Ultramatic range report

bac1023

I figured to share a brief range report on a couple handguns that have relatively little information available pertaining to them on the web.

I went to the range today with a few pistols, including two Ultramatics (both and SV and LV). Every time I shoot these guns, I like them more and more. While I’m fortunate enough to own nearly all the high end centerfire target pistols, the Ultramatic is quickly moving up the ladder in my favorite range gun ranking list. :cool:

Both guns performed flawlessly in the 150 rounds I put through them. They have few moving parts and very little recoil. I find accuracy to be outstanding and they tend to make me look like a better shot than I actually am.

I took a picture of one of my targets shot at about 25 feet off hand with cheap aluminum cased ammo. The two on the left are 10 shot groups from the LV and the center and the upper left are 10 shot groups from the SV. The bottom left was another pistol. I'm no marksman, but the pistols help make up for some of the operator error. ;)

Ultramatics were built in Austria back in the 1990's and carried a hefty $2000 price tag, which was a heck of a lot back then. They are a rare find today, but generally sell for very reasonable prices. Both of mine are in my caliber of choice (9mm), but were chambered in several calibers during their short production life. They are heavy, all steel pistols. The SV weighs about 47oz and the LV is well over 50oz, both with empty magazines. They are so easy to shoot fast and accurately with almost no muzzle flip and no slide to move (just a bolt).

For anyone that shares my interest in exotic and obscure target pistols, I highly recommend one of these. The lone drawback for me was the take down and reassembly, which were quite difficult to master (especially the reassembly). However, I now do it in seconds.

I usually bring at least one of them to every range trip. Today, I decided to bring them both. My SV has run perfectly from the start. My LV gave me a malfunction here and there when I first picked it up early this year. However, its now running as good as the other one, so I’m quite pleased about that. Like I said, they are becoming two of my favorite shooters of all time.

Thanks for reading.

Here's the SV on the left with the longer barreled LV on the right. :)

Brutus

Very interesting, never heard of them before. Who manufactured them?
I take it the SV is single action and the LV is double. Beautiful looking guns.

bac1023

Thanks

The company label was called Wolf towards the end of production

Actually, they're all single action only. The LV just has a bit move over travel.

SpareMag

Bac,

Amazing commentary, as always, on an intriguing series of weapons.

So please forgive the newbie question:

If just the BOLT moves, does that give sufficient mass/momentum for reliable feeding? You said you had no issues, but I thought gun doctrine held that the purpose of the slide was two-fold: absorb recoil force and provide mass and momentum for reliable feeding.

In function then, the pistols work like large Ruger MkIIs??

Any idea why the "bolt-only" approach has not been used in other pistols??

Thx!

bac1023

Bac,

Amazing commentary, as always, on an intriguing series of weapons.

So please forgive the newbie question:

If just the BOLT moves, does that give sufficient mass/momentum for reliable feeding? You said you had no issues, but I thought gun doctrine held that the purpose of the slide was two-fold: absorb recoil force and provide mass and momentum for reliable feeding.

In function then, the pistols work like large Ruger MkIIs??

Any idea why the "bolt-only" approach has not been used in other pistols??

Thx!
Thanks

Its a heavy bolt and probably heavier than some slides. Its a totally different design than the Ruger is, but I guess they are somewhat similar in that aspect.

Reliability is known to be suspect on these pistols. However, I truly believe a lot of that is due to improper cleaning.

bac1023

Very cool Brian, it's great hearing about such rare and accurate pistols.

Thanks Jeff. I really love the Ultramatics. :cool:

I posted this report on a bunch of forums to try to get some knowledge of the pistol out to the public.

Last edited:

GyMac

bac1023: I've only heard of this gun in a video on youtube. Are you the one who makes those really cool videos? If so, I love them!

lifesizepotato

GyMac said:
bac1023: I've only heard of this gun in a video on youtube. Are you the one who makes those really cool videos? If so, I love them!

I'd never describe my videos as "really cool," but you might be referring to mine since I don't think there are any others on the Ultramatic.

Here are a couple photos:

g5YHUSUl.jpg

VCSu2wPl.jpg

Mine is in 40S&W and hasn't been nearly as reliable as bac's in 9mm. I need to put a few hundred more rounds through it to see if it's just a matter of breaking it in better.

I'm going to redo my review video on the gun because I have a better camera/technique now and also I got a really thorough book about the gun and its designer. (I just haven't exactly gotten around to reading that book yet. :eek:)

Last edited:

bac1023

No videos here. I'm the photo guy.

The photos aren't all that cool, but the gun most certainly is. ;)

GyMac

bac1023: I think your photos are great and thanks for posting on an interesting gun.

lifesizepotato: It was your video I viewed and I think you do a great job.

Bongo Boy

Thanks for taking the time to post this! Cool gun, cool design, cool look, cool name. How do they lock, or don't they?