Two-fold Dillon die question

Mylhouse

Hey y'all-

Inquiring minds (well, at least mine) want to know:

1) I've heard that Dillon dies are actually made by Redding. Is this true?

2) I've been hearing GREAT things about the Redding Profile Crimp die for revolvers. Dillon calls their revolver crimp die the "ACCU-CRIMP" die. The tech at Dillon, who wasn't very helpful (believe it or not...guess there's a first time for everything), said that "it was the best crimp die available and probably works much in the same way as the Redding Profile Crimp." Is this true, is the Dillon as good as the Redding, and do they crimp in the same manner?

Thanks!

renaissance7697

For We Shoot2

I have been using the Lee Factory Crimp Dies ( FCD ) in .45acp, 38spl, and 9mm.

I actually use them more for the "After Seating > Case Resizing" feature built in to the FCD than the crimp itself.

(I sometimes have a problem with the finished cartridges "bulging" just below the base of the seated bullet, after Seating the bullet.
Running the finished cartridge through the FCD after seating the bullet cures the problems 100%)

Do the Reding Dies have a resizing feature like the Lee?

It is a disappointment to me that Lee does not make a FCD for .32 ACP.
Does Reding?

Intel6

I don't know about Reddding making the Dillon dies. I really don't think they do since there are zero similarities between the two. I can't see a company that makes dies making a completly different die, why fix it if it ain't broke? If they did make them I would think they would have some similarities.

I do know that Dillon used to sell Redding dies for caliber's that they didn't have in their own brand dies. I think they still do that with some of the rifle caliber's they offer. That might be where the idea that Redding made their dies.

Mike Dillon isn't stupid and knows a good thing when he sees it. The Redding Profile crimp has proven itself and he was smart enough to use a similar crimp. Calling it an "accu crimp" tells me it is "similar" to the Profile Crimp and not exactly a "Profile Crimp."

As far as which is better, I only use real Redding PC's and have found them to be the best.

:D

Once I started using lee factory Crimp dies in my Dillion 550 I stopped using all my other crimp dies including my beautiful redding crimp dies.

I haven't had any jams since I started using them.

Dead-Nuts-Zero

I hope this question fits into this thread. If not, I will go somewhere else and ask. So for now, my question is on the Redding crimping dies.

I purchased two of them .380 and .40 and after having them awhile, I decided to get them out and set them up. It is then that I saw that I had something different than I thought I had bought. Maybe this is why I got them for 10 bucks new unused. :confused: :barf:

These crimpers do a taper crimp, then finished with a roll crimp. Are all Redding crimp dies of this style? I thought I was getting a taper only as it was for .380 and .40 rounds. Everything I read in the books like Lyman and Speer etc. tell me that you Never use a roll crimp for .380 and .40 unless there is a canilure ring to crimp into. And, well I don't see where I will be able to use these dies.

Does anyone know if the roll crimp is possibly so very slight, that it can be used? The instructions are quite brief and every time I think about calling Redding, it's a sunday afternoon or a week night when they are not availible. Someday I will remember to call them. I am kinda hoping that I can adjust out the roll part and just use the taper. I bought them because of the great reputation of their dies and many have said they use them to finish out a load. So I thought I found a good buy. Maybe not!

I am hoping that if the taper tightens up the bullet, that maybe the very slightest little roll will give me a better seal and not effect headspace etc. giving me a superior load.

What are you Redding users able to tell me about this?

Thanks, and as always, I hope to find several good answers and get my help right here on the FL Forum.

:cool:

G56

1) I've heard that Dillon dies are actually made by Redding. Is this true?
I seriously doubt that, they have nothing in common that I can see.

In most cases...when a company gets their product manufactured by another company, 99.9% of the time it is easily detected by a close look.

Russ5924

Me to, all I use is the Lee dies.Why should I buy the Dillon when you can get 2 sets of Lee dies for the same price. :) But do like ther :D e press