Uberti 1885 30-30?

smee78

Hi everyone,

I was looking at a LGS and saw something that drew my attention, its a Uberti 1885 30-30. While I have never owned a falling block rifle there is something that keeps getting stuck in my head about this gun. I already have a few Marlins in 30-30 and I like the caliber, I have done a little looking around/reading as much as I can about these. The one they have is a 30" octagonal tapered barrel, single trigger, walnut wood (no checkering)model what are these selling for? I saw where it was said that they stopped making them in 30-30 is this true? They had it listed for $700 but its been there for a little while. So what say yall? Good deal or keep walkin?

Thanks,

I also reload but not for the 30-30 yet, here is the link for the gun.
http://www.ubertireplicas.com/interno.php?idpaginaprincipale=5&idpagina=15&idarticolo=55

Last edited:

smee78

" I like 1885s, and I like 30-30, so it sounds good to me."

Ya me too, I'm thinking about picking it up. I was just hoping to hear some reviews from possible owners. I like the looks of it and its got some good weight to it.

mattL46

Love my winchester 85. I would love to have one in 30-30. Better yet I'd love to find a low wall action to build a heavy barreled 22LR with a set of BA tang sights with an equally BA front globe. Sorry...just a dream of mine.

eastbank

i had one of the early uburdi 85,s in 30-30 and it was a big disapointment. it would not shoot lead bullets and only liked 170gr jacketed ones and then not to good,2-2.5" groups at 50yds. i sold it to a friend who had it rebarreled to 32-40 win and now its a shooter. i have quite a few single shots,win,browning and rugers that shot rings around that ubirdi 85, maybe i just got a bad one. eastbank.

smee78

Thanks esatbank for sharing, I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with one of these (good or bad). Is there anyway you could P.M. me part of your serial number so I can check to see if this rifle is close to the production of yours? Thats to bad that it does not like cast bullets, were you rolling your own or buying factory ammo? If the loads were yours do you recall what speed you were pushing them to?

eastbank

i don,t have the serial number close, the cast bullets were cast hard and soft and with gas checks and none, powders were h4227-h4895-h4198 and 2400. and sized 309, 310 and 311 dia., cases were full lenth sized and only neck sized. eastbank.

smee78

Well its still there, I think I'm going to put up an offer next time I'm in there and see if they bite.;)

smee78

Ya it was hard to walk out of there last time without putting it on lay-a-way. Money is to tight right now so a strait out deal is out of the question.

reynolds357

I think for the money, I would rather have the 1885 Winchester (made or imported by Winchester) but that's just my 2 cents.

fatwhiteboy

I have a Browning 1885 in .22-250 which I love. I don't know what you are going to use it for but .30-30 limits your range. I would get one in .270, 7MM mag, .308, etc, if you are going to hunt with it...

smee78

I have other guns for hunting so that requirement is covered. As for its use, it would be just for fun/plinker.