Ugly Savage bedding jorb!

So, had an issue with my 111 in 7mm Rem Mag, tight action screws meant tight groups and TOUGH bolt, looser action screws meant smooth bolt and crap groups. I am planning on getting a Hogue full bed block stock later, for now I decided to try my hand at bedding the rifle. Be warned, these images are graphic, this is ugly... But, it worked well, and gave me something to do for a while. Grouping pictures should be coming on Monday, for now here's my not so handiwork!

Pictures!

jglsprings

It doesn't have to be pretty. It just has to work.

I'll bet you wind up being happy with the results.

Make sure you post the pictures of the targets!

I am full on excited for the weekend! It's nice to have the action screwed on tight AND have a good smooth bolt. On top of that, after dinner mounting a new Weaver Classic K 4x scope on it, which is an amazing scope... I see dust floating down the street through it...

Yeah, I normally would, but the scope I had on it is kaput... Reticle went out of focus, and it would place rounds wherever it felt like placing them.

tobnpr

Couple of comments from the peanut gallery....

I would remove the bedding from forward of the barrel nut. Free-float the barrel fully.

Most Savages will shoot better with the rear tang "floated". Because the rear action screw is so forward of the tang, you can induce stress into the action- the same problem you had before- when tightening the rear action screw with the tang bedded.

And, yes- it does need to be somewhat "pretty". It looks to me, like there's still wood showing at the rear of the recoil lug, both on top, and more importantly, at the rear. You did not grind out the wood as you should have done, to make room for an adequate epoxy bed.

Just callin' it as I see it- don't take offense, but the bedding job was not done properly.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

olddav

I'm not showing "tobnpr" my bedding job!:eek:
Shoot it and then decide what to do, as for my first and only bedding job it looks UGLY but it does work. Sometime in the future I will redo the bedding just to make it a bit more presentable.:D

@tobnpr

No offense taken, it is truly a horrible job.:eek: I don't like this stock and plan on replacing it before 2013, for now I figured I would try my hand and chuck the stock for now if I really botched it. The bedding doesn't touch the barrel nut or barrel (well, ok, the barrel nut for maybe 1/8") and the tang I prepped for bedding before finding out it shouldn't be, so I taped it, it free floats by a few hairs.

The recoil lug, honestly, I didn't know how to deal with it... It has open spaces and a metal piece at the base (by the barrel nut) and I was concerned about locking it to this stock, so I overdid it... Pretty bad, too.

Overall, it did relieve stress in the action, and taught me a bunch! Thanks for the article, I'll be reading it tonight. Thanks for the criticism, I promise I take it well, I just want to learn!

---afterthoughts---
The reason I don't like the stock is it is flimsy... I can visibly bend it in my hands, which is why I put epoxy up the barrel channel, I was hoping to strengthen it till I replace it. It worked, so far.

Also, shooting tomorrow, so pics coming by Monday evening!

Last edited:

tobnpr

Thanks. Just trying to help. No expert here, but I've done a half-dozen or so, learned from my mistakes.

I've bedded a couple of rifles with JB, but as you've seen it's a bit lacking in consistency. Makes it tough to get it on vertical surfaces, and have it stay there long enough before getting the action seated.

Hey- if your groups tightened up to where you're happy with them, don't screw with it. If not, I would grind out the area behind the recoil lug.

Don't be afraid of removing too much wood-especially behind the recoil lug. This area is critical. At least 1/8"- 1/4" of epoxy is fine here. Too thin, it will be unable to absorb the stress and will crack.

As recoil stress is induced into the action, ALL of it goes into that lug. Any gap, between the wood, and the lug, results in movement- which is what we don't want.

You would grind out the wood directly behind the lug- make a big azz hole- that part doesn't have to be pretty, as the epoxy will fill it all. Place two pieces (layers) of blue, painter's masking tape on the front, and the sides, of the lug. NONE on the rear. Leaving the thickness of the tape on the front and rear will leave just enough play to get the action out of the stock. Now, the rear of the recoil lug will be firmly in contact with the epoxy bed, and unable to move rearward under recoil.

I don't know what you used for release agent, but a tin of Kiwi (neutral color) shoe polish for five bucks at K-Mart will last you forever...

Installing pillars is, really, at least as important as the bedding job- especially for wood stocks. When you tighten the action screws, you're compressing the
wood- and the wood will also change dimensionally in response to temperature and humidity. When you install pillars, you're tightening steel to steel- and this results in much greater consistency.

I just made this one from scratch, bedded the action, and used the pillars from the factory stock (7mm-.08). One hole at 100 :)

IMAG0699.jpg

Happy shooting!

I have a giant tub of turtle wax laying around, from when I had a `75 Grand Marquis... I didn't polish it, just painted it on, next time I'll do it right, apply, polish, repeat, repeat, for a closer job. I was a bit hesitant on dremelling the stock, it's hard to find good reads on certain parts of bedding, but I wanted to damn near gut the stock. I really only used JB Weld since I was impatient and didn't want to wait, for the stock I plan on getting I will be using Devcon plastic steel, the kind specified in the article you linked. I was looking at Acraglas Gel, but I don't want to add in another step (adding steel or aluminum powder) if I don't have to.

Side note, the turtle wax came in handy in other ways, I took the firing pin assembly apart without thinking about it, and then had a son of a hard time putting it back together, only to find out it needs proper spacing... I have no micrometer, to I used some fired cases, routed out the primer, put in wax, levelled it out, then "fired" it for comparison to other fired rounds to get proper protrusion. Live and learn, so far no irreversible mistakes!

Also, that is a fine looking rifle! It's what my mind sees as my finished product, but with a hunting style stock, for mine... The journey from idea to reality is... Well... An experience.