Two more Maks - Somebody stop me!

Tom B

I went to Franklins in Athens yesterday to purchase the last circle 10 unissued Bulgie they had and while there the salesman showed me an EG circa 1961. I made an offer on both which was accepted. The EG is beautiful and if it shoots as good as it looks I will be happy. The blueing is as good as any Walther I have seen. Fit is great. The Bulgie while not an EG is no slouch either. These two to go with my Russian Com as I sort of have a collection going now. I am told a Miltex should be next. Can anyone give me info on these? Thanks.

houndawg

You could go with a Miltex, a Russian Milsurp, a post unification German Simpson Suhl, a Norinco, or a commercial Bulgie. Check www.makarov.com for better advice than anyone here could ever give you.

glockdoc

Tom B - I have to ask...what did you pay for them? I live in Dahlonega so Franklin's isn't too far away. I'm curious about the price of both guns, even though you got the last Bulgie. Also, please post a range report once you've shot them. My EG isn't very accurate, though it's very reliable and has a great trigger for a Mak. I'm wondering about the accuracy of other EGs.

Tom B

I payed $320. for both. I could have gotten them mail order sight unseen but after shipping and transfer fees these were pretty close. Also J&G are out of the $119. Bulgies.

B Shipley

They made anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand S.S. Maks (no one is quite sure about serial numbering). Go to mak.com for more info. Obviously, with such a small number, they aren't available often, and push $400 when they are, maybe more now.

[This message has been edited by B Shipley (edited June 28, 2000).]

RCS

Also, be sure you don't confuse the simpson-suhl, with the more common thalmann-suhl pistol. The easiest way to tell that it is one of the rare ones is that the Simpson-suhl pistols have an improved safety that will allow you to rack the slide with the safety on. The hammer will return to a decocked position. On all other maks, except those that have been upgraded with this safety system (avalible from makarov.com) the slide will be locked up tight when the safety is on. Of course you can also look at a picture of it on makarov.com

Tom B

Took the EG to the range today. Shot about 120rds of Russian 95gr FMJ I purchased from ammoman.com. Reliability was 100%. Accuracy was good at 25yds. About the same as the Russian Com Mak that I purchased and shot earlier. Now I still have the Bulgie unissued to go. I have a range trip planned for Sunday with that one.