Ultracompact derringer with superimposed loads

Derringeer

Hello! I’ve been sketching on a small over/under derringer with the capacity of four shots. I’ve seen the superimposed concept on the forgotten weapons channel, and I thought it’s pretty neat. But I’m curious of what could go wrong.

Here’s a picture of a barrel and the loads https://imgur.com/FgzHsmQ
The second charge has a ”case” to support the bullet, to prevent compression of the second powder charge. I don’t know if that’s necessary? The old superposed weapons didn’t had it.

I will also be using a light (about 100 grains) load of buckshots for the front charge which should keep the pressure down. And for the second load I will use a slightly overdimensioned pure lead roundball instead of a patched one. For extra sealing I’ll use some Blu Tack behind and thick paper infront, but maybe something else will work better?

jaguarxk120

You have a barrel, but what about the fire control group?
Battery, switch/switch's, a frame to hold everything together.
How compact will it be compaired to conventional hardware?

Derringeer

I have a push button switch as a trigger mounted on the gun, a on/off switch as safety and multiple normally open pushbutton PCB switches for each barrel and a SPDT-switch to choose between first and second charge.

I’ve made two guns already with electronic ignition like this, but with seven barrels with only one charge in each instead of two superimposed charges, the guns look like this https://imgur.com/A3TX1HC That’s basically modern pepperboxes, the problem with those is the size and even more so the weight. The .44 (the big one) is very heavy. But an over/under derringer will be very compact and leightweight, a four-barelled version would also be pretty compact and allow 8 shots if superimposed. Compared to conventional hardware a derringer like this will be as compact as a ordinary derringer, but by superimposing the loads it could have higher capacity.

However, I mounted all the electronics on the guns (these doesn’t have a SPDT-switch to choose between charges and no on/off safety either) but my thought now is to use a separate ”board” with electronics seperated from the gun, with only the push button switch mounted on the gun itself.

The electronics chematics is actually pretty simple.

Last edited:

Pahoo

I'll pass but wish you well !!!

You should take this to idea to muzzleloader forum lots of folks with muzzleloading experience there...

Good luck with that one. I'll pass but wishing you, the best …… ;)

Be Safe !!!

44 Dave

Careful "big brother" might think you are building a pipe bomb, might be if the rear charge is set off first by mistake.

Hawg

Quote:
You should take this to idea to muzzleloader forum lots of folks with muzzleloading experience there...

Good luck with that one. I'll pass but wishing you, the best ……

I agree and superposed loads are also a bad idea.