Ultimate UTILITY 44 MAGNUM LOAD: VELOCITY TESTING

Mr.RevolverGuy

attachment.php

Using a number of reloading manuals and Quickload software I set a path to load the Ultimate Utility 44 Magnum Handload. In 2013 I wrote an article claiming 44 Magnum As The Most Versatile Handgun Caliber, I took a little heat over this one but it was worth it.

My fascination with 44magnum has me continuing that work today. I wanted a little more speed from the venomous 44magnum out of the shorter packable friendly revolvers I have access to. This load is to meet a variety of task, plinking, self-defense and hunting with the right firearm as I would never hunt with a 2inch 44 Magnum.

I believe I will be sticking with this load for a very long time. I was pleased with the velocities and the controllability I had with it in the shorter barrel revolvers.

Federal Large Pistol Magnum Match Primer — Got a brick of these for $30 so I used them, they can be expensive. So a change to Large Pistol Magnum Primers will save you a few bucks but may cause different results. Anytime you change any component you should start over working up your loads again.

https://youtu.be/rLksJ4X6kX0

44 Magnum All Around Utility Load:

44Magnum Case

240gr Jacketed Soft Point

Hodgdon Universal 9.7gr

C.O.A.L 1.610 – Medium Crimp

Federal Large Pistol Magnum Match Primer — Got a brick of these for $30 so I used them, they can be expensive. So a change to Large Pistol Magnum Primers will save you a few bucks but may cause different results. Anytime you change any component you should start over working up your loads again.

On this page you will undoubtedly find reloading information. This data is not intended to replace the appropriate reloading manuals data and should not be used without verifying and double checking the loads between two different official published reference points — IE reloading manuals. If you elect to utilize any of this data it is at your own risk.

Attachments

• 2020-09-29_13-19-09.jpg
    2020-09-29_13-19-09.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

GeauxTide

I'm a little confused. 10.2 of Universal gives 38,000PSI with standard primers, so you're throwing near max loads for 1100-1200fps. You might consider a 255 Keith under 8-10gr of Unique or Power Pistol.

Mr.RevolverGuy

I prefer the recoil impulse of this load and it is clean burning at the top end. If you look at Alliant's data you will find there is not data Alliant publishes using power pistol for a 240gr or even the load you speak of.

Though I am very well aware many use Power Pistol in 44 magnum including the famous Mr. Pearce his load of 8r is well known.

Yes what I was looking for is 1050 - 1200 in each firearm for my uses. if I wanted more W296 is the go to. :)

ghbucky

Question for the experienced 44 mag loaders.

At some point in the future I plan to shoot Metallic Silhouette in field pistol class with a .44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5in barrel.

If you aren't familiar, what that involves is shooting unsupported over iron sights at 1/4 size animal silhouettes at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards.

What I'm asking for here is anyone that has developed a .44 mag load that delivers consistent accuracy at 100 yards?

44 AMP

Staff
Ultimate UTILITY 44 MAGNUM LOAD

Your "Ultimate UTILITY 44 MAGNUM LOAD" doesn't have much utility for me. None of my .44s has less than a 6" barrel, and loads in the light to medium end don't even cycle the action of one.

What I'm asking for here is anyone that has developed a .44 mag load that delivers consistent accuracy at 100 yards?

Yes, lots of people. :D

I've had good results with full power loads using the classic data and variations. Doesn't mean my loads will be accurate in YOUR gun. Might be, might not be as accurate as you want. No one can say, only shooting through your gun(s) will tell you.

I use Unique for mid range loads, and 2400, W296, H110, and AA#9 for full house. Get data for the components you have, and test loads, its the only way to know for certain what they will do from YOUR gun(s).

FYI, I use magnum primers for full house loads. Some people have good results with some powders with standard primers. Elmer Keith's classic load of a 250 cast over 22gr of 2400 used standard, not magnum, primers.

Skeeter Skelton used 21.5gr 2400 and it did well for him.

Whatever you use, work up in your gun(s) CAREFULLY. And, no matter what ANY book or website says is "max", if you get sticky extraction, or other signs of high pressure, STOP, and back off.

Good luck!

HiBC

You can do whatever makes you happy.
For the 45 years I've shot my Super Blackhawk, I'd guess I shot 1000 cast bullets for every hundred jacketed.
And after playing around in my youth with jacketed bullets,

I came to the conclusion I have little to no reason to shoot anything but wheelweight cast Keith SWC's in a revolver....whether 32 H+R or 44 Magnum.
With young eyes and sitting at a bench,iron sights,ballpark accuracy was around a clay pigeon size group at 100 yds,sometimes more,seldom less.Just saying accuracy was up to as good as I could shoot. I doubt I can do that today.

I generally shoot the 250? gr bullet. Is it the Lyman 429421? I don't remember. I bored the gas check out of the mold.I quit using them.(GC s) I shoot .430/,431 dia wheel weight and have no leading with max h110 loads.
The bullets fit. I've had fun with the 215 gr SWC's,too. The 300 gr Lasercast TC is fun to shoot,too.

And FWIW, H-110 (or 296) works just fine for on the stout loads.

For the 44spl Lipsy,or for milder loads,2400 or Unique work fine for me.

I'll concede there are better SD bullets,such as JHP, but IMO,for my definition of "General Purpose" I'll choose cast wheel weight SWC for near any revolver.

Last edited:

jerseykid

probably a dumb question

Probably dumb but i have to ask
With supplies being as low as they are, gotta work with what's available.
I load 9mm and 40s but now want to start loading 44Mag
I was able to get Hodgdon H110, and CMJ FP 200gr, WIN 44 mag brass.
Every book and website I look at does not have that combo to give me the load data.
When looking at 200gr bullets in the data, does it matter if it's a Hollow point or the CMJFP that I have.
Can I just use the data for H110 and a 200gr hollow point?

HiBC

When looking at 200gr bullets in the data, does it matter if it's a Hollow point or the CMJFP that I have.
Can I just use the data for H110 and a 200gr hollow point?

Off the top of my head,I'm not sure what CMJFP means Probably a jacketed Flat Point??

I prefer not to give advice as far as what you should do. You are on your own.

I will,however.tell you what I would do. If CMJFP is a lead core ,copper jacketed flat point,I would use the published data for a 200 gr JHP, starting with the recommended starting load. I might load about 18 or 24 rounds. Not more,just in case I learn something. I'd see how those shot.

H-110 /296 are not powders you want to reduce loads with. I would not go less than the recommended start load.

Do these bullets have a crimp groove?(Or knurled cannelure) A good roll crimp is important to get proper ignition in a revolver. It also keeps recoil from pulling your bullets out.

Last edited:

HiBC

Semi-autos are a different beast. If you crimp them,it will be to prevent the bullet from being shoved deeper into the case during feeding.That runs pressure up.

Aside from inertial pulling the bullets in a revolver,ignition is an issue.In order to load a revolver,the cylinders have to be a slip fit for bullets. Then there is cylinder gap,which will leak off pressure and flame.Then you still have a forcing cone before the bullet meets the resistance of the rifling.

Without a crimp,the primer can dump the bullet and powder out of the case before the fire gets lit.

The crimp contains the package till some pressure and heat builds.

I'm happy to help you,but I think we have hijacked this thread far enough.

Its good to start your own new thread for a new topic.

Targa

I run up to 9 grains Universal as my primary .44mag load with 240grain bullets. If I want more power than what that 9 grains offers it is time to bring out the H110/296.