UltraMax Remanufactured Ammo

Blue Grass

I was recently given a case and a half (15 50rnd boxes) of this ammo in .38Spl 125gr jhp. Shot a box last week in my S&W Model-19. Accuracy was ok and had no FTFire's. However, it was very dirty,like old Unique. Any body had any experience with this ammo? Brass is mixed head stamps. Has anybody tried to reload this brass? I have no idea how many times it has been fired.

Mods: If this is posted in the wrong place, please move. Thanks.

Brian48

I've used it in various calibers in the past. No major problems. Not exactly match quality obviously, but it's decent for punching paper on the cheap.

wnycollector

I picked up 2 ~250 round boxes of 180gr .40 two years ago dirty cheap. It shot ok in my CZ-40B but not my Keltec Sub2K (key holing). The stuff is dirty beyond words (worse than wolf!).

FrankenMauser

I've used it, in every handgun cartridge I own. It's decent stuff, but what most people buy is remanufactured (if you care). If you take a close look at the brass, you can tell it's mostly once-fired. However... they buy in bulk. You never know if you're getting a reloader's "shoot it and leave it" cases, or stuff that just came out of a factory box of WWB.

I can't say that I've had bad experiences reloading it, but it's a bunch of various-times-fired mixed head stamps. There will be a few cases that aren't in spectacular condition.

They do have a line of ammunition that is new-manufacture. I have not had any problems with it, at all.

chris in va

I bought one box about 7 years ago, before I knew all this nonsense about lead bullet fit, lube smoke etc.

All I knew was the stuff was horribly inaccurate, smoked like a dragon and gunked up my CZ. Now I know the gun doesn't like anything less than .358 and bullet lube burning off will create a smoke screen to rival grenades thrown by riot police.:D

10-96

About 12-15 years ago- I developed the real-bad-hates for Ultramax- it wouldn't feed worth a darn through my 1911's match barrel. And, I believe it was dirtier then than it is now. I haven't tried much more than a box or two of the handgun ammo lately- but it did all seem to feed and digest in a suitable manner for plinking ammo. I have an AR and one CZ rifle that appear to love the .223 ammo. It feeds and goes bang in just about everything- but only the AR and particular CZ seem to find any degree of accuracy with it.

MrAcheson

Its so smokey, I swear they use black powder....
Ditto. Cycles my guns fine, but it's so dirty that the crud buildup started to throw my brother's 1917 out of time.

The only reason I'd buy it again is if I had a .45acp cylinder for an SAA. Then I could pretend it was black powder.

MosinM38

I'm amazed:

I use their .223 ammo a LOT, it's extremely accurate from my rifles, and seems relatively clean.

I bought a couple boxes of .357 Sig and a box of .45....I'm not touching their handgun ammo. Dirty, smokey, and not as "super-cheap" to competition as well as their .223 ammo.

Nakanokalronin

I use it only for revolvers but have never had a problem with it. A little smokey yes but its cheap, effective, pretty accurate and consistent which is way more than I can say for a lot of today's re-manufactured ammo. The dirty part don't bother me since I clean my guns after every range trip anyhow.

MEATSAW

I shot one box through my S&W Model 60 using their .38 Special. I will never buy it again for any caliber: it was ridiculously smoky and dirty. Every shot produced a huge cloud of noxious fumes and smoke. Saving a buck over UMC (or similar) is not worth it to me.