Uh Oh, Rossi R462 .357 Snub VS. Taurus 85

Grapeshot

Yes, I feel like a complete PIA for posting yet another thread about this, but in my previous thread I mentioned that I really liked a new Rossi Stainless .357 I looked at today better than the M85 Taurus I looked at several weeks ago.

In fact, I kind of fell in love with it.

I really like the looks of the Rossi, and the Detective-Special-sized frame is not really too burdensome to me since the gun is a SIX-SHOT, which I much prefer over any 5-shooter. Additionally, I liked the shiny stainless finish and the overall feel of the gun. Even with the big honkin' grips I could still fit it in my pocket (though they'll have to go one day!).

So, anybody got a Rossi experience to share?

Are they as durable as the 85, (which people here seem to really like)? The guy told me they came with the Taurus lifetime warranty, though I have mixed feelings about this, having sent a few Tauri away to them (w/mixed results) years ago for repair.

Anyway, the price for both guns is about the same ... so I shoud get the Rossi, but ... I haven't heard one thing about them on here.

Thanks in advance!

Eric Larsen

You may get some flames about the Rossi or you may not..not many people have actually shot them.
I carried a 677..the forefather to the 461/462 for quite a while and put LOTSOBULLETS thru it. Damn nice gun.
Rossi's of old have a rep for soft metal and poor quality control...that was before the late 80's. New guns are great.
Just for a comparison..I have owned Taurus, S&W, Rossi and Ruger snubbies. My new acquisition is an SP101...driven to church on Sundays, LNIB purchase. We took the 677 and it to the range for its "try out" shoot. The trigger on the Rossi is MUCH better than the Ruger in both modes, is just as accurate and is less punishing on me to shoot full house loads thru.
But I still love my shiny gun with the red light.
Get the Rossi...
Shoot well

Grapeshot

Thanks a bunch, Eric!

Glad to hear about a good experience with the Rossi. Several people on here have the .44's and like them, but this is the first I've heard about their .357's.

tubeshooter

Very interesting, that "soft metal" comment re: older Rossi guns...

I bought a Rossi .22 revo for training purposes, but it has always been a bear to get the empties out. Even unfired shells were way more trouble than they should have been to eject. I had a (legitimate) fear of bending my ejector rod eventually somehow, it was so bad.

Now, this Rossi is fairly old, because it doesn't even have a model number on it or anything & doesn't look exactly like a model 515 (or whatever the .22 model is, I think that's it...). I'd guess late '70s/early '80s....

Anyway, apparently somebody had dry-fired the thing so much that the firing pin had peened the metal on the chambers, some worse than others. This caused the chambers to "grab" the brass upon any extraction attempts.

I took an old pocketknife that I don't give a flip about and carefully trimmed & scraped away the deformed metal, and gave the little recessed areas on the chambers where the firing pin strikes a once-over for good measure. Took all of about 20, 25 minutes. How's *that* for soft metal? ( :) )

I'm not worried about any danger as far as my jackleg gunsmithing job; this is one case where I'm glad it's "just a .22".

Now the thing ejects unfired shells about 85% better (guesstimate), and should actually be fun to shoot/deal with for a change. Can't wait to try it out! :cool:
----------------------------------

As far as you and your decision Grapeshot, I would say that if you really like the gun the way you appear to, go for it. Modern-day Rossi revos seem to be a lot better than the older ones, and about on par with Taurus as far as quality & general odds of getting a lemon. The few owners I've known seemed pleased overall.

If the gun works, you're good to go. If it has issues, well, at least you're not out that much $. It's probably worth taking the chance.

Hope things work out, whatever you end up doing. Shoot safe.

-tubeshooter
"Sorry for the rant.... :)"

Grapeshot

Most amusing anecdote about your .22, Tubeshooter!

And thanks for the input on modern Rossis, that's about what I figured. As you say, there is always a decent chance of getting a lemon (I have gotten a few Taurus lemons over the years, BTW) but I think their guns are a little better these days.

I think it's worth taking a chance. About 10 years ago, for the same money, I bought a used Smith M60 and foolishly sold it for something else. It was an incredible amount of "bang for the buck", and since then I have a hard time paying over $100 more for a new one. The Rossi is right in my desired price range, but I am gonna check on getting some concealable grips for it first.

Thanks again!

Zander

Several of us own the Rossi 720 in .44 Special [no longer made] and it has a bit of a cult following.

My take on the modern-day Rossi revolvers is that they are fine buys for the money, and since they are made on CNC machines, the fit and finish is very good these days.

I have found, with certain exceptions, that resale values are quite low on Rossi wheelguns, though...so make sure you really like it before you buy. :cool:

hitnthexring

I feel sorry for anyone who owns a Rossi. They are pure JUNK!!
If you enjoy sticky extraction (due to inadequately-polished cylinders & stick firing pins, you'll love the Rossi. Why not spend a bit more for a Ruger GP-100 or S&W???

Grapeshot

Hmmm, to be honest the biggest reason not to buy a Smith or a Ruger is that they cost more money than I have right now.

Additionally, I've owned both brands of snubbies in the past, and although impressed, let all of them go for one reason or another. I just can't see buying the same thing all over again at a much higher price this time.

It sounds like you speak from experience - did you own a Rossi?

Grapeshot

"If you enjoy sticky extraction (due to inadequately-polished cylinders & stick firing pins, you'll love the Rossi."

Sounds like the Ruger Bird's Head Vaq. I just sent back to Ruger, ironically. Of the last 2 .45 LC Redhawks I bought, the first one broke it's action in the first 20 rounds (totally jammed up) and the second (which I currently still possess) can't hit the side of a barn at 25 yds. In fact, NONE of the 3 .45 Colt Rugers I currently own have the appropriate chamber mouth dimensions for .451" bullets.

I've had similar disappointments with the last 3 Smith revolvers as well, all having to go back to the factory right out of the box.

While I know American revolvers are better, I just can't force myself to shell out good money for this kind of quality. I'm only saying that at this point, American-made guns should no longer be put on a "high horse" where QC is concerned.

Now South American guns may be a whole lot worse as you say, since I haven't really owned many recently. But it's no wonder why people like me are looking for an alternative, is it?

tubeshooter

Just wanted to say "you're quite welcome" regarding my feedback, Grapeshot. Glad to help.

Just return the favor and help somebody else with a query one day if it's a gun model or situation you know something about. That's what makes the board work. :)

Take care.....

-tubeshooter

jack pringle

have had a rossi 971, 357, six shot, snubby, ss, for about 7 or so years. came with a decent trigger. had my gunsmith polish the guts and made it a slick little gun. shoots reasonably warm l58 laser cast as it is supposed to. no trouble, none, with it. keep looking for another with a 6 inch snout so i can direct compare with the K19 six inch. want a used one as my K gun of near 40 years is well used. incidently, the K shoots as well as ever. gotta luv it

hos

Grapeshot

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and let you know I'll be picking up my new Rossi tomorrow.

A mini-review will be provided ASAP.

Man I am hoping I didn't get a lemon!

Greybeard

All the comments on Rossi have got me planning to do some more checkout today with an older one recently acquired for $195. Posted a similar inquiry thread on it here late yesterday. Will hopefully know more tonight ... Greybeard

Mikeseli

Rossi: This may no longer be timely, but

I have a Taurus mod. 85, and the Rossi .38 equivalent (mod.352 stainless). Both have performed flawlessly at the range,
(wish I could say that about myself).
The're very good quality guns at reasonable prices. I actually like the Rossi a little bit more.
Regards,
Mike

VictorLouis

My experience with one of their stainless .22s

certainly left me underwhelmed. However, one anecdote does not make for a fair evaluation.:) I recently handled their .357 that's a clone of a K-frame M66. It was very smooth in the action, and it had a decent level of fit and finish for under $250.

They are much closer in internal design to older Smiths vs. the Taurus. So, you should be able to have them tuned-up nicer(or settle-in better from dry-firing). Another plus is that they are not yet blessed with any sort of extraneous safety-lock.:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the input. I didn't know about the lockwork thing, which I think is good.

Incidentally, I also have been impressed with their 6" gun. It will be the next handgun I buy.

I bought the Rossi 462 (detailed in another thread) and can tell you it indeed does have a locking device - but it's the Taurus-type, which I find benign. I haven't even tried it yet, and probably never will. Out of sight, out of mind.

VictorLouis

Doh! The one that I saw must have been before the buy-out by Taurus. It was still all-Rossi, and had no lock. Oh well, you can't win them all. I did see your review after I posed, and you certainly seem pleased. Enjoy!:)

Cougar

Rossi 462 vs Taurus 85

Really not a comparison of apples to apples. As you noted, the Rossi is a .357 six-shooter on the standard medium frame, whereas the Taurus 85 is a .38 five-shot on a compact frame. Kinda like comparing a S&W 66 snub to a 60. Totally different guns!

Back in the late 80s, the Rossi were profitmakers for the shop where I hung out. Big markup and still cheaper than anything else comparable domestically. I ordered in a Taurus 85 for myself and found the quality better than the comparable Rossi model (the Mod 88 if I'm not mistaken). Most of the other shop regulars thought so too. I started a mini Taurus trend. Another shop regular ordered one of the first Ruger .357 SP-101s for a backup gun (he's a LEO), but it seemed much heavier, crude and the trigger sucked! He got rid of the Ruger and got something else (AMT Backup .45). That was a real big mistake. He then traded that back and bought a Taurus 85.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is that the older Rossi were deemed to be a step or two below the Taurus. Now that Taurus bought them out, I'm sure the quality is comparable.

Now it is back to that apples to apples comparison...

Grapeshot

Real interesting background, Cougar.

Though I'm not sure I agree with you on the size thing - my Rossi's frame seems much smaller than a K-frame. It's really somewhere in between J and K, and probably would be close to a Colt Detective Special. I carried it CCW in my front pocket today, something I don't think I could do with a K-frame.

There really isn't any other gun currently in production which is this small but still 6-shot, which is why I like it.