Uberti cattleman el patron caliber?

XD45Sooner

I think I am going to buy a cattleman el patron but I don't know what caliber to get it in. Either 357 or 45 colt? I would like 45 colt but it will be very expensive to feed the beast since I don't reload. 357 would be fine but do any of you own one in 357? Does it shoot pretty close to point of aim using 38 special loads as well as 357? Not sure what to get here, help me out please.

Jim March

Well I own a gun of that same size and type in 357, a Ruger NewVaq. 38 and 357 will shoot to a very similar point of aim as long as the bullet weight is the same or at least similar (you won't be able to notice the difference between, say, 135gr and 140gr).

You'll be able to shoot the stoutest 357s made by smaller radical ammo houses like Buffalo Bore, DoubleTap, etc. Your cylinder will have more "beef" in every direction than a GP100 or S&W L-frame so the gun won't be the least bit weak.

You *might* want to swap to US-made springs. If you can afford it, Longhunter's pre-tuned version of the El Patron is pretty nice:

http://www.longhunt.com/taylor/smokewagon.htm

This is also an Uberti-made gun at the same level of finish as the El Patron and *then* a very well respected gunsmith does some magic on it.

Ubertis made in the last 10 years or so are very respectable guns. They lack a modern safety so they're safe carried five-up only. Uberti's version of the transfer bar safety comes with their Beretta-labeled variants, but those aren't as successful - the action is weaker and the SASS people have been complaining about failures with high round counts. The Ubertis without safeties including the El Patron and Smokewagon hold up better.

38 Super Fan

I'd definately go with the 357 if I were concerned with ammo prices. My single action in 45 Colt dosen't make it out the safe nearly as much as my 38 Special chambered ones.

gak

Another for the .357. Keep in mind, however, that they're very different feeling/balancing guns. Any .357 is relatively hefty due to there being that much more metal with its small(er) bore--7 of those holes adds up. I'd keep the .357 to the 4.75" barrel length to at least keep some of that weight down and reduce the nose-heavy characteristic. Every little bit counts on the hip.

MrAcheson

You could also get it in .45 and budget the $100 for an additional ACP cylinder. You're right you really need to reload just to be able to afford any amount of .45 colt.

The Great Mahoo

MrAcheson said:
You could also get it in .45 and budget the $100 for an additional ACP cylinder. You're right you really need to reload just to be able to afford any amount of .45 colt.

This is a great suggestion. I'm not certain Uberti makes convertable cylinders for .45acp, though.

I have a Cimmeron .45LC that never sees any rangetime, along with my Marlin levergun :(. I had my S&W 625MG cut for moon-clips, letting me shoot it with more abbundant 45acp rounds. I'd be quite interested in getting a .45ACP cylinder for my single-action. As much as I like .357, it just doesn't quite stack up to the feeling of a .45, the way it was meant to be.

shafter

If your gonna get a cowboy gun get it in a cowboy caliber. 45 colt is awesome and super easy to reload. You can get simple reloading equipment for $100 bucks.

This is a great suggestion. I'm not certain Uberti makes convertable cylinders for .45acp, though.

They do. VTI Gun Parts in Lakeville, Connecticut, can fix you right up. I bought one in .45 Auto from them awhile ago.

MrAcheson

They do. VTI carries them. Numrich and Brownells do too although they tend to come in and out of stock.

Last edited:

SigP6Carry

I suggest the .357 model for no reason other than cost. The frame of these guns can handle the stoutest of .357 and eat the cheapest of .38spl. .38spl is much lest expensive to shoot than .45LC or .44spl. From my perspective, the .357 models are best, just make sure you clean the hell out of your cylinder chambers if you should .38 in it, so it'll accept .357 cleanly.