(UK) Cops to eat at McDonald's to reduce crime.

The Plainsman

Cops encouraged to go to McDonald's
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Ed Johnson

Sept. 18, 2002 | LONDON (AP) -- Big Mac, fries and a burly police constable please.

Officers are being encouraged to eat at McDonald's and other fast food outlets while on duty to help cut street crime, police officials said Wednesday.

Police chiefs in Birmingham,central England, have issued officers vouchers to eat at McDonald's, in an effort to increase their visibility and save time in walking or driving back to the staff canteen.

In nearby West Bromwich, officers have been encouraged to take meal breaks in public places. The force said the move had been warmly received by local fast food outlets and supermarkets _ police cars parked on the premises helped deter thieves.

Prime Minister Tony Blair's government, which has pledged that street crime will be under control by the end of September, said Wednesday it backed the initiative and was studying how to extend it nationwide.

An ICM opinion poll published Wednesday by the British Broadcasting Corp. found 53 percent of respondents thought street crime had risen in the past six months and 28 percent said they had never seen an officer on the beat in their area.

The government has dedicated $168 million since April to target 10 crime hotspots. Earlier this month, it announced that street crime had fallen by 14 percent since April in those areas.

Chief Superintendent Bruce Gilbert, who is based in West Bromwich, said the public had welcomed the initiative.

Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation Glen Smyth said he could see the benefits but wondered how police across the country would respond to it.

"Sometimes you just need five minutes to yourself, but you are not going to get that if you are on show when you take a meal break," he said. "But having said that, it is maybe advantageous to officers in some cases, and I can see there will be benefits for the public too."

Most respondents to the opinion poll believed street crime had become worse despite the government's crackdown.

The poll suggested that 24 percent of people 55 and above were too worried to leave their homes at night for fear of being mugged, and 32 percent of parents with children ages 10 to 16 were too worried to let them out after dark.

Responding to the poll, a spokeswoman for the Home Office said the latest figures indicate the crackdown is a success, but the public may not notice the difference until a sustained and long-term drop in the offending rate.

The ICM poll surveyed 1,009 people across the United Kingdom age 14 and over between Sept. 9-12. No margin of error was given.

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2002/09/18/copsmcds/index.html

Dave P

Have I got a deal for you! Wear your uniform on your public lunch break and I'll give you a price break :barf:

While they're at it, why not just require the bobbies to wear uniforms even on their off hours? ANd we won't pay you an extra dime! That will keep the sheep happy!

And I liked this tidbit: "The poll suggested that 24 percent of people 55 and above were too worried to leave their homes at night for fear of being mugged, and 32 percent of parents with children ages 10 to 16 were too worried to let them out after dark. "

That's some rough neighborhoods!

Airwolf

Prime Minister Tony Blair's government, which has pledged that street crime will be under control by the end of September...

This is the best example of how out of touch and deluded the powers-that-be are about this whole situation.

Given the submissiveness of the British people, I wonder if they will ever awake from this nightmare of their own creation?

Futo Inu

How is it going to reduce crime when the criminals will know that the lard-butts are too fat to chase them down?

CMichael

Some way to reduce crime make the police officers fat so they can't chase criminals.

I remember some time ago when I lived in NYC there was a big controvery that when officers went to lunch at a diner they wouldn't be charged for their food.

Finally, it became sandal and now they do pay for their lunch as they should.

Michael

D.W. Drang

Prime Minister Tony Blair's government, which has pledged that street crime will be under control by the end of September...
And it will be, too, just wait and see. As for changing definitions and massaging data, well, ignore the man behind the curtain...

Kharn

IIRC, the whole thing about cops and donut shops came about because donut shops kept getting robbed, so some offered free coffee and donuts to cops. A cruiser in the parking lot and/or the knowledge that a cop might stop in for a refill at any second cut down on robberies.

Kharn

C.R.Sam

Protection for sale.
Buy it from the mob
Or buy it from the bobbies.

Protection for those who can afford it.
Denied to those who can't.

Sam

USAFNoDak

The government has dedicated $168 million since April to target 10 crime hotspots. Earlier this month, it announced that street crime had fallen by 14 percent since April in those areas.

What happened in the other areas not within those hot spots. Need Inpuuuuut. How big are those hotspots? If I wass a police chief who had been given $168 million dollars to lower the crime rate in 10 hot spots, I would roust the criminals out of 10 crack houses. The crime rate in those crack houses would go down significantly, and I could use the leftover $150 million to buy a whole bunch of new toys for my officers. My PR would look good, and everyone would be happy as clams, (except the crack tenants). I am not saying this is what's going on, but we do need more data than to just say the crime in those 10 areas is down 14%. What about the overall crime rates? If the crooks just move their operations, and crime goes up in other areas, was spending $168M a good investment?

agricola

80% of all street crime was in those areas, and 50% was in London.... the Met's fall being the biggest (i think) of all