Uberti .45 Colt with Brass Grip Frame: Looking for Effective Woods Load

I have a 4 3/4" Uberti 1873 Cattleman Millennium in .45 Colt. It has the brass grip frame. I have a Lee 452-255-RF mold that drops boolits at 265 grains. Powders that I have available are Triple 7 fffg, HS-6, Unique, Trail Boss.

QUESTION:
I want an effective woods load for the Southeastern U.S.. But, one that will not damage the revolver with regular use/target practice. **What load would ya'll put together with this boolit and these powders that would meet the stated need?

Thanks

GeauxTide

Start at 8gr of Unique, Std primers, and good roll crimp. If your piece can handle the 357 Blackhawk frame loads (20k), then 9 gr. will put you close to 1000.

Clark

I have been shooting the same Uberti revolver at 1225 fps 250 XTP with H110 for 10 years. The recoil is heavy and I think the cylinder is loosening up. Not as loose as a new Ruger Blackhawk, but getting looser. I welded some material onto the front sight to correct for the heavy recoil loads.

Attachments

• Two old Uberti single action Army 45 Colts, 4.75 in Iver Johnson and 5,50 in SWMLS gama 3-24-201.jpg
    Two old Uberti single action Army 45 Colts, 4.75 in Iver Johnson and 5,50 in SWMLS gama 3-24-201.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 34

reloader28

I've been getting good results with 7 gr Green Dot and 255gr RF.
Not a screamer, about 800fps, but with a RF cast boolit, you'll still get excellent penetration.
Your meplat will be even bigger than my NOE so you should get excellent performance as well.

LivewireBlanco

I've used 8.5 gr Unique with that bullet. That's max of what I'm comfortable with shooting in my Uberti. Now my Blackhawk on the other hand...

Hunter Customs

I have a Cimarron Uberti 1873 model, mine is the steel frame 4 3/4 inch barrel in 45 Colt.

In the short time I've had the gun the round count is up to 5600 give or take a few.
The gun has held up very well, I actually like the gun better then my Rugers.

Because of the powder situation I've shot all kinds of loads through it, some pretty hot ,some what I call average, no powder puff loads.

As for now I'm loading what I consider an average load, 9.5 grains of Herco topped off with a 255 gr SWC for a velocity of 922 FPS.

Of the powders you listed I would load HS6 or Unique and work up a load in the 850 to 900 FPS range.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Hunter Customs

I have been shooting the same Uberti revolver at 1225 fps 250 XTP with H110 for 10 years. The recoil is heavy and I think the cylinder is loosening up. Not as loose as a new Ruger Blackhawk, but getting looser.

Clark, that's a pretty stout load, I could understand the cylinder starting to loosen some.

After 5600 plus rounds of some tier 1 & 2 loads my Uberti is still tight in the lock-up department, it's much tighter then all the new unfired Ruger SA guns I've had in the shop.

The grip frame on the 5.5 inch barrel gun in the picture looks longer, is it longer then the grip frame on the 4.75 inch barrel gun?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Clark

I am about to drive 900 miles to go hunting.
I get there a few weeks early for long range target practice, handloading in the field, and wringing out the problems with whatever rifles I have built that year.
I target practice 5 miles from town, and know the spot well.
I got a pic from there this morning.

attachment.php

pic above same as link below

Attachments

• Mysterious foot prints and bone found  9-26-2014.jpg
    Mysterious foot prints and bone found 9-26-2014.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 103

wachtelhund1

Try RL-7. I load 26.5 grains of RL-7 behind Nosler 250 grain JHP bullet for 1,160 to 1,200 fps. Recoil is mild as this is a rifle powder and pressure peaks slower the pistol powders.