Two guys packing heat in Texas, come home , surprise burglars. Gunfight insues.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1485282

July 6, 2002, 4:43PM
3 shot after residents surprise alleged burglars
By PEGGY O'HARE
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Three people were shot early today in east Harris County when some apartment tenants arrived home and interrupted a burglary in progress, sheriff's officials said.

None of the victims died, but two of them were seriously wounded, detectives said.

The shooting happened around 2:45 a.m. in the 300 block of Audrey Lane near Woodforest when two men returned to their apartment and surprised three burglars inside the residence. The confrontation then escalated into gunfire, Harris County Sheriff's Detective Craig Thomas said.

One of the burglars was shot in the head and collapsed inside the apartment, Thomas said. The other two burglars fled before deputies arrived.

The 26-year-old burglar who was shot was taken by LifeFlight helicopter to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he was in critical condition later today, Thomas said.

The two men who live at the apartment and surprised the burglars also were shot, Thomas said. They were taken by another person to a hospital before an ambulance could be summoned. One of the men was shot in the chest and was in fair condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital. The other man suffered a superficial wound and was taken to East Houston Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released, Thomas said.

Detectives could not immediately say who fired the shots and were still investigating later today. Detectives said they did not know why the burglars targeted that apartment.

Maybe the burglers were looking for guns?

Blackhawk

Detectives could not immediately say who fired the shots and were still investigating later today. Detectives said they did not know why the burglars targeted that apartment.
I'm interested in the rest of the story.

Unless it was being watched because of foreknowledge that something worth stealing was in the apartment, randomly finding an empty occupied apartment worth hitting is a stretch, and 3 burglars without a connection to the apartment burglarizing it is another stretch.

I think the detectives do know, but they're not saying....

TexasVet

randomly finding an empty occupied apartment worth hitting is a stretch, and 3 burglars without a connection to the apartment burglarizing it is another stretch.

Well, you've obviously never lived in apartment in Houston. I did and it happens EVERY DAY. And I'm still looking for the part where it says it was "worth hitting". You do understand the criminal habits of crackheads and other junkies, don't you? If they make 10 bucks, it's "worth hitting".:rolleyes:

Pendragon

I have lots of nerdy friends who live in crummy apartments - stacked floor to ceiling with electronics and DVDs/CDs/videogames, etc.

Foxy

One of the seriously wounded was a guy who owned the apartment. Don't think he is a 'perp.'

Blackhawk

Well, you've obviously never lived in apartment in Houston. I did and it happens EVERY DAY. And I'm still looking for the part where it says it was "worth hitting". You do understand the criminal habits of crackheads and other junkies, don't you? If they make 10 bucks, it's "worth hitting".
Never have. Maybe this is attrition at work. Armed crackheads and junkies should be a dying class.... :rolleyes:

Rolkin

I have lots of nerdy friends who live in crummy apartments - stacked floor to ceiling with electronics and DVDs/CDs/videogames, etc.

Where did you say they lived again :p