(TX) Grand Prairie Robbery not Thwarted by Armed CHL Holder

This was just on the evening news and I have not found a text link on the internet yet for it, although I am sure one is forthcoming.

Apparently, two individuals have been on a small time crime spree to Waffle Houses and convenience stores in the areas south and west of Dallas. During one such robbery where the clerk had been robbed at gun point, forced to give up his wallet, and taken to the back room, another customer entered the store. That customer was named Compton and he holds a CHL and was carrying. The robbers were meandering in the store when Compton entered. He grabbed a paper and went to the counter to check out when one of the bad guys stuck a gun in his chest and demanded his wallet. This was all shown on the security camera video. Compton complied and was directed to the back room. Somewhere in getting out his wallet and going to the back room, Compton went for his gun, but when he started to draw it, the mag release got hit and unseated his mag. Fortunately, Compton realized that left him with one round and two armed bad guys and his attempt to draw his weapon went unnoticed and the bad guys left Compton and the clerk in the back of the store, alive. In the video, you can see Compton's actions, but I did not notice anything resembling going for a gun (maybe I missed it? and apparently so did the bad guys).

Even though Compton was unsuccessful in halting the robbery, this story has several lessons for people who carry concealed.

First and foremost is that bad things can happen to good people when they least expect it. This was apparently a morning robbery, not the usual time for these events.

Second, being able to carry a firearm legally simply gives you the option to use it should you need to use it and if the circumstances are favorable or necessary for you to use it.

Third, your choice of carry methods, choice of weapons, and skill level in their use can seriously affect whether or not you can deploy your gun effectively.

Last, proper working knowledge of your firearm may become critical if something goes wrong with it. In Compton's case, at least he realized that the mag (he referred to as a 'clip') had unseated and he subsequently based his decision on what to do given that he had only one round available to fire.

Compton was definitely fortunate in that no one (especially him) got hurt. Given that the odds were two to one in favor of the bad guys and given that they already had their guns drawn, Compton likely would have had a difficult time successfully drawing his soon-to-be malfunctioning gun (when round #2 would be expected) and successfully stop two bad guys with one shot. One thing Compton did not mention was whether the mag was simply unseated or if the entire mag had come out of the gun. If just unseated, he might have been able to reseat the mag as he drew the weapon. Of course there would be a lot of potential for trouble by having to do that as well and aim before the first shot so as not to have to re-rack the slide for subsequent shots. The reseating and aiming would have to be performed under the pressure of having two bad guys trying to prevent his successful gun deployment.

Marko Kloos

Compton went for his gun, but when he started to draw it, the mag release got hit and unseated his mag.

Suddenly I get the warm and fuzzies about carrying a wheelgun most of the time. One of the principal advantages for me has always been the fact that it's a closed weapons system.

For the record, I also carry my SIG and the Beretta with confidence, so I have faith in the performance of autos as well.

.45-70

Can you imagine the dread he must have felt when he realized his magazine was just compromised?

I don't understand how this can happen if he had a weapon of any quality.

Am I missing something?

So far, I haven't seen anything on the make or model of the gun. Some good guns have light mag releases just like some have light triggers. My Colt Pony has a light mag release and it isn't a problem is carried in the holster, but in a pocket, the button sometimes does get depressed and the mag unseats. Another possibility is that the gun may have been modified with a raised mag release button there by making it easier to get bumped and release the mag, or it could be that the mag release button spring might have been performing less that intended due to over use, manufactured with improper tension, or breakage.

One other aspect is that Compton might have done this inadvertantly in trying to draw the gun. Whether the problem was due to the gun, method of carry (not stated in the interview), or handling of the gun was not reported.

capnrik

I know that autoloaders are the rage...

But I love my wheelguns.

My favorite carry piece for many years has been a Colt's Single Action Army.

I went to the range today, and shot my newest single action, a 2nd Gen .357 SAA. I also shot my 1991A1 stainless .45.

The SAA shot tighter groups, and went "bang" every single time.

The .45ACP failed to feed three times in fifty rounds.

The .45 is much easier to conceal.
It holds 9 rounds safely, whereas my SAA only carries 5, safely.

The .45 is a breeze to reload.

The SAA is a pain.

The SAA goes "bang", every time.
;)