Ultrasconic cleaners

Grizz12

Does anyone have experience with ultrasconic cleaners? I was interested in getting one to clean brass for reloading and really dirty gun parts

Anyone?

disseminator

I have one.

I find it really great for cleaning dies and gun parts, but less enthusiastic on cleaning brass in it.

It works, but I prefer the tumbler. Or even better SS pins.....

turtlehead

Fantastic for cleaning BCGs. Takes all the mess out of it.

I tumble my brass in the FART. Wouldn't do it any other way.

axismatt

Hornady has an ultrasonic system called the Hot Tub. It's big enough to put an entire upper/barrel assembly in, with room for baskets of small parts. It gets great reviews, but it's a bit pricey. Still, worth looking into.

I'm a ss pin tumbler for brass. Ultrasonic will clean the filth off the brass, but tumbling really scours it, even removing scratches and stains that a sonic cleaner can't touch.

TruthTellers

I have the 2 liter Hornady sonic cleaner. I don't use the solution that Hornady makes because I don't care for the price and I think homemade concoctions can work better and for less.

I currently use dawn dish soap and Lemishine. This appears to be a good solution.

I also use the heat function.

What I have found with the 2 liter Hornady cleaner is that the brass has to be as close to the center of the unit to be effectively cleaned. Also, you can't just pour brass into the cleaner and expect it to be clean in 5 mins. I stand the cases up in the plastic bin and lower it into the cleaner and that seems to be most effective.

.45 Colt cases are nice and easy to do this without them falling everywhere, .32 S&W Long/H&R Mag is a total PITA. Can be done if you're patient.

Gun parts come out very nice, other metal stuff gets cleaned well too.

I wouldn't spend the money on the large ultrasonic cleaners, I just don't trust them to do the job on brass. If you want to clean AR uppers, just do it by hand. If you want to clean a lot of brass, I believe the rotary tumblers with stainless pins is the best way to do it. I don't shoot or reload enough to justify getting a rotary tumbler, but it's on my list of equipment to get when I start shooting more.

I believe the smaller ultrasonics are great to have for small batches of brass and general cleaning, but they have issues making the brass look brand new. I'm sure the brass does get to the "clean enough" for reloading after a good 10 minute cycle, but I like knowing the brass is clean by looking almost new. The machine can do it if you give it 30 minutes, rearrange the brass and take out the clean cases, keep the water hot, and not overload the container.

That may sound like too much work for some and I understand.

If you want to know more, let me know and I'll let you know what I know so far.

cobra81

For cleaning bolt carrier groups, and other parts where you can't reach the crud, yes.
For cleaning brass, in my experience the ultrasonic cleaners are not the best choice.
I've tried dry vibratory tumbling, ultrasonic cleaning, and finally, wet tumbling for my brass cases.

Hands down, wet tumbling with stainless pins, Dawn dish soap, and Lemishine produces the cleanest,
shiniest brass, inside and out, including primer pockets.

axismatt

^^^^

My feeling exactly. And even though you can thoroughly clean anything by hand, it's nice to be able to dunk the whole thing so that every tiny crevice gets attention, and with less effort. Cleaning my guns after shooting was fun 25 years ago, but it's become a chore these days, sorry to say. It's nice to just blow a wet gun out with air and add oil.

As for the smaller brass wanting to tip over... what if you nailed a bunch of finishing nails into a board and slipped the brass over the top before dunking the whole batch? I also have some of those plastic cartridge trays that are just a series of plastic nubs... I'm pretty sure they are slim enough to slide the brass over them. Maybe give it a try.

TruthTellers

Actually, now that you mention it, next time I clean some .32 brass, I'm just gonna use the plastic tray that comes with factory ammo and see how that works. The cases certainly won't fall over!

mkl

Some plastics can adsorb the ultrasonic waves allowing less of the wave force to impact on the object to be cleaned. I have found that laboratory thin glass beakers work quite well if you need to contain the objects to be cleaned. Just fill the ultrasonic with water and then the beaker with the cleaning solution and dump your objects in the beaker. The water level should be about 1/4 inch above the solution in the beaker. This method is good for smaller objects like jewelry and similar items. I have a small collection of old single and double blade shaving razors and find that nothing will clean one of those up like an ultrasonic.

The consumer grade ultrasonics will not remove scale, rust, or hard primer pocket deposits. I wet tumble with SS pins for that. Think "gentle" but very thorough deep cleaning when you think of ultrasonic cleaners.

For the best results, your cleaning solution should slightly "hiss" when working. If you don't hear a slight hissing sound when the ultrasonic is running, you are not getting the optimal cleaning effect. Generally speaking, if the cleaning solution will form suds, it is not the best for use in an ultrasonic. Amazon offers quite a few solutions made specifically for ultrasonic cleaners and I have used one of them with excellent results.

TruthTellers

I know this thread is old, but I posted that next time I clean .32 brass I was going to use a plastic tray that comes with factory ammo.

I used it today, and am using it now, and I'm seeing an increase in cleaning capability like the tray is absorbing the frequency of the vibrations and amplifying them on the brass. I used the tray loaded with .32 and .45 ACP brass and the .45 brass is coming out cleaner than I've ever seen come out the ultrasonic before. The .32's are also good, but the rate of clean brass to not as clean is not as good and I guess that ultrasonics work better with larger cases than smaller.

Still, point being that the .32 cases are coming out cleaner and shinier off the plastic ammo tray than just putting them in the basket.

cw308

cobra81
I also clean in a wet tumbler , SS Pins , dawn & lemishine. I asked my wife why she didn't use dawn she said Sun detergent cleaned better. I thought drawn cleaned the brass , Sun makes the brass much cleaner & the brass is brighter an stays that way. Give it a try.

Reloadnewbie

Has anyone used a Harbor Freight rock tumbler for their brass? If so, did you use the Lyman sonic cleaner in it? I just bought some cleaner at Cabelas but decided against the sonic cleaner itself due to the high cost.

cw308

Reloadnewbie
Harbor Freight rock tumbler I use for 50 & below cases , they work just as good as the larger tumblers , only use 1 lb. of Stainless Steel Pins instead of 5 , I wouldn't think different types of detergents wouldn't harm the drum. You made a good choice , I have the single drum HF unit & a larger tumbler B tumbler after I saw how well wet tumblers work. I use the HF 90% of the time. You should get the pins if you don't have them , cleaning with just soap will work but not as good. The pins will last forever , can find them on line if you don't already have them .

Last edited: