Ultrasonic handgun cleaner

Noreaster

We have one at my work but I've never really warmed up to it. Never felt the need to use it. Others swear by it. Anyone here use one and what are the pros/cons.

wogpotter

Had one at work, not for firearms though.
Loved it as it could get into places nothing else could.
Needs care evaluating any detergents/cleaners used & the dilution of them. Absolutely needs to have neutralizing bath.

shortwave

Friend of mine has one in his gunshop.

When he first set it up, he called me to see if I had anything I needed cleaned.

Well as a matter of fact, I did. :D
A very neglected bp rifle that had been setting for many years in which I expected to never come clean without a long soak in some ATF.

He had to run it through the machine twice but I was quite impressed with the results.

Peter M. Eick

I have an expensive one. It costs as much factory refurbed as a decent 1911 to put it in perspective. It takes nearly 1.5 gallons of Mpro7 to get it going.

I love it. I would replace it if it died with a bigger one.

It cleans guns surgically clean. Like they have not been cleaned ever before, in places that you normally can't clean or don't get done. You put the gun in (grips off and I wipe off as much as I can) and then let the heated mpro7 do its stuff. Mine is loud so I wear earphones when working by it.

The gunk off a "cleaned" gun comes boiling off in the mpro7. It takes 15 minutes to get the gun really really clean. I then switch to ultrasonic oil and do another 15 minutes in oil to get the mpro7 out of the gun. Once it is done with both, I lightly lube it and put it back together.

Again, surgically clean, clean in ways you cannot describe adequately.

Highly, highly recommended!

shortwave

Again, surgically clean,clean in ways you cannot describe adequately

That's true PME.

Among various guns I ended up taking my friend, one was a Ruger MKII that had about 25yrs worth of rds(many,many thous.) down the tube and had never been apart for a thorough cleaning. The bbl had been cleaned but the action had never. Needless to say, the action was amazingly cruddy.

Removed the plastic grips, tore gun the rest of the way down and when it was done, the cleanliness was impressive.

He ended getting a few contracts with a couple ranges keeping their range guns clean.

Is that Mpro7 similar to soluble oil ?

Last edited:

wogpotter

Depends on the cleaning agent & water temperature.
A lot of the parts we cleaned were either PVC or HDPE & we had no problems.

Sgt.Fathead

Though they didn't have such in my Marine days, that I was aware of, a good friend still in tells me that most stateside and semi-permanent deployed armories use ultrasonics quite extensively to maintain crew served weapons. I would love to have one!

Years ago I used a smaller, jewelry and parts oriented model to clean the guts of my much fired Ruger DA revolvers. I'd then blow them out thoroughly with a needle valve on a compressor, ever mindful of small parts!, and they were ridiculously clean.

Peter M. Eick

No damage on Poly (glocks) so far. I have tossed a lot of things in my ultrasonic with no issues.

You have to watch that the night sites and painted surfaces are well bonded I hear or the paint can get pealed back by mpro7. It says that right on the bottle though, so don't conclude that it is an ultrasonic specific problem.

My advice is get one, just don't go cheap because you will end up buying another to replace it if it breaks. They are very addictive.

shortwave

No damage poly (Glocks) so far.

I've often wondered about the polymer guns. Wandered if repeated cleanings totaling submerging and heating the plastics would eventually take out the embedded oils making them brittle.

wogpotter

Don't use ultrasonics on aluminum gun parts. It can damage them.
I'm curious why you post this.
We used a big commercial heated unit & never had a problem with any aluminum, or aluminum alloy parts. Can you explain or elaborate for me please?

bumnote

Any damage caused will be the result of the type of cleaner used. I have a smaller type I picked up for under $200, you can't clean a rifle in it but most of my pistols and revolvers will fit in it except for those with a 6" or longer barrel.
I use them to clean brass more than I do for my guns, simple soap and water and 10 minutes in the tumbler (when dry) and the come out looking new.
With revolvers, you'd want to be careful because it's going to remove all lubrication, so until you dry it and reoil it, don't dry fire it.

wogpotter

Any damage caused will be the result of the type of cleaner used.
That was my thought as well, but the post referred to just the unit being responsible & I was trying to find out what caused that thought to develop as opposed to an incompatible cleaner being used.

wogpotter

Based on the experience we had with them we cleaned stainless steel, Polypropylene, nylon, HDPE, brass aluminum & some of it's alloys repeatedly (once a month) in a commercial setting for several years & never had a problem. That was why I was asking what experience your posted comments about damaging aluminum was based on.

The cleaners used & the dilution of them has a huge effect on how the units work & how the materials being cleaned respond.