TZ99 on Top Shot

In tonight's episode of Top Shot, they were using a TZ99 for the elimination round. After a cursory search, it appears to be a Sig 226 knockoff made in South Africa and the decocking lever serves double duty for the slide release (I think). Anyone have further information as well as opinions of this firearm?

Chris_p

sweet shooter

Yes it's a copy of the sig. It's very well machined. I wore out the recoil spring after about 3000 rounds. I sold it to a friend, like a dumb ass, and wish I could have it back.

JasonWilliam

Subscribed. I did the same cursory google search and found it retails for under $400. Seems like a quality piece for the money.

Wonder why TopShot would use the copy, rather than a Sig?

Chris_p

The TZ has been out of production for some time. It has a new cousin the EZ 9 which is getting some good reviews. I had a chance to handle one at a local shop and it looked fine from the outside. I made the mistake of opening it up the inside looked horrible. It has some sort of twisted two strand spring that I've never seen before and the machining was very, very crude.

sserdlihc

Maybe their punishing sig on behalf of all shooters for the mosquito.

Perhaps.:D

In tonight's episode of Top Shot, they were using a TZ99 for the elimination round. After a cursory search, it appears to be a Sig 226 knockoff made in South Africa and the decocking lever serves double duty for the slide release (I think). Anyone have further information as well as opinions of this firearm?

I had never heard of it either. Glad I wasn't the only one.

Zhillsauditor

I had heard of it, and was thinking it was a CZ 75 copy until they showed it close up and I recognized it as a sig copy. I was thinking my memory was gone until I did a little research this morning and found that CZ did have their fingerprints on the design at some point.