Ultimate "Fighting" 1911? Give me some ideas...

Greg Bell

Guys,

When I have mastered the 1911, I will replace my Kimber Warrior with a 1911 of my own construction. This 1911's purpose will be fighting, pure and simple. The primary goals will be, in this order; 1. Reliability; (2) Accuracy; (3) ease of use; (4) carry-ability.

1. Carbon steel frame and slide. Caspian?
2. Cylinder and Slide drop in 4 pound trigger.
3. Bar-sto match barrel.
4. Ed Brown memory groove grip safety.
5. Ed Brown misc parts.
6. Short trigger (no holes).
7. NP3 finish or possibly a "kote" finish.
8. Carry bevel

No front serrations.
No ambi safety.
No Lanyard, or recessed lanyard.

Any additions? Disagreements?

BobK

1. No FLGR
2. Storm Lake Barrel
3. Tru Glo night sights
4. Caspian frame with mag well
5. Laser Grips

Freetacos

Get a used Norinco and use all the money that you save on a good training course. Then you will have a true "fighting" 1911. ;)

WIN71

Wow

I'm going to have to watch this thread. I don't know what half that stuff is. Up untill a couple minutes ago I felt pretty good about the 1911a1 parkerized Remington Rand $17.50 NRA purchased in 1959 "property of U.S" pistol I have. I don't know how many thousand rounds have been fired through it but enough for me to feel confident about its reliability.

Anxiously awaiting more posts,

Igor

tony pasley

I believe that a Colt, Remmington rand, Singer, Union Switch and Signal, all made fighting 1911a1s. Funny they seemed to do the job for many years.

Gib

Greg Bell -
From what I've read most of these guys that build custom 1911's start with a good carbon steel frame and go from there. Are you going to do the work yourself or have someone do it? The reason I ask is there are schools out there where you can take the class and build the 1911 yourself. I don't know if I trust myself with $1500 of parts my first time out, but some have and like the results.

Greg Bell

I plan to do some of it myself. I want to learn the gun inside and out. However, a lot of the serious work will be done by the pros. Caspian will cut the frame and slide, do most of the lapping, etc. I will use C&S ignition bits, etc. I will pay Bar-STO to fit the barrel and bushing. Other things, I can do.

GHB

King_chin0

A fighting pistol, well like above said, tru-glo sights. Extended slide lock, extended saftey, I don't see why not ambi, it is better for fighting, but everyone has a personal preference. a beavertail grip saftey. Slimline grips, micarta would be my preference, but palm swells feel better from houge. A larger and extended mag release. Personally for a fighting gun, I would like an enlarged magwell/mag guide, or get a 30LPI Bobtail Mainspring housing for easier CC. A light trigger, such as an STI trigger, I would definately get a lighter trigger pull, a trigger job would definately be worth it. I would definately get a recoil buffer and a lighter recoil spring for less muzzle flip to stay on target. A full length guiderod. Checkered front strap. Also one more thing I would like to add is, other then the Bar-Sto barrel, have you thought about Nowlin Bull Barrels? I love Cerakote finishes. they have a great selection of color, not as much as Dura, but its a much harder finish.

Greg Bell

I don't see why not ambi, it is better for fighting

I am right handed. It seems like the value of being able to take the saftey off weak handed isn't as valuable as having a less snagy exterior. I punched a hole in my T-shirt with My Kimber Warror's right hand saftey.

Personally for a fighting gun, I would like an enlarged magwell/mag guide

I agree, I just want one that is fairly subtle.

A larger and extended mag release

Maybe a little bigger. Nothing too wild.

., or get a 30LPI Bobtail Mainspring housing for easier CC.

I like the feel of the 1911 grip. Frankly, I prefer the swell of the A1.

I would definitely get a recoil buffer and a lighter recoil spring for less muzzle flip to stay on target.

Sounds like that might effect reliability.

Also one more thing I would like to add is, other then the Bar-Sto barrel, have you thought about Nowlin Bull Barrels?

I have not. I will look into it.

RickB

I haven't been in a gun fight, but the gun that I would hope to have with me, if I was, is very basic. To a certain extent, it is really designed more for carrying than fighting. Fixed sights with rounded edges (Heinie), no oversize or extended anything, except the thumb safety; I've found oversize and extended stuff doesn't really make it any easier to operate, but it makes me lazy, so I start to miss if the stuff ISN'T oversize/extended. If it was a duty gun, rather than concealed carry gun, then I'd probably have a magwell funnel. I have a competition gun built on the Caspian "race ready" frame, with the built-in funnel, and I think it is too long and bulky for concealed carry; I'd want the kind that requires cutting off the end of the frame, as they don't increase the size of the gun (much). My gun has a Kart barrel, which does NOT have a match chamber, and that would be a requirement.

Greg Bell

Rick,

That is a good point about the match chamber. Hmm. I guess I should look into a semi-drop in from either Kart or Bar-sto. Karts tend to be cheaper, I believe.

Sarge

....This 1911's purpose will be fighting, pure and simple. The primary goals will be, in this order; 1. Reliability; (2) Accuracy; (3) ease of use; (4) carry-ability.....
Greg Bell

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_sargesrollcall_archive.html

Watch the 'match' barrels. They tend to have chambers that run to the minimum of the SAMMI dimensions. This is great for a bullseye gun, and an unnecessary source of potential malfunctions on a fighting .45 auto. Given good ammo, decent fitting and .002-.003 bushing-to-barrel clearance, any good USGI spec barrel will shoot 4-5" at 50 yards- which would still keep your shots on a man's torso at 100 if you're properly zeroed at 50- and hold on his head.