TX: Concealed Carry Question

Big Calhoun

Let me preface by saying that I'm going for my CCW in August, once I've been a resident of TX for 6 months, pursuant to the rules. Hence, why I'm asking here.

I've seen some confusing signs and seek clarification.My understanding of TX CCW laws is that there are restrictions where you can and can't carry. However, even at a venue (ie. grocery store that doesn't sell alcohol) that isn't restricted, there is a sign they can post that refers to a statute that they don't allow CWs.

At several places, I've noticed a sign that simply says, and I'm paraphrasing, that the unlicensed possesion of a weapon on said premises is an offense. It doesn't refer to the specific statute and it is not written in the block letter style mandated by the law. Is this basically stating that you can't carry unless you have a CCW or that you can't carry at all?

Normally I have a copy of the laws and statute numbers with me but I travelled light to the office today. Thanks for any insight!

isa268

its saying you can't carry without a CHL. since you can't carry with out a CHL in texas anyway, its for criminals, who everyone knows reads signs and turn around and stop their criminal activities.

you'll learn in the CHL class that the only sign that can legaly stop a CHL'er from entering a building is the PROPER 30.06.

In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following language:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.