UN Report on crime prevention

Covert Mission

This UN report discusses crime prevention. Worth a look...

OF COURSE, you'll note that they DO NOT mention personal protection thru owned/carried firearms. God forbid! The report can be downloaded in PDF format... just click on the "E" for Eeeenglish.

LINK: http://www.ifs.univie.ac.at/~uncjin/8comm/index.htm

FILE NAME: E/CN.15/1999/3......Strategies for crime prevention

UN COMMISSION ON CRIME PREVENTION AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Eighth session
Vienna, 27 April - 6 May 1999

STRATEGIES FOR CRIME PREVENTION:
DISCUSSION PAPER ON THE THEME OF THE EIGHTH SESSION OF THE COMMISSION ON CRIME PREVENTION AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Report of the Secretary-General

SUMMARY:
The Economic and Social Council decided that each session of the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice should have one prominent theme and that the theme of the eighth session of the Commission should be crime prevention. In order to facilitate the deliberations, the Secretariat prepared a general discussion paper on crime prevention. The report provides an overview of recent concepts and successes of crime prevention. It describes the new challenges for the
international community in preventing transnational and organized crime, and
corruption. The report addresses the links between socio-economic development and crime and discusses strategies to manage crime prevention at the national level. The report further reflects the views of Member States on standards regarding responsible crime prevention. Annexed to this report is a research note on illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in explosives by criminals and on the abuse and misuse of explosives for criminal purposes.

RELEVANT EXCERPTS:
12. In many of the developed countries over all crime victimization rates and recorded crime rates have ceased to go up . In some countries, notably the United States of America, the rates do show an unmistakable downward trend. These positive trends are often attributed to improved law enforcement (zero tolerance policing) and/ or more severe sentencing. There might be sound reasons for this attribution. However, crime trends have started to decline in almost all developed
countries irrespective of the criminal policies pursued. In Finland, for example, the Government succeeded in reducing the use of imprisonment through the imposition of less severe sentences by the courts. Finland is no exception to the rule of declining crime trends. This particular change in the crime trend seems unrelated to intensified police patrolling or more severe sentencing. Other factors seem to have determined this development.

13. According to the International Crime Victim Surveys ( Mayhew, Van Dijk, 1997), the level of self-protection/security has gone up universally in developed nations. An alternative interpretation of the declining crime trends in developed countries is that the general increase in the level of self-protection/security has altered the costs/benefit ratios for many types of property
crimes to the extent that some forms of crime have become less attractive for potential offenders.
Examples of crimes which might have been affected by altered cost/benefit ratios are robberies on banks, household and commercial burglaries and vehicle-related crimes. The case can be made that the stabilization of conventional crime in the developed world is to some extent the result of crime prevention initiatives of the private and public sector in response to increased losses from victimisation by crime.

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited August 12, 1999).]

Jedi Oomodo

Well, shut my mouth and call me Francis!!!!!!

A UN report that actually admitted that self-protection WORKS!? I can't believe this! I just about had to pick myself back up off my cubicle floor when I read it. This gives me at least some hope for the future.

I realize that the report didn't say anything about armed self-protection, but at least they were able to come to the conclusion that relying on civil authorities to protect us from crime doesn't work.

------------------
--------------
"Is fhe'arr teicheadh math na droch fhuireach"
-Sarabian Oomodo

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Oomodo (edited August 13, 1999).]