Hardcoat Anodizing: MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
Milspec diameter Receiver Extension
Enhanced M4 Stock with QD sockets at the rear of the stock
PSA Overmolded Grip in Black
Staked M4 Lock Nut
Standard Carbine Buffer
Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use
Caliber: Multi

Is the un-notched hammer compatable with a 5.56 upper as well?
If not I'm ok with it as PSA had them for $144 over labor day weekend.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Not sure what "unnotched hammer" means in this context. If you mean a hammer without a sear notch at the top, that notch is for engaging the auto sear and normally won't be on a "civilian" AR. The "normal" semi-auto sear notch is at the bottom of the hammer.

Jim

marine6680

Some AR hammers have a step/notch at the upper corner of the face of the hammer.

But I have not seen one on a civilian AR... Ever... Just the DPMS smooth type.

Last edited:

Mobuck

I've seen some hammers "notched at the top" and they worked fine with semi-auto parts. They had nothing to do with a 9mm set-up.

9x19

The SP1 style hammers had the notch at the top to work with the bolt carrier of the time... it would provide a collar lock in a runaway gun.

Those BCs had the exposed firing pins and short rear ring, to keep ATF happy... back then they had the silly notion that just having an M16 BCG made a semi a de facto MG.

Not sure what that notch would do for you with a standard BCG, but my 9mm has a ramped bolt and smooth hammer.

handlebar

One type of notched hammer was for the unramped 9mm AR bolt. I know because my 9mm Colt AR has one. The un-notched hammer is for the AR platform with a ramped bolt. You are good to go with your un-notched hammer. If I want to use an un-notched hammer on my 9mm AR, I would need to have my bolt ramped.

Another type of notched hammer has a "notch" at the top of the hammer and is not used for 9mm. Your hammer is rounded at the top and as said, gtg. Hope that makes sense. Do a google search and see all of the different pics of hammers.

Last edited: