Uberti .45 LC...any good?

defjon

I've tried to dig up a little research, but come up empty handed. I've got a great collection already, and really...no spare coins at the moment, but- I always like to be "shooting" towards another achievable goal. At the moment, my well rounded collection is lacking anything that starts with a four. I like cowboy guns, and have a love for single actions. The local gander mt has a Uberti .45 for well under three bills. So, being a poor college boy, this while a ways in the future is obtainable. I don't know anything about this brand though.

So, any info, yay or nay, would be great. I don't get to do a LOT of shooting, so ammo being prohibitively expensive isn't a big deal. Thanks again!

News Shooter

Good choice

If you're just wanting to get a decent SA at a reasonable price the Ubertis
are perfect. They're strong and reasonable well made. You'll probably want to change the springs on it. A better step up for another $100 or so would be the Ruger Vaquero. The Vaquero is used by the majority of Cowboy shooters.
But, you won't go wrong with Unberti.

SIGSHR

I have had a Uberti Remington M1875 since 1979. Excellent fit and finish,
it seems to me the Italian made guns are usually a bit better finished than
most others. Accuracy is fine.

Nortonics

If that's a new Uberti for well under 3 bills, then it has to be a Uberti Millennium, which is the least expensive they offer I believe. They're offered at many outlets, like Cabela's for instance:

Uberti Millenium Centerfire Revolver

i213900sq01v3.jpg

If so, I hear they're okay - nothing real super that ya gotta' write home about. Now move up to a Uberti Cattleman and you're in a whole new ball game, and about twice as expensive.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Finish is typically good to gooder.
Like all of the Italian clones, although the Ubertis have gotten better in recent years in terms of steels and heat treating, they're still something of a gamble. Take any two sequentially off the line, one may be very good, the other may be a total POJ.

TwoKings

I picked up a Beretta Stampede a few weeks ago (made by Uberti) and I was curious if these use the Transfer bar system like the Berttas?

I have heard conflicting stories about how the Stampedes are either the same thing, or completely different from the Ubertis.

DPris

Member Emeritus
So far, the Stampedes made by Uberti for Beretta are the only Uberti revolvers I know of with that transfer bar.
But, since Uberti traditionally holds exclusivity on new models for a given importer for a couple years or so, that transfer bar could easily show up on Ubertis imported by other companies at any time.

loosecannon

I have a Mitchell which is made by Uberti I have never had any problems with it. It's a real sweet shooter. Now that Uberti is owned by Beretta they must have Beretta quality control.

gak

The Millenium noted has a brass gripframe/backstrap...and thus is cheaper. The lesser Ubertis (and I believe other Italian makers' SAA clones) regardless of importer - have ways sported this brass component, while the better "Cattlemen," etc., are steel. If yours has the brass -- which doesn't necessarily make it a bad gun but they are generally considered lesser models -- that may explain why it is as cheap as you have found -- or you may have just found a good deal in a steel model.

Wheel-Gunner

I too have been looking closely for a Single Action revolver. I have considered the Beretta Stampede or a Uberti (same thing), but I don't think I'll be getting either. Uberti and Beretta Stampede's are almost the exact same thing. Uberti is owned by Beretta. I know a lot of guys in single action shooting clubs who compete in cowboy shooting. The consensus view there is that Uberti/Cimarron/Beretta Stampedes, the "Italian clones" are very hit and miss and the majority of cowboy shooters have not been happy with them. They also do not have a lifetime warranty, which sucks!

On the other hand, these cowboy shooters seem to be recommending Ruger's and the new Taurus Gaucho (there are others that they recommend as well like Freedom Arms, but those are way outta my price range!). I have pretty much decided on the Taurus Gaucho. "Taurus!?!" I know, I know...the feelings regarding Taurus have been mixed. BUT, they have an unlimited lifetime warranty and they come in a ton of variety as far as finishes, calibers, and barrel lengths are concerned. They are going for approx $350 NIB, give or take, and with that price, you can't beat it. Why not pay an extra $50 and get something better than a Uberti with a lifetime warranty?

Go with the Gaucho, instead of trying to luck out (ie not get a lemon) with the Uberti!

TwoKings

I thought about the Taurus and Ruger but I have always been told by friends and family to avoid these brands like the plague...

100W_Warlock

Get the millenium...

Best deal in town. 45lc with good cylinders and decent sights. (well, it is a cowboy gun)

I gave one to my dad after I stripped off the finish and reblued it with BlueWonder. (took some time, but, results were very good)

I polished up the brass grip frame and then used some of my spare "Brass black" to make it dark.

Even if you don't mess with the finish, its still a very fine shooting iron.

I would take some time and clean up the action with some polishing stones, though. Makes it alot nicer on the trigger finger. (it doesn't really need an "action job", as such)

$250 at Sportsmans Warehouse, or $279 at Cabelas. I think Gander Mountain also has them as well. ($279 if I remember correct)

Fun guns with either 200gr or 250gr boolits.