Ultra light Springfield 9mm

cnemeth

The other day I saw a used s/s Springfiled 1911 in 9mm. The gun was very light, so I assume it was an alloy ultra light model. I was running late, so I did not have the time to get more info about it.

Does anyone have any info on this gun?

Thanks
Chris Nemeth

Jim Watson

I recently bought a Springfield Ultra-Compact Lightweight 9mm. It has an integral ramp barrel. In stock condition it would feed FMJs but not JHPs.

I had to have some gunsmith work done to make it into an integral FEED ramp. The factory leaves it too steep and rough. Steep so they can advertise "Fully supported case head." and rough because they are cheap. My FLG ground the ramp to about the angle of a real 1911's and polished it smooth. The little gun now works just fine with the Remington JHPs I handload for practice and the Federal JHPs I carry for business.

The magazines looked ok, same tube and lip as my full-size 9mm Metalform mags that feed well in my Colt and Caspian; and have worked just as well since the ramp was recut.

Erich

As much as I like the idea of a 9x19 1911, it just seems so much cheaper and easier to buy a used small S&W . . . not that I wouldn't like one of those thin little STI LS9s!