Uberti Remington Dovetails?

Tom2

I think I asked about this somewhere years ago, but now I forget the answer. Why does Uberti dovetail the front sight and the stud to the barrel on the Remington .44's they sell?

Tom2

OK then how come when I look at the old Remingtons for sale at gunshows, I have yet to see one with visible dovetails on it? Was that an early feature or something? Must have a good reason, especially for the loading stud, as it represents alot of work to add tight seamless dovetails to the barrel versus just drilling holes and putting in the parts.

Hawg

The front sight on mine was I know but after thinking about it that was a Remington Beals with the silver cone.

mykeal

They do it because they believe their customers prefer to have a drift adjustable front sight, and thus they will sell more guns. Pure and simple. Why is that so hard to figure out?

Tom2

Well because it would look like **** with the front sight base sticking out on one side to set very much windage, unless you are purely competition driven. I have no intention of doing that. That is what Rugers Old Army are for.

mykeal

So, you are not one of the people that they had in mind when they made that decision. I hope that's not a problem for you. It clearly isn't for them.

Oldfalguy

my s/n 96xxx does not have visible dovetails of any kind at all- Looks a bit like a Pietta front sight.

I like the Uberti dove tail because to me if I was to file ont he front side to get the POI I wanted and I screwed the pooch I would be in a better position to simple replace it vs one that was stacked in.