Uberti cattleman shoots left...?

Don P

Just a possibility that its shooter error:eek: Loose barrel, highly unlikely. Shoot from a solid rest, and you can also have someone else shoot the gun.

Slamfire

I have done that on a couple of single actions.

I believe the sights are lined up correctly from the factory on my single actions but that the pattern moving left is due to my hand movements during firing. Somehow I am consistantly pushing the thing left during trigger release or after the hammer falls.

Since I am not the only one I must assume that sights are not compensated for the dynamics of the human hold.

A bud turned me a rod that exactly fit the inside of my 44 Special. I put the barrel in a barrel vise, the rod preventing crushing of the barrel, I have the proper action wrench for the revolver frame, and I turned the barrels a tiny amount. You have to play with it but you can get your pistol to shoot to point of aim.

It is not worth sending it back to the factory as they will realign the thing with optical devices or lasers and it will shoot just as much left as before.

the Black Spot

Thanks for the replies. I just happened to notice my groups were shooting left at 25 yards when I was testing some handloads from a rest. I will pay attention to my finger position next time to make sure it is not me.

L_Killkenny

IMO I don't see anyway that all fixed sight handguns can come from the factory with sights dead on left and right. It's not like the manufacturer's test fire enough rounds to be able to confirm the sights. The only real way to tell is to have a good shooter (maybe you, I don;t know) take it to a bench.

My .32H&R Single Six shoots 1-2" left from the factory. It happens.

LK

Model-P

On a more serious note, most right handers find fixed sight guns shoot left from the factory. Try not puting your trigger finger in so far- only use the tip of the finger on the trigger. That's the most common mistake. But don't be surprised if it still shoots left for you. Turning the barrel in a hair is the proper procedure to move the groups right.

MidwestRookie

On a more serious note, most right handers find fixed sight guns shoot left from the factory.

And, like me, 99% of the time its simply lack of trigger control.

A rest is the only way to find out how the gun itself is actually shooting..

Joe the Redneck

I love sa revolvers. I hate fixed sights.

Yes, you can adjust fixed sights. No, I do not recommend it. It is very easy to get into trouble whacking at things.

If it isn't just an operator error, just adjust your hold. Much easier in the long run.

Enjoy it as is. If you fell whistful about it, just keep repeating:

"This is not a target gun. This is not a target gun. This is not a target gun."

Model-P

It can be trigger control, but a handgun will always want to recoil away from the palm. The more the recoil, the more the effect.

Shooting from a bench can tell you where the gun itself shoots as far as windage, but is utterly useless for determining elevation or where the gun shoots windage-wise when shooting offhand. The only thing it will tell you is if the windage discrepency is with you or the gun. Even if you're doing everything right, the gun can still shoot to the left in offhand. That's just how handguns are, and why many right-handers with adjustable sighted handguns have their rear sight over toward the right.;)

Last edited:

Jbar4Ranch

the Black Spot said:
Does this mean the barrel needs tightened down more to the frame? Thanks

Correct. Although the end result is the same, it would be more correct to say the frame needs to be tightened onto the barrel, because the barrel will be clamped in a barrel vise and the frame turned with a frame wrench.

Ideal Tool

What Joe the Redneck said is right on. I have a Colt 2nd. gen. 7 1/2" .38 spec. S.A.A. that just about drove me nuts trying to find a load that shot to sights. Finding an accurate load was easy..But the thing was shooting way right & low..I'm talking lower R.H. corner of big cardboard backer!
Finally, out of desperation, I stood up and shot it with arm extended, left hand supporting wrist.
Low and behold, it shot the center out of that target! What I am getting at is..try EVERYTHING..including various loads before doing anything to that revolver.