory. Not with this rifle. I sold all my handloading equipment.

Attachments

• gun1new.jpg
    gun1new.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Just got back from shooting my Ruger Hawkeye all weather 308 Winchester. Shot a .3" 4 shot group while working up a load for 150gn Sierra matchkings. Guess I found my load. The rifle shoots the 168gn Barnes TTSX into .75". This isn't my most accurate rifle and it isn't my prettiest either, but it is my favorite. Why? just because it seems to be what a bolt action hunting rifle should be.

Keg

My wife has one of the newer realtree 77 Hawkeye's in 308..it has the new trigger......
It is very accurate....it's light and has a soft pad too......

jmr40

I like the Ruger All Weathers. Those old boat paddle stocks are ugly, heavy, kick like a mule, have the worst sling attachment system ever, and are slick as alligator snot when wet. But they just plain work.

The new stocks are much better designed and are just as tough and reliable. I'd not have any issues with using one of the Ruger All Weather rifles.

geetarman

I bought a Ruger M77V 22-250 in 1976 for my brother in law. He shot perhaps 150 rounds through it and gave it back to me last year to give to my son.

I had some new brass loaded with 52 gr. SMKs and 38 gr. H380.

Took the old Redfield Widefield 3-9 off and put my old Weaver T16 on it.

One cold bore shot and this 4 shot group last Friday. Great rifle.

Geetarman:D

Attachments

• IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 192

rantingredneck

I always liked the looks of the "boat paddle" stocks, but never owned one until recently.

Lucked into a trade for the M77MKII .308 pictured below. Then lucked into another trade for the matching 77/22 .22LR. Then found a used old style boat paddle stock for my stainless 10/22.

a04049e0-e350-4937-a6a6-0163334332e2.jpg

Love them all...........

That .308 has become my favorite hunting rig.

warbirdlover

So now tell me. Where in blazes did Ruger ever get a reputation for not grouping well? Everyone I've ever know that had one has similar great results as is shown in this thread.

FrankenMauser

Where in blazes did Ruger ever get a reputation for not grouping well?

From the 3.5 people that "had a bad one", and the 45 million non-owners that spread the word.

One of Ruger's barrel contractors gave them some bad barrels, decades ago. Since then, they have always had the reputation for poor accuracy.

....Even though the general consensus is that they're just as accurate as any comparable Remington, Winchester, or Browning.

Rifles are built within tolerances, not to exact specifications. Some rifles shoot one-hole groups all day. Some rifles don't. It doesn't matter which major brand, or model is stamped on the action.

Scorch

Where in blazes did Ruger ever get a reputation for not grouping well?
Ruger used to cut looooong throats on their rifles. This was Bill Ruger's solution to handloaders seating bullets right up against the rifling, and the risk of blowing up a rifle by them doing so, make the throat so long that you simply cannot seat the bullets against the lands and fit the ammo in the magazine. When I worked in a gunsmith shop full time, we used to "accurize" Ruger M77s by setting the barrels back 1 or 2 turns as needed and recutting the chambers, maybe add a trigger job. Fixed it right up, usually.

Most of Ruger's accuracy issues pretty much ended when Ruger started installing hammer-forged barrels about 1988, right around the time the M77 MkIIs started shipping. I had a Ruger M77 Mk II in 243 that I bought in 1990 (yes, it had the boat paddle stock), and it shot 5/8" at 100 yds with pretty much any load I fed it.

mdd

Nice to see a complimentary thread regarding the ruger M77 MKII w/ skeleton stock. That doesn't happen often. I love the skeleton stocks and I have ten rifles wearing them from a 77/22 up to a 7mm mag.

silvrjeepr

I'm not much of a ruger fan, but I always have liked those boat paddle models. I sure wish I would have bought one when I had the chance.

mdd

They're on gunbroker quite often in various calibers. Long actions are reasonable except 25-06 which takes $700+ to own. Short actions have been crazy with the 22-250 & the 260 leading the charge to the looney bin. I've seen both of those go over $1000.

geetarman

mdd,

There has been one for sale for a long time at a local shop out on Apache Trail.

Ruger M77V 25.06. It actually looks pretty good and the last time I was out there, they had it for sale for $450.

That seems to be a more reasonable price for Arizona. For some reason, the 25.06 does not seem to be real popular here. Almost everytime I go out to the range with it, as soon as I touch off the first round, someone will ask what I am shooting.

I have had mine since 1975 or so and with the heavier 117-120 gr. bullets, it shoots good. I have shot it quite a bit and am on the original barrel.

When it comes time, I will rebarrel the gun. It really is that good.

Geetarman:D

mdd

If it is a MKII stainless & synthetic model with the boat paddle stock, I would very much appreciate the name of that store. I will call & buy it right now. 25-06 is my favorite caliber as it performs wonderfully here in the open, always windy plains of central Kansas.
Thank you!

warbirdlover

Ruger used to cut looooong throats on their rifles. This was Bill Ruger's solution to handloaders seating bullets right up against the rifling, and the risk of blowing up a rifle by them doing so, make the throat so long that you simply cannot seat the bullets against the lands and fit the ammo in the magazine. When I worked in a gunsmith shop full time, we used to "accurize" Ruger M77s by setting the barrels back 1 or 2 turns as needed and recutting the chambers, maybe add a trigger job. Fixed it right up, usually.

Most of Ruger's accuracy issues pretty much ended when Ruger started installing hammer-forged barrels about 1988, right around the time the M77 MkIIs started shipping. I had a Ruger M77 Mk II in 243 that I bought in 1990 (yes, it had the boat paddle stock), and it shot 5/8" at 100 yds with pretty much any load I fed it.

Scorch

Interesting on the long throat. Weatherby has a long throat and most seem to shoot good. Apparently the fix you talked about also fixed some other issue?

mdd

No worries. I have a MKII v/t model and a skeleton stock stainless model both in 25-06. A good friend of mine wants a 25-06 skeleton stock like mine & I told him I'd help him find one.