U.S. Firearms SAA, any good?

blades67

I saw a U.S. Firearms SAA with a case color frame and blue unturned cylinder for 499$. It sounds like a good deal, but I don't know anything about U.S. Firearms, or what this gun is worth.

I will be getting a SAA for use in CAS events in the near future, should I buy this gun? Will it be reliable? Will it need to be worked over like the Rossi lever guns?

Thanks to all for looking.

Snake Jenkins

You'll be very pleased with the US firearms pistols. they have the fit and finish of the early Colts without the price tag. I own a 4 3/4" .44-40 and a 7 1/2" .45 Colt, the accuracy is top notch even with the period sights. (3.5" for the .45 at 25 yards and an even 4" for the .44-40 at 25 yards.)

Snake

Dave T

Last time I visited their web site they were asking something on the order of $1000-$1400 depending on model. $499 sounds like a screaming deal to me.

WIL TERRY

THE U.S FIREARMS ARE INDEED

SUPERB SA SIXGUNS, EASILY THE BEST OF THE COLT CLONES.
THEIR " RODEO " MODEL IS A STEAL FOR SURE.

jjmorgan64

The one Rodeo that i got to handle really impressed me, i was looking at the time at a rodeo and a colt cowboy, man their is absolutely no comparison.

blades67

Thanks guys. I checked with a couple of local CAS shooters and they said almost the same thing.

I bought the gun, but now I have to decide if I want to shoot it or not. I didn't know these guns were going for a grand a pop!:eek: It was a smoking deal, the gun was part of a trade and had been sitting in the case for a couple of weeks. I was the first person to ask about it. I was asked to make an offer, so I offered 400$. The owner countered with 499$ and I said "deal".:cool: Now I just have to explain this to the Boss Lady in a manner that won't require my sleeping outside for a week!:eek: :D

Jim Watson

I don't understand, why would you have to decide whether to shoot it or not? It's a good gun, you got a good deal. So go have a good time. What's the alternative; sell it for a profit and buy a clunker?

Your real problem is going to be explaining to your wife that CAS takes two. Plus a rifle, shotgun, and wardrobe.

A few weeks ago I spotted an ad for these guns for 499 so I did an internet search and went to their website only to find thousand dollar (plus) guns. These advertised guns must be a "value series" or something. Anybody know?

They also claim to be making guns "under the blue dome" in Hartford. Doesn't Colt own the Onion Dome?

Jim Watson

The USFAs advertised for $499 are probably the Rodeo model, list price $505. They are standard quality mechanically with a flat black finish, no options. Still a good deal, they are mentioned very favorably on the SASS Wire.
http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
A B/CH gun at that price as described by blades67 is a bargain.

Colt does not own the blue dome any more. As I understand it, the city of Hartford owns the building and leases it out to USFA; and to other startup businesses if USFA hasn't taken up all the space by now. One of the earlier owners of Colt, I forget his name, the asset stripper with middle eastern contacts, sold the horsie off the dome.

Alex Johnson

If you need a mate for that you should look at the AWA clones, I've been very impressed with the two I've seen and have been thinking about buying one. On the plus side brand new ones in our local sporting goods stores are bringing around $550 so they are cheaper than the retail price of the above mentioned pistols.

blades67

I forgot to tell the Boss Lady about all the equipment needs for CAS events. You know, we got to talking about the dressing up in funny...er...period correct clothing (She'd like to see me dressed up like a cowboy for some reason. Of course, she thinks there's only two kinds of music, Country and Western.) and I kind of forgot to mention the need for two pistols, a lever gun and scattergun. (Oops.;))