Two New to me Acquisitions.

marano

I just recently won these two very gently used Rugers in an auction. The one with wood grips is a 1985 Ruger Blackhawk .357 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel and the one wearing the Pachmeyers is a 1994 Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I am gonna put Rosewood grips on the Super tomorrow. I am gonna check the sights in the next couple of days and will post some more pics.

44 AMP

Staff
Nice, I have some almost just like those. If you are interested in shooting comfort over appearance, leave the Pachmeyers on the Super. (and note that the grips for the Blackhawk and the Super Blackhawk are NOT interchangeable)

I put Pachmeyers on all my Blackhawks & Super B, I only leave the wood on my Vaqueros (.45Colt).

The larger grips size and the rubber is an aid to me for comfortable and accurate shooting. Your mileage may vary.

Targa

Very nice, congrats! As for the wood grips, my .44mag can grow tiresome with them but with .44 spcls I can shoot as many as my wallet can stand with no discomfort. They just look so damn good.
I imagine, albeit to a lesser extent, the same will hold true with .357's and 38's.

Master Blaster

Some folks who have a .44 mag super blackhawk find the square back trigger guard raps their index finger when they shoot it. It can even be painful with full power loads. Replacing the small wooden grips with pachmeyers or other after market grips that fill in the area between the trigger guard and grip fame make it much more pleasant to shoot. I have Hogue wood grips on mine for that reason.

44 AMP

Staff
Are the wood grips that uncomfortable on the Super Blackhawk?

It depends entirely on your personal tolerance, and what loads you are shooting. And, it's the grip shape, and size, combined with wood that makes the difference for me.

I found the point to be at about 200+gr slugs and over 1100fps. Wood grips do exactly what Sam Colt meant them to do, give you a way to hang on to the gun, and still let it roll in your hand during recoil. This brings the hammer closer to your thumb for recocking, and was VERY useful design feature for one handed operation.

HOWEVER, as recoil goes up I found the slippage with wood grips allowed the back of the trigger guard to bash my middle finger. I learned this with a 7.5" Blackhawk in .45 Colt, back in the 80s, when I was experimenting with what are now called "Ruger Only" loads.

I put on a set of Pachmeyrs, and found the combination of filling in behind the triggerguard, larger overall size and the softer rubber did a better job of "locking" the gun into my grip. It still rolls in the hand, but not as much, and I don't get a bashed finger.

So, I put Pach's on all my Blackhawks, .357, .44 & .45. I have tried the Hogue hard plastic ones, didn't like them.

I also put Pachmeyers on my S&W N frames, for the same general reason.

Wood LOOKS good, even great. Rubber feels better to me, when you get above .45 COlt level loads, and doesn't seem to hurt anything at lower recoil levels.

Your experience may be different. Personal choice is all that matters.

marano

Wood

I am not gonna be reloading and will only be shooting factory ammo. I sure want to have wood grips on it. I hope it works out.

tallball

It's a small world after all!

I have the same model Rugers in the same caliber with the same barrel lengths. They are awesome.

The wooden grips on the 44 feel fine to me, but my hands are so large that I have to curl my pinky under the grips, so my situation is different than most folks'.

Congratulations on two great revolvers! :)

Guv

Some shooters want the gun to roll in their hand. Rubber does a pretty good job of preventing this. I had Ruger install a SBH grip frame put on a 7.7" 45 Colt BH. That was a really sweet revolver.