Two Jefferson Parish officers arrested for looting

Status
Not open for further replies.

XavierBreath

Thursday, 7:25 p.m.
By Michelle Hunter
East Jefferson bureau
Two Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office correctional officers were among the 226 people arrested in Jefferson Parish since Hurricane Katrina made landfall.

Cynthine Adams, 48, and Menekia Humphry, 29, no addresses available, were booked with one count each of looting for taking electronic equipment from the Wal-Mart in Harvey, Sheriff’s Office spokesman John Fortunato said Thursday.

Sheriff Harry Lee said Wal-Mart officials opened the Manhattan Boulevard store to deputies and emergency personnel for supplies.

“They took something they did not need,” Lee said of the two women arrested. “You don’t need a camera.”

Both women were held in lieu of a $50,000 bond.

A total of 311 people have been arrested in Jefferson Parish since the storm hit. The charges range from drug possession to aggravated battery.

Most of the looting took place in businesses, though some homes were hit, Fortunato said.

Those arrested in Jefferson Parish could face an extended stay in state prison. Inmates from the Jefferson Parish correctional facility have been transferred into custody of the state Department of Corrections since the Gretna jail lost power. More than 1,200 inmates have been transferred. On Thursday only 35 were at the Gretna jail, where power had been restored.

No one will return to the Gretna jail until martial law is ended, Fortunato said.

With bonding companies closed, the only option for those arrested to be released from prison is to post their entire bond in cash.

Link

XavierBreath

Three FEMA contractors arrested for looting in Plaquemines Parish

Three Texas truck drivers under contract with the federal government to bring in storm relief supplies for Plaquemines Parish have been arrested for allegedly looting toys, dolls, women’s lingerie and other merchandise from a Belle Chasse Family Dollar store, authorities said.

Booked late Wednesday night with one count each of looting were Gerald W. Thomas, 47, of Tyler, Texas; Thomas Sherman, 39, also of Tyler; and Lasharon Lemons, 36, of Dallas, said Major John Marie with the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Marie said that since the relief effort began, drivers for the Federal Emergency Management Agency had been allowed to take drinks, personal grooming supplies and other small items from the Family Dollar store at 7902 Louisiana 23.

But he said the three suspects went much further, loading the cabs of their trucks with toys such as Barbie dolls, kitchen appliances, telephones, answering machines, waste paper baskets and other goods.

“When we arrested them, they had enough stolen stuff to fill five grocery carts full of property,” Marie said.

No bail had been set on the three drivers because there is no judge in Plaquemines to hear their cases, Marie said.

The arrests were the first in the parish for looting, a problem that has been widespread in neighboring New Orleans and Jefferson Parish since Katrina hit on August 29.

Under Louisiana law, a conviction for looting carries a maximum prison sentence of 15 years, a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

Link

Hal

“You don’t need a camera.”
50K is pretty steep bond for a camera.
I wonder if there's more to this than meets the eye?
Like, why a camera?
In a store like Wal Mart, the thing they went after was a camera.

My first reaction after reading this post ~ 2:00AM was that there might be a legitimate use for a digital camera in the hands of rescue workers.
Pictures of people, victums or missing persons maybe.
Photo proof of the condition of structures before and after they had been there - I use digitals of our rental property for instance in case I need B4 and afters of renters. It would be easy in all the confusion for someone to damage their own property (or remove it) and later claim the damage was done by the rescuers.

Then later I began reading al the other threads about what was happening down there. (People being forced to turn over their arms, physical assualts, etc..) Those reports seemed to surface on the 8th.

On the 4th, this was posted:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180629

"“This place is going to look like Little Somalia,” Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National Guard’s Joint Task Force told Army Times Friday as hundreds of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a massive citywide security mission from a staging area outside the Louisiana Superdome. “We’re going to go out and take this city back. This will be a combat operation to get this city under control.”

Jones said the military first needs to establish security throughout the city. Military and police officials have said there are several large areas of the city are in a full state of anarchy.""

Little Somalia General? Excuse me?

I'm beginning to wonder if these 2 may have wanted a camera to document abuses they were witnessing? This smells a lot of a white washing.

Status
Not open for further replies.