Uberti 1886 45-70

oldbear1950

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Uberti built copy of the 1886.
I do know that Cimarron firearms out of Texas sells them and I assume others do as well.
I am saving up my money to buy one and understand they are fine firearms

44 AMP

Staff
Are you looking for that specific gun, or an 86 Winchester repro (or original?)

or just a fine .45-70 lever gun for field use??

I have no personal experience with the Uberti, but I have handled original 86s and the Browning reproduction.

Fine guns, slick guns, and HEAVY guns.

I owned and used a modern Marlin 1895, one of the guns made shortly after they put in the crossbolt safety. For me, it was a better hunting gun than an 86 would be, being lighter and taking a scope easily. 400gr up to 1800 or so, if you felt the need for something that heavy. Don't crawl the stock if its scoped...:D:eek:

If you've got the itch for an 86, good repros are out there for enough $.

Sorry I can't give you a personal opinion on the Uberti. The design is sound, the only question would be how well they built it.

GeauxTide

I had a Marlin 1895. With 400gr Bullets at 1500, it kicked like a PO'd mule. The replicas will have thinner stocks, increasing the recoil.

jaguarxk120

Look at the Uberti handguns made today. They have been making guns for a very long time.
Another fine 1886 rifle is the B.C. Miroku, they have to notch quality.
Miroku makes all the Browning O/U's!

oldbear1950

uberti 1886 45-70

I already have a Henry all weather with the side loading gate 45-70, with 18.5 inch barrel that compares very well with the new Marlins. I grew up with lever guns so not real partial to the safety Ruger/Marlins have or that the Miroku built Winchesters have.
I just wanted that 1886, for the 9 rounds it holds and to see how it compares to he Henry.
I already reload for that caliber