Ultra light revolvers

Sid

I have always carried an automatic for personal protections. But advanced age has now made it difficult for me to work the slides on these guns, so I am thinking of switching to a very light revolver. Guns such as the Ruger LCR, the S&W Titaniums, and others of this genre. I would appreciate advice and recommendations from guys who have made this choice. TIA

BigJimP

I understand getting older...and a little arthritis in my hands and wrists, etc...and shoulder surgery ...and on and on...

I like revolvers...and I have a lot of them ...and on the Airweight / Ultralight's etc...it comes down to what fits your hands the best. To me...those J frames or J Magnum frames ...are just too small for me to manipulate - and they aren't pleasant to shoot even in .38 spl.

On the other hand ...S&W model 36's ( still J frames ) weigh a little more ...and they're a little easier to shoot / even though they don't fit my hands either. So for me ...about the smallest I want to go is a K frame ..like a model 10 or Victory model in .38 spl / or a mod 19 or 66 in .357 mag that I can still shoot .38 spls in if I want to. A mod 66 2 1/2" K frame with a round butt is a pretty small gun ...but way easier for me to manipulate with my bad hands.

Because I have bad hands...and big hands...the easiest revolver for me to shoot is an N frame mod 27 in a 4" ...especially in .38 spl ...its a very nice shooting gun / a little bigger to carry ...maybe not practical.../ but partly because its heavier - and bigger ...it puts way less stress on my fingers - on my worst days.

and I know this is a revolver forum / but I'd still suggest you at least look at a semi-auto like the Sig 239 ( single stack, in a 9mm ) its another gun that's easy to manipulate ...decocker ...so you carry it loaded and decocked and in a DA/SA trigger its a nice gun as well. Or a 1911 ..like in a 4" alloy frame maybe ..in a 9 mm is an easy gun to manipulate...

so I think you have a lot of options ...depending on what fits your hands ...get to a range and shoot as many of these as you can ..so you can really judge for yourself.
---------
a buddy just went thru this with a S&W airweight.. 642 ( he bought it new - 2 wks ago) ...and he's only put 25 rds thru it ..and he hates it even with 158 gr .38 spl thru it ...let alone any +P that he thought he'd carry it with. Now he's looking for a model 66 in a 2 1/2" barrel..

Microgunner

I'm now seriously lusting after a S&W 340PD 11.4 oz .357MAG.

I've been carrying a S&W Bodyguard 38 for some time and have zero complaints. Just want a stupidly lightweight .357 because I can.

Sergeant

Myself and wife tried several of these and the two ones that were the easiest to shoot we're the Ruger LCR and S&W 642.

LRC crimson laser grips were uncomfortable to both of us but the factory standard grips were very comfortable to shoot.

The 642 was more comfortable to shoot with after market mono grip.

My wife could not pull the trigger on her non dominant hand on any revolver we tested until we shot the above two. They both have a smooth light trigger compared to all the others we checked out. The LCR being slightly lighter trigger pull over the 642.

She ended up getting the 642 because we could not find a LCR without the Laser grip.

I think you could not go wrong with either. But the front sight on the LCR is hi visibility, if eye sight is a concern.

buck460XVR

My EDC is a S&W 637 Airweight. It conceals well, is very lightweight, reliable and very accurate. With standard .38 ammo it is a *****cat, and easy enough on the hands to shoot a 50 round box of ammo thru it on range trips.

JerryM

As in all things there has to be the right balance as to weight, ease of shooting, and power.

I have found that the J Frame Smiths suit me best. If one wants a .357 then I believe he must not go with a light weight gun or the recoil will greatly limit the amount of practice and shooting enjoyment. I have a M60 3 inch, and a 640 2 1/8 inch .357s. However, for my personal carry when I carry a revolver I choose the M 642 .38 Spl. anything lighter is unpleasant to shoot.
I do not feel under gunned with the 642.

If I ever have to use it in SD and the .38 Spl is not adequate then so be it. I am not going to punish myself to prepare for something that has a miniscule probability of happening. Yet, I do feel competent and that my firearm will get the job done.
To each his own.

Jerry

tekarra

I tend towards the J frame S&Ws and would like to try a 442 or 642, especially as I have seen some good prices lately. I don't think I would shoot a lightweight too much as my 640 gets tiring after 50 rounds and my 940 sooner.

willmc33

I carried a Smith & Wesson 642 for years and changed over to the Smith & Wesson 638 because the trigger on the 638 felt lighter and smoother to me. Any of the Smith J frames are relatively light anyway. My 638 is an airweight and even though it weighs more then air ( as pointed out by Hickok45) it is about as light as I would want it and I dont see the benefit to paying $900.00 for a 340PD just to save 3 ounces. I can highly reccomend either the Smith & Wesson 642/442 or 638.

badge851

Sid said:
Ultra light revolvers
I have always carried an automatic for personal protections. But advanced age has now made it difficult for me to work the slides on these guns, so I am thinking of switching to a very light revolver. Guns such as the Ruger LCR, the S&W Titaniums, and others of this genre. I would appreciate advice and recommendations from guys who have made this choice. TIA
I have carried the following Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL for the last six years and have put over 6,000 rounds through it. The gun weighs 16oz and is loaded with Buffalo Bore® Standard Pressure 158gr LSWCHCGC. It has the power and velocity of a +P load w/o the harsh recoil or muzzle blast. The gun is light, accurate, and reliable and I highly recommend it.
100_2239.jpg

100_2237.jpg

100_1539.jpg

willmc33

Badge 851 I thought I was the only one to do my snubbie sites this way. That is awesome, same contrasting colors and everything. I use fluorescent nail polish from wal greens of my wifes. She got a newer orange that they came out with thought that is alot brighter.

Last edited:

9mm

My EDC is a S&W 637 Airweight. It conceals well, is very lightweight, reliable and very accurate. With standard .38 ammo it is a *****cat, and easy enough on the hands to shoot a 50 round box of ammo thru it on range trips.

#1 50 rounds stings your hands, 100 rounds is pain.
#2 Accurate? I really suck with mine.. I gotta put more rounds to learn to get better groups.
#3 My Grandfather has one, I shot it good, maybe it's my sights are off?

Buzzcook

The Model 60 is the lightest J frame I feel comfortable with. Even then it makes my arthritis act up.

Shooting K frames is still comfortable with standard .38 special rounds.

losixxx

I myself jus purchased the ruger lcr about a week ago. In saying that I looked at various .38 spl the s&w airweight, the tarus ultra light, rossi, even a charter arms that realy I had orig gone to purchase. After holding the LCR I couldnt set it down, when I did it didnt matter went straight back to it the grip on it is jus right I found the S&W a lil uncomfortable. So no problem in shooting even with the +p round. Im not an expert by no means I realy jus felt that the ruger Lcr was the better choice especialy after comparing to the others.

LockedBreech

The Ruger LCR is light, comfy, and in my opinion has the best trigger of any ultra light revolver. Smooth, decently light, doesn't stack. For me, that translated to a bullseye and a tight 5-shot group at 15 yards the first time I shot the gun.

JerryM

[Sorry for your troubles my friend. It's not really the "golden years" is it?]

"Golden years" has to do with the fact that it takes a lot of gold to keep you going.;) The medical personnel get the gold, of course.
Jerry

hogdoc357

My 2 cents worth of experience. I have owned others, but the sweetest trigger press I have experienced in a snub nose revolver is from the Ruger LCR.

BryanP

Do yourself a favor and fire a couple before buying one. I used to carry a S&W 638, but the recoil beat my arthritic hands up pretty bad. I replaced it with a 649 (same gun, chambered for .357 instead of .38, made of stainless steel) and found the extra weight to be worth the reduction in punishment.

joegator

I have the 642 and recommend it. It is very light and carries well in the pocket. I load mine with DPX. The LCR is another good choice but it is a little bit bulkier than the Smith. I would say as a general rule the Ruger shoots better while the Smith carries better.

savit260

I'm now seriously lusting after a S&W 340PD 11.4 oz .357MAG.

Have you tried shooting one of these with full house .357's?

A guy at my local range has one, and a few of us that are pretty well versed in snubbies, and .357's gave it a whirl with various full house personal protection loads.

We all came to the exact same conclusion.

It's VERY unpleasant to shoot. Violent describes it well. It's a great gun to carry +P's in if you MUST save that last couple of ounces.

IMO, the 442/642 is a much better deal for a practical carry gun. One of these days I'd like to try an LCR though.